RBP10 - The Spanish Explorers - Team B

Griselda

Realms Beyond
RBP10 - The Spanish Explorers (we're "exploring" Deity only to find out that there's plenty of people who've been living there for quite some time!)

Civilization: Spain
Difficulty: Deity
Standard Map
Continents, 30% land
Random Opponents
Roaming Barbs
Victory: Just win, baby!

Version: PTW 1.21f (if you *can't* play in 1.21f, speak up now!)

Roster:
Team B
Hotrod
BobTheTerrible
Bam-Bam
CoffeeCup

Both teams are currently full, although we might be able to start a team C as well *if* there's enough interest (or some Deity vets want to show us how it's done, hehe).

Teams A and B will not look at any spoiler information from the others' game until their game has ended! Hopefully we can keep things rolling along with 4 players and be able to discuss things at the end. :beer:

No exploits as defined here- http://www.realmsbeyond.net/civ/etactics.html

24/48 is a good rule of thumb (you have 24 hours after it becomes your turn to post a "got it" message, and 48 hours after you post "got it" to play and post your turns). Of course, as a small group, the most important thing is to maintian good communication! The rules may need to be bent in certain situations.

The first two players from each team will play 20 turns, then everyone will play ten turns from then on (unless the late game demands 5 turns per round).

Does this sound all right with everybody?

Team B members please "check in" here.

The first start I generated looked pretty interesting, and actually pretty unique:

That's fresh water to our west, and salt water to our east, and the site doesn't look too bad for shields in the long run, either, for a coastal start.

Are we ready? I'm looking forward to a fun game! :wavey:

RBP10 - The Spanish Explorers - Start

-Griselda

edit- added start file

:confused:

Where did this get organized?
I never even saw a post collecting people.

Looks like it got organized at RBCiv, where else? :)

Checking out the thread at RBCiv, it looks like the possibility is there for a 3rd team if CivFanats ppl are interested, though the game series is aimed at new players to Deity. I don't believe you qualify for that monicker anymore, Lee. :)

LK, the idea started as I was wondering if there were any more new-to-Deity players who were interested in trying a Deity SG. My intention was not to exclude anybody, but I wanted to encourage Realms Beyond players to participate, especially folks who are part of the community there but maybe hadn't played many succession games.

I had been hoping to post the start threads here last night, when there were 3 players and one open spot on each team, but my cable modem was out all night. When I was able to get on this morning, there were enough players signed up over there to fill both teams. I'd like to limit each team to 4, because I'm hoping that the games will be less likely to stagnate with a smaller team.

Your experience would be invaluable if there's interest in a third team and you'd like to participate, of course. :)

Right now, I'm checking both threads, but after they start over here, I won't be reading replies in this thread until Team A's game is complete.

-Griselda

Originally posted by Zed-F
Looks like it got organized at RBCiv, where else? :)

Checking out the thread at RBCiv, it looks like the possibility is there for a 3rd team if CivFanats ppl are interested, though the game series is aimed at new players to Deity. I don't believe you qualify for that monicker anymore, Lee. :)

Actually, believe it or not, I still haven't gotten around to a solo deity win. :crazyeye:

Of course, GOTM should be up for the next deity game soon. Hopefully, it wont' stick me with one civ (Persia with iron) on the same landmass this time.

I'm interested in playing in a third team if there are enough people. I've only beat Deity once so I'd be interested if others are. :)

Good luck on your turns Hotrod

@ Lee--WOW, you never won a solo on deity? That's very shocking.

RBP10

4000 BC (0): Looking at the start I found Madrid on the start and move the worker south. The lake to the West is fresh and we can irrigate the cow immediately. Start a warrior and research on pottery at 90%.

3950 BC (1): irrigating the cow.

3900 BC (2): zzzz

3850 BC (3): zzzz

3800 BC (4): Build warrior start another. Sending warrior out exploring to the SW.

3750 BC (5): Roading the cow continue moving warrior Sw to see about our first city to grab the spices.

3700 BC (6): More coastline to the West.

3650 BC (7): zzzzz

3600 BC (8): Build a warrior to go out the East. Start another. up lux to 20%. Move the worker at this point to the game for chopping, this may be :smoke: this early but will use the shields for a granary 10 turns from now.

3550 BC (9): Begin a chop on the game tile. Warrior bust some fog and expose some nice desert and more spices.

3500 BC (10): Madrid builds a warrior and starts another they will stick around for MP duty. Drop lux back to 0%. MM to work the water for a turn. This shaves 4 turns off the research but I am not sure if it is worth losing 2 turns for growth :hmmm:.

3450 BC (11): Change to a barracks as a prebuid for the granary, due in 13 turns.

3400 BC (12): Pottery is due in 7 turns. More exploring.

3350 BC (13): More of the same.

3300 BC (14): Warrior expose a hut and more spice and this looks to be our own island.

3250 BC (15): Pop the hut and we get Warrior Code.

3200 BC (16): See more land easily accessable to the East and more spice forest to the SW.

3150 BC (17): Up lux to 10% to avoid rioting research to 60% for +1 gold and pottery still in 2.

3100 BC (18): Research to 50% +2 gold and pottery next turn.

3050 BC (19): Learn Pottery immediately swap to granary. And start 40 turns on writing. at 20%. MM Madrid to grow in 5, granary in 4.

