Domestic Discussion - Military Academy

FionnMcCumhall

Emperor
Ok we can now build the Military Academy. Discussion on where to build it shall now commence. After careful consideration i found these cities that could build the MA in a somewhat timely fashion. Hopefully we get another GL so we can rush build this small wonder.

Bremershaven - 24 turns
Kells - 35 turns
Kyoto - 29 turns
Tokyo - 35 turns
debate away after a day of discussion i shall post a poll.

Ill repost my opinion here as well.
I agree with cyc we should be building the MA in bremershaven, it will take us less turns. Plus its away from the fighting that may or may not come to that area.

The Military Academy should be placed in the city with the most potential FUTURE production. (even if that means mining a bunch of grasslands temporarily). The Industrial Age is fast approaching, and so are rails. We need an area with lots of mountains/hills, and little corruption.

Originally posted by Chieftess
The Military Academy should be placed in the city with the most potential FUTURE production. (even if that means mining a bunch of grasslands temporarily). The Industrial Age is fast approaching, and so are rails. We need an area with lots of mountains/hills, and little corruption.

Um....uh.... Strider's Haven?

Chieftess is very correct here. We're going to want to pump out armies for a long time. The city that can put up the building now may not be the one that can get the armies out the fastest later on.

Well, Kuhkaff is fairly well situated for production later on. It has a lot of hills surrounding it and some mountains also. I believe build time for the Academy is about 41 turns, but if we were to mine some of the hills that time could be shortened. The North Province would be proud to hold the Military Academy, as it has been training troops for quite a while now. The increased tile production would be appreciated also.

The Military Academy should be in a city that will only grow to around size 21. Unfortunately... one of the canaidate cities (when I looked at the map when we were taking Japan LONG ago) is in Indian territory...

Can you be a little more specific, CT?

I'd have to do some research and look. :)

It would be to our advantage, also, to build it in a city that already has most of its infrastructure in place, so we done't have to interrupt army production to work on other things. That consideration would favor an older city.

But then there's the problem. While it could still build it, that's all the production it's gonna get.

While it is not too early to be thinking about WHERE to build the MA, it is rediculously early to be thinking about actually building it. The MA is of no value until it's requisite pre-builds are made. Identify the location and then start the pre-builds. Since many of the pre-builds are not yet tech enabled, (factory, hospital, etc) you have time yet. But you do need to get cracking on the ones that you can build.

I would say, Build the MA in the city with the greeatist spt (Shields per turn) production rate :).

It's not quite that simple. Yes, you want the Military Academy to be in a large shield producer, but there is granularity due to how the Civ engine does production.

An Army once you can build it requires 400 shields. So a city producing 80 to 99 shields after corruption will take 5 turns. A city producing 100 to 133 shields after corruption will take 4 turns. and so on.

Now do we do the analysis before or after we can build Manufacturing Plants? I believe in your case you will do it before cause that's what will be available when you can produce panzers.

@roadcage - Can I ask what kind of major difficulties we might run into if we build the Academy now? Sure, it might take a good 20-30 turns to get an Army put together, but that's a major accomplishment. That turn amount will drop to under 15 turns eventually, and that's without any additional improvements (city improvements). Terrain improvements are a must. By slipping in a city improvement here and there to help the city grow in population and/or production, we would eventually met your stated goals, except we'd have a lot of Armies in the field already.

can only have 12 armies currently, right now. We also shouldnt limit the city we do build the MA in to just armies. I keep saying it over and over again, id like to continue a build period with most of our cities, due to the war with india we lost all the current buildings iwe had in the cities that were captured. So waiting on building the MA until we are at least done with our war with india and babylon is a good thing since we wont be able to feild an army thru it anyways. plus we can use kuhkuffs production for units instead.

Definately Kuhkaff. Riga could be a canidate had it not had more corruption... Suo or Nagoya would have been nice had the Iroquois not gotten it.

I have no problem building the academy now, but I do not think we should put it in Bremershaven. Right now that city is producing a cavalry unit every five turns and we should not interrupt that stream of units.

I happen to agree with a few people here. We have to look into the future on this one. As noted is acouple of polls we will be warring for awhile. We want to have more armies on the battlefield. Not just one or two. We need to put the Military Acadamy in the best possible future location. I'm guessing near the capital with a very good shield potential.

Top Bottom