New Unit: Gladiator

utahjazz7

Deity
Here is a Gladiator unit. I suggest using it as a spearman flavor unit for the Romans. That might not be totally, historically accurate, but CivIII's just a game. Anyway, enjoy. :D

Download.

Very nice.

As for historical accuracy, Roman Gladiator's costums, weapons and fighting styles were based on traditional foes of early Rome. So this guy should be at least as accurate for bronze age Italy as most of the units that came with the game.

Yep, I agree with Nemesis Rex, that could be great for Italian wars (Samnits seem perfect for the unit IMHO). And of course Spartacus troops could use them too.

well, since gladiators were part of the Roman religion, a person might want to add gladiators as a flavor unit that come with mysticism, mabe around 2/2/1 stat's, and a chep price should make the game a lill more interesting....

Originally posted by Xen
well, since gladiators were part of the Roman religion, a person might want to add gladiators as a flavor unit that come with mysticism, mabe around 2/2/1 stat's, and a chep price should make the game a lill more interesting....

To be ven more precise, a pair of gladiator would fight during the funeral of important people so then it should come with Ceremonial Burial :p

Yup, I think he looks like an Etruscan. Very nice.

I know that you don't like replys to your units along the lines of "Nice, so what are you doing next?" but...
I've got a request for a WWII submachine gun trooper that no one else seems to want to take up, Its almost the last needed infantry unit for a good scenario, with lots of new units. Ive created a request thread in the Creation & Customization forum.

:goodjob:

I hear a lot of people say that they don't know how they could use certain units in thier game.
I think these type of units are great for people who prefer to make thier own regional scenerios.

Personally I think playing the standard game is pretty boring, and its these type of off the wall or specific units that make scenerios more interesting and fun to play.

Nice unit! :)

Nope, that would imply that ladiators were around alot longer tha they, were- besides then you would have a real reason to research mysticism..... :)

This is a great unit! After some thought I think I'll use it as a Carthagenian flavor unit, probably to replace the swordsman. I think I'll call it an Italian Mercenary.
It just amazes me that you can crank out quality units so fast! What next? ;)

Yet another lovely unit utahjazz7. :goodjob:

Originally posted by alpha wolf 64
weren't gladiators mostly captured soldiers? If so, it would make sense to use this as the basic barbarian.

Well, once they were captured, sold in the local slave market, and then trained, the Romans dressed them up to fit their ritualised ideas of traditional enemies.

Still....he would make a good Samnite barbarian. :)

Sorry for bumping the thread. But this particular gladiator looks like an Etruscan Warrior (the helmet and the spear). So there’s an alternative use for him. ;)

Originally posted by Cimbri
Sorry for bumping the thread. But this particular gladiator looks like an Etruscan Warrior (the helmet and the spear). So there’s an alternative use for him. ;)

Yep, I'll use him as a Roman replacement for spearman

Originally posted by Kryten
Yet another lovely unit utahjazz7. :goodjob:

Well, once they were captured, sold in the local slave market, and then trained, the Romans dressed them up to fit their ritualised ideas of traditional enemies.

Still....he would make a good Samnite barbarian. :)

I think he looks more like a Hoplomachus my self....

Hope I am not offending you utahjazz7 but I altered the Run and Attack speeds of your Gladiator and applied Run, Attack and Victory sounds. Also adjusted the Large and Small.pcx Files. Just seemed a little slow and "floating" in the game. Nice unit and I just wanted to offer this adjustment for anyone who wants it. All Credit goes to utahjazz7, I just added some sounds and Changed the flc speeds for Run and Attack and adjusted the .ini file.
For simplicity I am uploading the total Unit...Size 407 KB.
You can download it here: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Altered_Gladiator_.zip

Thanks for the Unit utahjazz7

Top Bottom