New Department Proposal: Office of Public Relations

interjectiv

SAC Member
I am proposing a new department to be named: Office of Public Relations. I would also like to head up this department.

This department is a good idea because the ideas and thoughs of the participants on the democracy game should be documented and organized and processed through the correct channels instead of assorted posts that might end up missing and un-read. I also think the department should take care of elections and polling (i.e. because public citizens vote for the leaders), so it would see fit that they organize and accomplish this.

Structure of the Office of Public Relations
Chief Officer of Public Relations: Elected
Assitant Chief Officer of Public Relations: Elected along with Chief
Director of Elections: Hired by Cabinet
Director of Polling: Hired by Cabinet
Director of Organization and Issuing: Hired by Chief

If this department passes, I would like to be a canidate for the Chief Officer of Public Relations.

Here ends my proposal.

io/aa

I would like to move this to the citizens forum and put it in the discussion registry.

That was close. I wonder what would have happend if we had both tried to move this at the same time...

Do you guys have any thoughts on the department?

interjectiv, can you say a little more clearly what the main objective of the DPR would be? To summarize events for citizens from disparate posts?

I think there are some legal issues that would need to be resolved as responsibility for elections and polls (and the right of any citizen to create a poll) are spelled out in our constitution, Code of Law, and Code of Standards. Your suggestions on how this might mesh with our laws would be helpful

Could you explain the specifics of the office a bit more? I think I know what you're getting at, but I don't want to comment yet as I may have got the wrong end of the stick. :)

EDIT: Goddammit Danke, stop showing up my slow typing! ;)

I think you are mistaken on the subject of the DPR.

It would not, conduct polling, rather gather, organize, and document results for all polling matters. It is just a way to make sure all polls are heard and recigonized by the government.

I'd think it as an easy way to keep in touch with the citizens thoughts and ideas.

Some kind of poll monitoring and follow-through would be very helpful. Before being modded I shepherded most things through but now I'm finding my time a bit crunched and am having difficulty doing this. Having a dedicated position responsible for watching the official polls and poking people as necessary to get them to the finish line would be very welcome.

Maybe you're right? But there could still be a position dedicated to the work. Maybe it should be converted to that proposal instead of an entire department?

Personally I'd suggest either tagging "poll shepherding" onto the Judiciary's list of duties, or creating a non-elected office for the purpose. I don't think this really warrants a full blown government department.

Overall, the proposal has been declined.

Thank you gentlemen for the contributation of your posts.

Originally posted by Eklektikos
Personally I'd suggest either tagging "poll shepherding" onto the Judiciary's list of duties, or creating a non-elected office for the purpose. I don't think this really warrants a full blown government department.

hehe. Especially since without the poll sheparding, it would take at least 6 months to get this department added to the constitution.

It's not declined! We can definitely use the help and it's a very good idea for dedicated offices. Let's assume that each of these positions will be an office. What will their specific duties be?

Originally posted by interjectiv
Overall, the proposal has been declined.

Thank you gentlemen for the contributation of your posts.

I wouldn't really look at it that way. These are only our opinions. Others may think it is a great idea. Personally, I wouldn't want the job of public relations leader, as we, as citizens, can be rather....um....difficult.;)

If it was one person:

The officers job would be to gather, organize, and document polls/election results and issue them to the citizens. This would not make the officer the administrator of polling, just a way to keep the opinions organized. The person then has the duty to issue monthly reports on attitude of the citizens.

It would also be that persons duty to conduct a series of polling at the end of every pass of 90 days to insure that the opinion of the people is not lost or forgotten.

Those would be specific duties of the Chief of Public Relations.

Actually, I think a good idea would be to either create a new sticky thread in the polls forum for poll results exclusively, or to post the results in the poll registry thread. In spite of my general antipathy towards creating more sticky threads, I think the first option might be better in that it would be more readable. This would be operable whether a PR office is created or the duties are just foisted off on the Judiciary

I think that the polling standards commission needs an official officer (officy) person to oversee pollong (EDIT: no, not a type of squid, a typo) and make sure people (ie dis ;)) are posting legal polls. This could be combined with a role to make sure the results of polls were being advertised and adhered to when appropriate. This was almost always done by Shaitan in the past and I think it is a duty that should not fall to the mods or the judiciary.

I think we need a Chief of Public Relations and Polling for this. This should be an elected office in the safe way as census and RPG manager and NOT a member of the executive.

See, if you only give a proposal 2 hours of debate you may miss the people who come out guns blazing on your side! I never let go of an issue until it is well and truly dead. Sometimes longer.

I stricly am against having yet another department :p

If it is an office, any leader can decide to put it up and nominate a head or have it elected by citizenry.

Introducing yet another department will just clutter our govenmental processes.

I would propose the new president should put up a PR-Office directly from the start. Like every other office (census, cartographic etc.).

Top Bottom