Napoleonic Horse Artillery

BAP

Chieftain
I used Steph's multi unit utility to create this unit, but I don't consider it a multi unit. Steph's utility just made it a lot easier to do this. With that said, I had a tough time with combining different palletes. Special thanks to whoever created the horse unit, I edited the Cavalry unit myself to make the rider look more like a generic artillery unit of the era.

You can use it however you want, but I suggest giving it a lesser bombard number than the cannon. Make it twice as mobile since mobility was its biggest advantage. If you have any color problems with it please let me know, but I think I've tested it enough and feel the color issues I had have been solved. The red colors will change with each Civ.

I'm planning on making it a multi unit as well. I'm also planning on adding a single horse towed unit with a crewman alongside to simulate heavier artillery. Hope you enjoy.

Horse Artillery

very nice, just one thing i noticed is that the wheels on the cannon go the wrong direction in the run animation, but i guess thats what you get using the m-unit tool. The solution to that would be taking the cannon run animation, and putting the frames in reverse order.... if you want to

Originally posted by tpasmall
very nice, just one thing i noticed is that the wheels on the cannon go the wrong direction in the run animation, but i guess thats what you get using the m-unit tool. The solution to that would be taking the cannon run animation, and putting the frames in reverse order.... if you want to

I thought about that, but then when I tested it in the game you don't really notice with the terrain backdrop.

Looks pretty cool. :)

VERY nice! :worshp:

Of course, the only trouble now is that I'll be p*ssed off at the other artillery units for not having crews and motive power!

Very nice, I didn't even know I wanted this, but it's going straight into my mod.

BTW. When wheels spin fast enough they often appear to be spinning in the opposite direction, an optical illusion. So this actually works well for a fast moving unit.

Oh, and Illustrious, in PTW the cannon does have a crewman.

Attachments

• cannon.jpg
    cannon.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 3,029
Originally posted by Nemesis Rex
Very nice, I didn't even know I wanted this, but it's going straight into my mod.

BTW. When wheels spin fast enough they often appear to be spinning in the opposite direction, an optical illusion. So this actually works well for a fast moving unit.

The PTW cannon works well if you use it as early artillery. For some stuff I'm working on I want to use that, then add a colonial figure to a cannon for more advanced artillery, then have some Napoleonic pieces like this one. The nice thing about the horse artillery is it makes a good quick hitting artillery piece that can be combined with light infantry and Hussars for quick land grabs or screening actions. I like adding figures to the artillery since I learned how to use SBB, it is a good way to use the cannon during different eras but still give each unit physical distinction.

Originally posted by Illustrious
VERY nice! :worshp:

Of course, the only trouble now is that I'll be p*ssed off at the other artillery units for not having crews and motive power!

Give me a week or two and I'll crew some other pieces for different eras. Maybe darken the cannon unit and add a mid to late 19th Century unit for rifle bore artillery.

Originally posted by Nemesis Rex
BTW. When wheels spin fast enough they often appear to be spinning in the opposite direction, an optical illusion.

Only when the wheels are being viewed on film or TV - it's caused by the spokes being out of synch with the frames of the film. In real life (ie out on the battlefield viewing with the unaided eye) there is no such illusion. But then, since I think of Civ as my own little mini-historical movie, it's no bad thing!

Oh, and Illustrious, in PTW the cannon does have a crewman.
Still not tempted to buy it though.:D

Originally posted by Civanator
No, i've seen the weels look like they spin backwards on cars, and on dirtbikes too.
You must be blinking out of synch with the wheels.;)

Originally posted by Tacit_Exit

You must be blinking out of synch with the wheels.;)

:lol: :lol:

Anyway, this is a Good unit. I think I would add hte Middle aged version of the horse Artillery to my list :).

Originally posted by CivGeneral

:lol: :lol:

Anyway, this is a Good unit. I think I would add hte Middle aged version of the horse Artillery to my list :).

Good, I'm glad you like it. I can't wait to eventually get through with the units I want to make and incorporate them in to my own scenarios. This horse artillery unit will make Cavalry attacks more potent.

My only qualm: there's only one guy operating the cannon. 2-5 crewmen would be realistic. Of course, I realize that it would require a buttload of work to add in stuff like sponging, loading, etc.

Originally posted by nmcul
My only qualm: there's only one guy operating the cannon. 2-5 crewmen would be realistic. Of course, I realize that it would require a buttload of work to add in stuff like sponging, loading, etc.

I thought about that, but figured it would also take up too much space, especially if you wanted to make a munit out of it. Use one unit for a battery, two units together for Divisional artillery.

its an amazing unit but i always have trouble adidng unitsi can never do it im just computer illeaterate. its mainly because i cant update my icons 32. but oh well its ashame becuase this is one of the best units ive ever seen

Top Bottom