SCOTUS news and opinions

Justices Will Weigh Cities’ Policies on Homeless Camps
BY LAURA KUSISTO AND JESS BRAVIN

The Supreme Court agreed Friday to decide whether it is constitutional for municipalities to prohibit homeless people from camping in public spaces when they have nowhere else to go, an issue that has galvanized officials across the political spectrum as they look to address the growing problem of encampments. The case involves civil ordinances in the small Oregon city of Grants Pass, which prohibited homeless individuals from sleeping in public with rudimentary protections from the elements, such as blankets.
In a 2-to-1 ruling, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found the measure violated the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. The decision largely relied upon a 2018 decision from the same court that said the city of Boise, Idaho, couldn’t prosecute people for sleeping on public property when there aren’t sufficient shelter beds.

The cases have loomed over homelessness policy in western cities, where government officials say courts have interpreted the rulings to prevent them from clearing homeless encampments even when they have become dangerous or unsanitary. The Ninth Circuit has jurisdiction over nine western states and U.S. possessions in the Pacific. “These decisions are legally wrong and have tied the hands of local governments as they work to address the urgent homelessness crisis,” said Theane Evangelis, a lawyer for Grants Pass. “The tragedy is that these decisions are actually harming the very people they purport to protect.” Ed Johnson, litigation director at the Oregon Law Center that represents the homeless people, saw it differently. “The issue before the court is whether cities can punish homeless residents simply for existing without access to shelter,” he said. “Some politicians and others are cynically and falsely blaming the judiciary for the homelessness crisis to distract the public and deflect blame for years of failed policies.”

The Supreme Court received more than two dozen briefs urging it to hear Grants Pass’s appeal, with submissions coming from leading officials in red and blue states. Cities from Phoenix to San Francisco asked the court to resolve the issue, as did a group of Republican state attorneys general and California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom. Court decisions “have paralyzed communities and blunted the force of even the most common-sense and good-faith laws to limit the impact of encampments,” Newsom said in his brief.
The high court could hear oral arguments as soon as April. Local authorities once had broad power to clear people they considered undesirable from public property through vagrancy and loitering laws. Over the 20th century, however, the Supreme Court turned a critical eye toward measures that appeared to punish individuals because they were homeless or unemployed— that is, because of their status rather than conduct.

In 1972, the court struck down vagrancy laws as too vague to be constitutional, effectively giving police too much discretion to decide who was lawfully standing on a street corner and who was illegally prowling, loitering or, as a Jacksonville, Fla., ordinance put it, “nightwalking.”

The court took four other cases on Friday, including a labor dispute between Star-bucks and workers seeking to organize at a Memphis, Tenn., coffee shop. In 2022, Starbucks fired seven employees who helped stage an after-hours media event at the store. Federal courts ordered the company to reinstate the employees while the National Labor Relations Board weighed an unfair labor practice charge against the coffee retailer. The Sixth Circuit, in Cincinnati, found that by firing leaders of the organizing drive, Starbucks interfered with employees’ unionization rights, leading other workers to fear retaliation if they supported the effort. On appeal to the Supreme Court, Starbucks argues that courts must consider additional factors before issuing such temporary orders. The employees ultimately voted 11-3 in favor of unionizing.

Los Angeles city employees cleaned up an encampment as homeless people moved into temporary housing in October. JAE C. HONG/ ASSOCIATED PRESS

Supreme Court rejects antitrust fight challenging Apple’s app store​

The decision leaves in place a ruling that was largely a win for Apple.

By JOSH SISCO
01/16/2024 11:46 AM EST

Apple beat back a key antitrust challenge to its app store Tuesday after the Supreme Court declined to intervene in a yearslong legal fight. The high court, without explaining, said it will not hear appeals of a lower court ruling in a case brought in 2020 by Epic Games, maker of the popular online game Fortnite, against Apple. The decision leaves in place a ruling that was largely a win for Apple, and puts a spotlight on the Justice Department, which is in the final innings of four-year antitrust probe of the company.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals largely sided with Apple last April, finding that a lower court judge correctly ruled Apple is not liable under federal antitrust law for conduct related to its App Store. The ruling followed a monthlong trial in 2021. In a win for Epic, however, the 9th Circuit also upheld the part of U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers’ ruling under California state law striking down Apple’s so-called anti-steering provisions that block developers from informing their customers of cheaper prices outside the App Store.

Both sides appealed the ruling.