3000 BC (20): zzzzz

Once the granary is built we can build settlers. Worker is almost through with irrigation of the game tile.

Here is the save:

http://civfanatics.net/uploads4/RBP10B_3000BC.zip

Is it too late to register interest for a third team?

This thread wasn't here when I was on last night.
I whip Emperor but only just started Deity. I have a couple of games that are likely wins and one in the bag, I'm just trying to get the Fat Lady away from the buffet at the moment.

Looking good. Nice setup, Hotrod. I like irrigating the game--no :smoke: there.

I have attached my cut at a dotmap. The pink dots in the south, and the orange dot are fishing villages. I would say that the priority should be red (grassland cow--on freshwater), yellow (spices), then blue, West pink and green in no particular order. Those northern cities may need to be revised based on further fog busting.

Good luck to BobtheTerrible on your turns.

- Bam-Bam

Looks pretty good Bam-Bam! The only thing is to try and get the spices online ASAP. I would consider moving the Western pink dot 1 tile NW. This would reduce the overlap a bit and put the spice in the city radius.

Hotrod
BobTheTerrible <---- playing now (needs to confirm)
Bam-Bam (on deck)
CoffeeCup

We are off and running. Madrid should be able to maintain a pretty good settler flow. At some point a temple may be in order to help our economy. The start is pretty rich with food and shields and after the granary completes we should be able to flood the island with settlers. This is shaping up to look like HOT4. My ideas for research are straight to Map Making and a possible shot at early contacts.

Hotrod--the yellow dot will pull the spices (cheap temple expansion at the new city, or 2nd expansion from Madrid--we should watch this closely to see which comes first for temple timing.) I mentioned this in my post.

I actually had the original spot for the west pink dot on the forest to minimize overlap, but I hate to waste a chop. Founding on the forest is a viable option.

This post is just an fyi about my play, I am hesitant to propose this early in the game. So here goes.......

I am not use to playing with this much overlap. My inclination would be to move the pink dot per hotrod's suggestions. Move the next closest pink dot onto the forested spices. Eliminate the grey dot. Eliminate the pink dot south of the red dot. Move the purple dot in the southeast 1 tile northwest.

I am assuming the red dot as home to the FP. I am also assuming a need for larger population cities during late game play. This is a fairly large assumption, but I am guessing an island continents style map.

Good comments Coffeecup. I agree that I generally do not like to have a whole lot of overlap--and that we will want to have decent post-hospital cities.

However, here is some more of the reasoning behind my proposed city locations, and some of what I see as potential problems with your suggestions.

Moving the western two pinks dots as suggested will waste two of the three hills in the center of our map. With all the plains, this may not be hypercritical, but we will need the shield production of those hills. On the other hand, the dot placement does provide extra overlap with Madrid, so founding on the forest to the west would not bother me. The yellow dot gets the spices, and unless there is more land there, it will essentially be a suped-up fishing village (by fishing village I mean working mainly coastal/sea tiles). The same goes for the green dot, and to a lesser extent, the light blue dot. Orange dot to each is only a fishing village. Grey dot is located to be prime spot, the pink dot below it is a fishing/whaling village--has to be there to get the whales. Pink dot SE of red dot--fishing village. Pink dot on warrior is suped-up fishing village with some land and a whale.

IMO Capital, red, west pink, and grey are our prime city sites, the others are half cities or fishing villages pending discovery of more land. Red dot could be one tile NE, but I wanted to get the two food out of the desert tile.

So--to summarize, your changes I think lessen the number of full scale cities (the two western pink dots are mostly coastal, the grey dot--which is arguably the best non-bonus laden spot--only 6 tiles from Madrid would disappear).

That's my $0.02, anyway.

Also, the more we discuss this, the better our chances, even if we do not entirely agree--we will know each of our hard points and on-the-fence points.

Thanks for stepping in for discussion Coffee. There are draw backs to a tighter build same goes for a wider build. I think somewhere in the middle is best. Bam-Bam gives a good starting point and untilmately it is up to the player to decide where to place our cities. ICS is not what we are going for here. We want a productive core capable of size 12 cities. Large cities that are capable of building units in 2-3 turns or less during the later stages I think and that can be done with some overlap.

I think the goal should be to fill our continent quickly and use the entire land mass efficiently.

@ Bam-Bam, Agreed, after writing my post I reconsidered my first thoughts along the lines that you have just expressed. Your argument for the grey dot makes this proposal clearer. Thks.

@ hotrod, thks for the comments. I did overview it to the ICS side.

Hi guys, just some comments that I also gave to Team A:

Red dot at the lake/cattle location (funny; team A mapped the same site as red dot) is of course a great place to go with the first settler. Get a granary going at that site - whip it if necessary to get it done before the city reaches size 7 - and you'll have two sites capable of producing settlers at a good clip.

Or, importantly, workers. Madrid is at +5 food surplus and can grow every other turn from here to infinity, or at least until the Middle Ages. After another couple settlers, you might want to consider cutting that city over to every-other-turn worker farming (that's BIG in despotism) while red dot produces settlers for the south end of your little sandbar.

And without giving too direct advice, let me just say that often a denser build is required to make the most out of your land.

Good luck, guys; I'll be watching :cool:

All-

BobtheTerrible seems to be MIA--any objections to me taking the next 10 (or is it 20?) if he does not check in by this evening?

Top Bottom