Unit animations - Giant Spiders

Dark Sheer

Deity
Here is a unit for those who like some fantasy taste in their mod. ;)

It has Default, Run, Attack & Death. I didn't give it any fortify or Victory flc as I doubt the spider will fortify itself differently or jump up in joy when victorious. ;)

By the way, as this is a flavoured unit, it does not come with Civ color. Not that it is very hard to do the Civ color, but I do hate to see 16 (or even 32 ) different colored Spiders. :p

Remember, while the flc filenames is GiantSpider, the ini file name is Giant Spider, so remember to add the space when you add the unit in Civ3Edit. :) I personally use this unit to replace my barbarian horseman (3/2/2) so when there is an uprising my map is now crawling with all these Giant Spiders. :lol:

Here is the zip which also comes with the unique spider sound files. :D

Attachments

• giant_spider.zip
    442 KB · Views: 701
As always, all my animation comes with a preview ;)

Attachments

• giant_spider.gif
    giant_spider.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,484
I don't think using this to replace the Barbarian horsemen would work - don't barbarian units have to be buildable by the civs in order for the barbs to have them? Isn't that what stops barb horsemen being there at the start of the game? Does it work in game?

Zulu - The horseman only appears for the barbarians when a civ discovers horseback riding. If you wanted a delay for the spiders then give it a prerequisite (it can be any tech). I've got 2 units in my game that are unique to barbarians.

Great addition! I like the Barbarian idea also. I like a little spice in the early game. I also use the Sith Knight as a civ specific scout for a bit o visual diversity. Thanks for another great addition Darksheer! :goodjob:

This could make an interesting futuristic hidden nationality unit. Prerequisite: Advanced Genetic Mutation. You're really really sick and tired of the Babylonians but you can't afford to go to war with them right now...create an army of giant spiders and air drop them smack into the middle of Babylon! :goodjob:

I look forward to seeing laser infanty and mechwalkers battling giant spiders. :D

Didn't the Kremlin work on something like this back in the 70s? :eek: :p :rolleyes: :confused: ;)

Cool Spider.... Now I have Giant Squids in the oceans and Giant Spiders in the forests... My warriors are beginning to get worried, and they no longer want to venture out of their cities :)

Man this unit is awesome, i can't believe how real it is too, whenever i kill i spider thats exactly how it looks it just curls up and the attack i think looks really, thakfully no spider has attacked me where it was big enogh for me to be able to see it attack, oh also do you have the movie, eight legged freaks in malasyia if so did you get the idea for this unit from that or something?

Well, to those who wondered, I made this unit when I am travelling around in China and have a little boring time in the evening in the different hotel. ;)

I am leaving for Malaysia (Home! Woohoo! :) ) tomorrow. Once home I will continue on the MusketInfantry. :cool:

I have a problem.
How can i use the new units.
I need a tutorial for the installation of the units.
Please answer!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone actually previewed this unit or used it in game? I previewed all the animations in FLICSter and for each one, the frame delay was set to 20 - making the animation really, really fast. I thought it might be a problem with FLICSter so I previewed animations from other units: no problem there.

Originally posted by dog
Didn't the Kremlin work on something like this back in the 70s? :eek: :p :rolleyes: :confused: ;)

Explain please.

I guess you extracted this unit from Neverwinter Nights, if I am not wrong... But looks great! Haven't tested it yet though...

Originally posted by hzm

Explain please.

Back in the 70s when I was a kid you could find these lurid paperbacks about things like the Bermuda Triangle, UFOs, The Philadelphia Experiment etc etc. One of the themes some of the books tackled was "weird experiments" being conducted by the Kremlin (or as they liked to say..."behind the Iron Curtain"). Soviet flying saucers, telekinetic assassins, Reichian weather weapons, psychic spies, intelligent dogs as secret agents, genetically created supersoldiers...all kinds of weird X-files stuff. Just the kind of stuff a young male kid loves to read about. A band, the 13th Floor Elevators, had a song about a guy who was "working in the Kremlin with a three headed dog." That's what I was talking about...:scan:

did you know the US government actually made a flyable flying saucer. I saw it on TV and it was cool. of course it was flawed but it still flew succesfully and was used to scare the people. Then Congress denied it was real but people working at the base where some were stored go pictures and records of it. So in the 70's if you saw a UFO it was probably the US government ;)

For the record, this is NOT extracted from Neverwinter Night, as I don't have that game. ;)

As to the animation speed, I tried it in game and it looks alright to me on a PIII 700 (my notebook :) ).

Top Bottom