The crux of Epic’s complaint is that developers are forced to use Apple’s App Store to sell software on iPhones, which funnels 30 percent of most purchases back to Apple. Epic kicked off the fight in the summer of 2020 when it bucked Apple’s rules by including a nonsanctioned payment option in its Fortnite app. Apple then booted Fortnite from the App Store, and Epic responded with its antitrust suit. “The court battle to open iOS to competing stores and payments is lost in the United States,” said Epic CEO Tim Sweeney, calling it “a sad outcome for all developers.”

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Epic lodged similar allegations against Google at the same time it brought its case against Apple in 2020. Epic won a jury verdict late last year that Google’s control of its Android mobile operating system violates antitrust law, with a remedy decision pending from a federal judge. Google is also paying $700 million and will make several concessions in a settlement with state attorneys general.

Apple is also facing a possible Justice Department antitrust case and European regulations that could drastically impact its business.

Justices Will Weigh Cities’ Policies on Homeless Camps
BY LAURA KUSISTO AND JESS BRAVIN

The Supreme Court agreed Friday to decide whether it is constitutional for municipalities to prohibit homeless people from camping in public spaces when they have nowhere else to go, an issue that has galvanized officials across the political spectrum as they look to address the growing problem of encampments. The case involves civil ordinances in the small Oregon city of Grants Pass, which prohibited homeless individuals from sleeping in public with rudimentary protections from the elements, such as blankets.
In a 2-to-1 ruling, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found the measure violated the Eighth Amendment’s prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. The decision largely relied upon a 2018 decision from the same court that said the city of Boise, Idaho, couldn’t prosecute people for sleeping on public property when there aren’t sufficient shelter beds.

The cases have loomed over homelessness policy in western cities, where government officials say courts have interpreted the rulings to prevent them from clearing homeless encampments even when they have become dangerous or unsanitary. The Ninth Circuit has jurisdiction over nine western states and U.S. possessions in the Pacific. “These decisions are legally wrong and have tied the hands of local governments as they work to address the urgent homelessness crisis,” said Theane Evangelis, a lawyer for Grants Pass. “The tragedy is that these decisions are actually harming the very people they purport to protect.” Ed Johnson, litigation director at the Oregon Law Center that represents the homeless people, saw it differently. “The issue before the court is whether cities can punish homeless residents simply for existing without access to shelter,” he said. “Some politicians and others are cynically and falsely blaming the judiciary for the homelessness crisis to distract the public and deflect blame for years of failed policies.”

The Supreme Court received more than two dozen briefs urging it to hear Grants Pass’s appeal, with submissions coming from leading officials in red and blue states. Cities from Phoenix to San Francisco asked the court to resolve the issue, as did a group of Republican state attorneys general and California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom. Court decisions “have paralyzed communities and blunted the force of even the most common-sense and good-faith laws to limit the impact of encampments,” Newsom said in his brief.
The high court could hear oral arguments as soon as April. Local authorities once had broad power to clear people they considered undesirable from public property through vagrancy and loitering laws. Over the 20th century, however, the Supreme Court turned a critical eye toward measures that appeared to punish individuals because they were homeless or unemployed— that is, because of their status rather than conduct.

In 1972, the court struck down vagrancy laws as too vague to be constitutional, effectively giving police too much discretion to decide who was lawfully standing on a street corner and who was illegally prowling, loitering or, as a Jacksonville, Fla., ordinance put it, “nightwalking.”

The court took four other cases on Friday, including a labor dispute between Star-bucks and workers seeking to organize at a Memphis, Tenn., coffee shop. In 2022, Starbucks fired seven employees who helped stage an after-hours media event at the store. Federal courts ordered the company to reinstate the employees while the National Labor Relations Board weighed an unfair labor practice charge against the coffee retailer. The Sixth Circuit, in Cincinnati, found that by firing leaders of the organizing drive, Starbucks interfered with employees’ unionization rights, leading other workers to fear retaliation if they supported the effort. On appeal to the Supreme Court, Starbucks argues that courts must consider additional factors before issuing such temporary orders. The employees ultimately voted 11-3 in favor of unionizing.

Los Angeles city employees cleaned up an encampment as homeless people moved into temporary housing in October. JAE C. HONG/ ASSOCIATED PRESS
I think it's probably a pipe-dream to hope that someone could make a case for housing as a right. I believe the ability "to access housing free from discrimination" is currently considered a right, but there's no right to housing, per se. It's still just a market commodity that you can have if you can pay for it, just like anything else. I don't really know what kind of a court case could change that. I heard on the radio yesterday that the City of Boston's residential construction ordinances run 4,000 pages, and are so Byzantine they're suspected of strongly contributing to rising housing prices all by themselves (e.g. developers have to hire an attorney; or they have to spend so much time getting permits and jumping through hoops that it causes meaningful, artificial delays, running up construction costs; etc). I've never read any of it, but I'd be willing to hazard a guess that anyone who could think of anything that would impede new construction in their neighborhood - thus reducing property values of existing properties - had something written into the code just to make it more difficult. Could somebody make a case that making construction of new residential units so arduous that it constitutes a violation of the civil rights of the citizens downstream who are looking for a place to live that's within commuting distance of their job? I have no idea, but it's possible that's what it would take. I remember a local property owner I know being miffed that renters had any say in the construction of the town's new high school. Our system makes it clearly against the interests of existing property owners to even allow new housing to be built anywhere near them. We live in a NIMBY country.

