Screenshot of the Day #130: Galley Vision

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
It is probably a well known fact that naval units can see 3 tiles when fortified, although only certain units can see more than 1 tile inland. I parked my galley next to a French island to wait for astronomy, and was surprised when my galley was able to see what was going on in the water on the other side!

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd130.jpg

Thanks to Daniel Mathias for the screenshot.

ROFL!!!
Hehe.... Yet another screwy game mechanic... Probably fixeable with a very small fix [can it be that hard to make an algorithm that finds out wether water is beyond land or not?]

The screenshot is pretty old (submitted last October.. I keep all submitted screenshots that are not yet posted). Who knows, maybe this is already fixed. :)

@thunderfall: you should fo that.... if there are no new good screenshots...try looking for old submitted ones

October? What a backlog!

I can send some in. . .

Cool screenshot. It looks like Civ3 - but by then the 1.29 patch would have been out for at least four months. Maybe it's the Mac version or a foreign version.

You know, I actually just found out galleys could see three when fortified. :) Maybe that's because I never fortified mine before... But, that does look odd.

By golly, it is still in the latest PTW patch!

A really good screenshot of the day as I don't think many people (myself included) were fully aware of this.

I figured this out myself the other day...works with all naval units, apparently. so i parked a ring of ironclads 3 tiles away from my culture borders to see what was going on out in the deep seas

i've been wanting to send several screenshots in but my connection's so damn slow that it times out before the email can be sent...is it ok for me to upload them to my geocities site and email u the links?

Yeah, I found this out a while back, when I stationed some Aegis Cruisers to watch for subs. There was a real nuke-sub problem in that game, and that's when I found out that fortified ships see three squares.

I didn't post it, cuz I thought I'd have to put a :blush: at the end of it.

It's not a bug, it's a darned smart feature simulating real world phenomena:

It's a mirage: the coastal square behind the island is reflected on the sky, which is what the men on the galley see, and as your drungarios is a learned man he knows it's not magic and so he updates the mission map in his cabin accordingly. :)

I thought you couldonly get 3 tile in sea and ocean, not coast!

Maybe the crew had already researched astronomy on their own (not waiting for you) and they invented a telescope? ;)

Top Bottom