The issue seems to be whether forcing someone out of a dwelling [albeit in a public space] is some form of punishment, something that I think the 9th Circuit Court completely fails at understanding in the most basic sense. Enforcing a law contrary to what you might like to do at any one moment (i.e. sleep wherever you want) is not punishment.
They probably couldn't care less about the economics of the issue. But I haven't read their exact argument to comment any further.

The issue seems to be whether forcing someone out of a dwelling [albeit in a public space] is some form of punishment, something that I think the 9th Circuit Court completely fails at understanding in the most basic sense. Enforcing a law contrary to what you might like to do at any one moment (i.e. sleep wherever you want) is not punishment.
I haven't read the case, so I'm just speculating, but I suspect the fact that homeless people have nowhere else to go is the salient point. I'd think that pushing people out of a public space knowing that they'll literally be on the streets is a de facto punishment; whether it's a de jure punishment or not is just a technicality. If you get too invested in maintaining the system, you can lose sight of your humanity. Systems should serve people, not the other way around. So if the government is going to use its police department to clear a park, the government is morally obliged to provide those people somewhere else to go, if they don't have one.

They probably couldn't care less about the economics of the issue.
Yeah, prolly not.

To be fair, though, I think principles like narrowly-tailored decisions (e.g. just rule on the case before you) and judicial activism (e.g. just rule on cases that are brought to you) are probably valuable. That is, if the case brought before them wasn't about the economic issues, we probably won't want them ruling on the economic issues. It's sort of like the old 'only answer the question you're asked.' If someone asks a federal judge "do you know what time it is?" we kinda want the judge to reflexively say, "yes." And if no one brings a case before a federal judge or justice, they should just be hanging around in their chambers doing crossword puzzles and watching reruns of Seinfeld until it's time to go home for the day.

Supreme Court allows agents to cut razor wire at Texas-Mexico border​

The US Supreme Court has ruled that border patrol agents can remove razor wire that has been installed by Texas officials along the US-Mexico border.

The 5-4 ruling on Monday temporarily pauses a lower court's ruling that forced the federal agents to stop cutting wire near Eagle Pass, Texas.

The fencing had been authorised by Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott.

The Biden White House requested that agents be allowed to continue cutting the wire, arguing it harms migrants.

Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Amy Coney Barrett joined the court's three liberal justices to rule in favour of the White House request.

None of the judges offered an explanation for their votes.

Lawyers for the Biden administration say the wire restricts the ability of border agents to process migrants who have already arrived on US soil.

Mr Abbott's government has also installed buoys along the Rio Grande river, as part of a larger effort to deter illegal migration known as Operation Lone Star.

The Biden administration is challenging the buoys in a separate federal case.

The roughly 30-mile (46-km) razor fence has been criticised by Mexican officials as a violation of international law. Migrants have been known to bypass the wire, swimming and climbing under it, often getting injured in the process.

The Eagle Pass area, where the fencing and buoys are located, has seen about 270,000 migrant detentions this fiscal year.

Operation Lone Star also includes sending migrants in buses to Democratic-run cities.

Last year, Texas sued the federal government after Border Patrol agents cut through portions of the fencing, arguing that they were unable to reach the border they police.

It has been seen as a major escalation in the legal battles over immigration between Joe Biden, a Democrat, and Mr Abbott.

Earlier this month, Texas officials seized a park along the border and declared that federal agents were banned from accessing it.

Last week, Texas ignored a demand from the Department of Homeland Security to resume federal access to the park, which is used by agents to patrol the border.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68064246

Will SCOTUS have the [stones] to definitively resolve the question before them today (whether Colorado can remove Trump from the ballot)? I feel like how they rule on this case not only has huge implications about US presidential elections, but it'll tell us something about this Court. There are ways they could punt and leave it essentially unresolved, while still technically fulfilling their role here. That might be the worst outcome, in some ways.

The Court convenes in about 2 minutes, but of course oral arguments could take all day.

I think we get a limited ruling. But hey, they surprise me sometimes.

They're actually broadcasting oral arguments on the radio. I don't remember ever hearing a Supreme Court case live like this before.

And Justice Thomas is asking a question! :run:

---

I think we get a limited ruling. But hey, they surprise me sometimes.
Yeah, same.

Live now: SCOTUS hearing the CO banning Trump from the ballot.

MSNBC commentators saying it went all Trump's way.

This really scary.

While eyes are on Trump, Supreme Court conservatives prepare to rewrite the rulebook​

By Joan Biskupic, CNN Senior Supreme Court Analyst

Contentious Supreme Court oral arguments this week offered a reminder that while the public focuses on the Donald Trump election cases, the court’s actions this spring will be equally consequential for an array of rules set in Washington governing American life.
Supreme Court conservatives are accelerating their moves to overhaul the way the federal government protects Americans, whether from air pollution or unfair financial practices.

Much more at the link.

What are bump stocks? US top court to decide if they count as machine guns​

The US Supreme Court will soon decide whether to lift a ban on bump stocks, the gun attachments that let rifles fire hundreds of bullets per minute.

The Trump administration banned the stocks by classifying them as machine guns after they were used in the deadliest mass shooting in US history.

Under the 1986 National Firearms Act, owning a machine gun is illegal.

The court will hear arguments on Wednesday in the case and is expected to issue a decision in June.

In Garland v Cargill, a Texas resident has challenged the bump stock ban, saying that the government interpreted what qualifies as a machine gun too broadly.

In 2017, a gunman opened fire at a concert in Las Vegas, killing 60 people and injuring hundreds in the deadliest shooting the country has ever experienced.

Officials determined that he had attached then-legal - but controversial - bump stocks onto 12 of his semi-automatic rifles to fire hundreds of rounds per minute, the same rate as many machine guns.

Political pressure grew to outlaw the relatively new devices, which could be obtained without the extensive background checks required for purchasing automatic weapons.

It is illegal to modify the internal components of semi-automatic rifles - which typically manage about 60 aimed shots per minute - to make them fully automatic, but gun owners can legally buy accessories to increase the rate of fire.

The bump stock harnesses a rifle's recoil to rapidly fire multiple rounds. It replaces the weapon's stock, which is held against the shoulder, and allows the gun to slide back and forward between a shooter's shoulder and trigger finger. That motion - or "bump"- lets the gun fire without the shooter having to move their trigger finger.

Shortly after the Las Vegas shooting, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) under President Donald Trump expanded the definition of machine gun to prohibit the production, sale, and possession of bump stocks.

In the 1986 firearms act, machine guns are defined as any "weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger".

After the ban was imposed, Texan Michael Cargill challenged the ATF's rule.

A federal appeals court reversed an earlier decision that "bump stocks qualify as machine guns under the best interpretation", saying it was too broad.

Now the conservative-majority Supreme Court will have the final word.

If it sides with the Texas Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, it would invalidate the ATF's rule and any states that do not have their own laws in place restricting bump stocks would automatically see bump stocks legalised again.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68419279

SCOTUS goes all in for Trump's delays.

Supreme Court to decide Trump immunity claim, further delaying election subversion trial​

The Supreme Court agreed Wednesday to decide whether Donald Trump may claim immunity in special counsel Jack Smith’s election subversion case, adding another explosive appeal from the former president to its docket and further delaying his federal trial.

The court agreed to expedite the case and hear arguments the week of April 22.

The move puts the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination on track for another high-stakes date with the high court, which earlier this month heard arguments in a separate case questioning whether Trump disqualified himself from running for a second term under the 14th Amendment’s “insurrection ban.”

[IMG width="291px" height="163.458px" alt="Trump attends the closing arguments in the Trump Organization civil fraud trial in New York on Thursday."]https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/e86d2e0c-f0f0-4c9e-8fa4-d5ab31029933.JPG?c=16x9&q=h_144,w_256,c_fill[/IMG]

CNN has reached out to Smith’s office for comment.

The decision is a significant victory for Trump for at least two reasons: He will now be able to argue for sweeping presidential immunity that, if granted, could undermine the bevy of legal challenges he faces and he will also be able to push off a trial, likely for several weeks at least.

Had the justices rejected Trump’s emergency request to pause the case, Smith would have been able to move more quickly – virtually guaranteeing a trial before the November election.

The court had waited nearly two weeks to issue its ruling on how it would proceed, suggesting there was behind-the-scened maneuvering, said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law.

“The surprise is that it took the court the better part of two weeks to reach this result, from which no justice has publicly dissented,” Vladeck said. “The justices couldn’t reach consensus on a way to resolve the matter without giving it full briefing and argument.”

“It’s hard to read any tea leaves into whether that makes the court more likely to side with former President Trump when it finally resolves his immunity claim, but it certainly means that, even in the worst-case scenario for Trump, the January 6 prosecution will be delayed for at least another 3-5 months. That’s a pretty big win for Trump even if he ends up losing this case,” Vladeck added.

Trump had filed an emergency request at the Supreme Court on February 12 asking the justices to block a lower court ruling that he was not immune from Smith’s election subversion charges. The former president argued immunity was needed to ensure that future presidents are not subjected to criminal charges. Without that guarantee, he said, “the presidency as we know it will cease to exist.”

But that argument went nowhere in lower courts. A unanimous 57-page opinion from the DC Circuit earlier this month rejected the immunity claims. Trump and Smith filed dueling briefs at the Supreme Court over whether the decision should be put on hold.

Smith countered in his own filing on February 14 that Trump wasn’t close to meeting the standard required to pause proceedings.

US District Judge Tanya Chutkan postponed the first trial date, originally set for March 4, while appeals courts wrestled with Trump’s claims. Given the delays already, however, a trial likely wouldn’t begin until May at the earliest.

Supreme Court may announce at least one opinion Monday as US waits for word on Trump ballot case​

The Supreme Court may hand down at least one opinion on Monday, according to a new post on the court’s website. The announcement is certain to drive speculation that the justices are prepared to decide whether former President Donald Trump is eligible to appear on Colorado’s presidential ballot.

The court never discloses in advance which opinions it will issue. However, the justices may wish to decide the Trump matter before Colorado voters head to the polls this week for the Super Tuesday primary.

Trump’s name will appear on Colorado’s ballot regardless – the ballots were printed weeks ago. But without a ruling from the Supreme Court, there was no guarantee that voters who picked the former president would have their choice counted if the justices decided he was ineligible to serve. Also at stake: whether Trump’s name can appear on general election ballots in November.

[IMG width="395px" height="221.876px" alt="The 14th Amendment was passed by Congress June 13, 1866, and ratified July 9, 1868."]https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/14th-amendment-pg1of2-ac.jpg?c=16x9&q=h_144,w_256,c_fill[/IMG]

The ruling may also decide the matter for other states that have similar challenges pending. A judge in Illinois removed Trump from that state’s ballot on Wednesday, though the decision was put on hold to give the former president time to appeal. The Supreme Court heard arguments February 8 in a challenge to Trump’s eligibility under the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist clause.” Six Colorado voters claimed he disqualified himself because of his remarks on January 6, 2021, leading up to the attack on the US Capitol.

A majority of the justices – both conservative and liberal – appeared to have concerns with the claim during those arguments and seemed to back Trump’s position.

I don't get why some of you are so worried. The newest members are quite young and they'll probably get more conservative as they get older.

Supreme Court may announce at least one opinion Monday as US waits for word on Trump ballot case​

The Supreme Court may hand down at least one opinion on Monday, according to a new post on the court’s website. The announcement is certain to drive speculation that the justices are prepared to decide whether former President Donald Trump is eligible to appear on Colorado’s presidential ballot.

The court never discloses in advance which opinions it will issue. However, the justices may wish to decide the Trump matter before Colorado voters head to the polls this week for the Super Tuesday primary.

Trump’s name will appear on Colorado’s ballot regardless – the ballots were printed weeks ago. But without a ruling from the Supreme Court, there was no guarantee that voters who picked the former president would have their choice counted if the justices decided he was ineligible to serve. Also at stake: whether Trump’s name can appear on general election ballots in November.

[IMG width="395px" height="221.876px" alt="The 14th Amendment was passed by Congress June 13, 1866, and ratified July 9, 1868."]https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/14th-amendment-pg1of2-ac.jpg?c=16x9&q=h_144,w_256,c_fill[/IMG]
The ruling may also decide the matter for other states that have similar challenges pending. A judge in Illinois removed Trump from that state’s ballot on Wednesday, though the decision was put on hold to give the former president time to appeal. The Supreme Court heard arguments February 8 in a challenge to Trump’s eligibility under the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist clause.” Six Colorado voters claimed he disqualified himself because of his remarks on January 6, 2021, leading up to the attack on the US Capitol.

A majority of the justices – both conservative and liberal – appeared to have concerns with the claim during those arguments and seemed to back Trump’s position.

So we got our ruling and as expected, they ruled in Trump's favor. Also as expected, they dodged the question of whether Trump committed insurrection. The decision essentially ends the controversy of states kicking Trump off the ballot. The SCOTUS says that individual states can't do that, only Congress can. Obviously Congress isn't going to kick Trump off the ballot, so that's it, for now at least.

Top Bottom