Quirnial Province Discussion: Overall Strategy

deshelbr

International Playboy
Hello All,

Mayor D'yer Mak'er came up with the excellent suggestion that the mayors of Quirnial should work together to come up with a strategy for the province, seeing as how right now there is none and we are pretty much just reacting to whatever happens on the national level.

We felt that the strategy could be defined clearly if we classify each city as having a certain single purpose and then let the mayors figure out the best way to achieve that goal. To do this we need to come up with the list of purposes, so far we had thought up these:

Production/High SPT
Military Production
Culture
Worker Farm
Commerce/GPT
Science

Anyone think of other good ones?

Once we have the purposes defined we would assign each city (though not permanently or inflexibly) to one of those purposes.

At this point I was thinking of something like this:

Sycorax, Bootia, Gingerbread City = Science
DePaolo, South Bootia, PDX III = Military
Shaitan, Cold Harbor, Malvern Hill = Worker Farm

I'm looking forward to hearing opinions and thoughts on this from the Quirnial Mayors and Domestic Leader Donovon Zoi. It anyone not related to Quirnial has any thoughts, they are also welcome.

Thank you,
Governor Deshelbr

I fully support this idea. It would make it easier to decide how to arrange the build queue, and give a form of stability for the province :)

The distribution of city duties is a very good idea. However, even being the Deputy, I wouldn't be able to classify them myself, as most of my time has been spent towards the fixation of Cælian's border and the recruitment of mayors. Fortunately, a many mayors have answered my call, I shall soon be able to keep up-to-date in my three duties.

I agree that Cold Harbor should be a worker factory. The build queue right now is: worker, worker, granary. Should I move the granary to #1 or #2? Or do we need those two workers right now?

Governor, I think you have the city classifications done pretty well. Although would it be more accurate to change "Science" to "Infrastructure"? Sycorax is in a good position to build many infrastructure improvements and be able to take advantage of them.

To me "Infrastructure" doesn't accurately describe what is desired, if what was needed was culture or workers I would consider libraries and granaries as part of the desired infrastructure to maximize the cities ability.

To me the science classification would mean that the city should do everything it can to produce as many beakers per turn as possible. Any non-science infrastructure should only be built as part of a plan to eventually reach a higher number of beakers.

Well, a Science classification basically means a library and university with as many tiles being worked with roads and as little corruption as possible. Anyway, Sycorax has been on that path and will continue such.

thank you deshelbr for bringing this discussion up in the forums. obviously the fact that many of our cities lie very close to eachother makes it difficult for mayors to plan ahead and interpret future development such as tile assignments, worker actions and build orders. as mayor of Gingerbread i'm sharing almost all tiles with one or more fellow cities, which brings up the question what I could expect of the city regarding size and production.

to decide weather the city will need a Factory or not I, as the mayors of Sycorax, Bootia and South Boota, need to know what the future role of the city would be like. if the city would have few squares to labour spt would be low and the 200+ shields invested in the Factory wouldn't do much good. a university would then be prefered. however, if I could expect the city to grow, that factory would quickly pay itself. the city would be building university and bank faster than it would if the factory was put last in the que.

if all these cities were to build all available improvments, or if mayors responded to the problem of over-improvement as it arouse we would have average cities. (hmm, a police station would only give this city a minimal gain but the empire needs niether military nor workers, what shall i build?) nothing wrong with that, of course, but if we want to maximize effect cost-effective we should plan ahead.

i thought of a system pretty much like that des described, but with fewer categories. since we can't really affect the rate the domestic puts to science and tax (but we know it's going to emphazise science), and military needs varies from time to time, i didn't include classifications especially emphasizing science, tax and military duties for the cities.

large
-high spt
-low waste

medium
-commerce
-units
-low maintenance

small
- worker farms

I assumed we would need high spt to make SS parts, and that it was a high priority to "peak" spt to make Quirnial able to compete with the core capitoline industries while still maintaining balance. This may look imperialistic, i know, but remember it's just a suggestion. at least consider it before kicking my butt...

@des - yes, that was the plan with that type of layout

i chose the combination:

large
Sycorax and Gingerbread City

medium
Bootia, South Bootia, and Depaolo

over the combination:

large
Sycorax, Bootia, South Bootia

medium
Gingerbread City, Depaolo

because of

1. the difference between the waste levels in the cities.

Sycorax -> Gingerbread City -> South Bootia

that is why i have made the Sycorax space as large as possible at the expense of Gingerbread City, and given Gingerbread City tiles currently worked by South Bootia.

2. the layout gives only 2 cities hospitals, and thus the province only has to pay for 2

3. a combination of Bootia and South Bootia semi-metros wouldn't have given the same concentration of spt as Gingerbread City would.

Sounds good to me.

My apologies for not joining this discussion sooner. :)

I support the city strategies as layed out by D'yer Maker. One thing to remember about the worker farms(my pet project ;) ) is that we really need to irrigate over as many mines as possible in that region, as well as equip each of the four cities with a Granary(if it doesn't have one already).

My goal here is to try to get a true rollover, basically meaning that we can produce a worker in the same amount of of time that we can expect growth from the city. If this means rushing that worker, I am fine with it.

Also, for this to work best, I would like us to keep those cities below size 6. My reason for this would be that cities of Size 6 and under have a food box half the size as those in cities over Size 7. A Granary will cut this by another half. So theoretically, we can get a quicker rollover with less work by keeping these cities smaller.

Let me know what you think of this plan, and please let me know if you have any questions. It's a bit confusing, but will run like clockwork once we get it up to speed. :)

heh. mayors, you all heard the man :)
if you could work out some way of handling this to get the most possible workers out in the least possible time (using the least possible amount of gold), for your city or for the entire set of the four, this would be much helpful.

dahh. i tried to invent a new bamspeedy like way to make a city make workers each turn, but it didn't work :rolleyes:. that would have required an 80g rush each turn.

instead i guess the ideal food surplus number (with granary) for a worker factory is 5. get 5 food, 1 shield, rush. get 5 food, grow, worker built, -1pop. get 5 food, 1 shield, rush...

@DZ - if some city (due to high spt) allows us to produce a (not rush) a worker at the cost of one or two turns, like the one below, should that be preferred?

mine three grass and irrigate one gives 4 food after support and 4 shields after waste. that is one worker / 3 turns.

Originally posted by D'yer Mak'er
if some city (due to high spt) allows us to produce a (not rush) a worker at the cost of one or two turns, like the one below, should that be preferred?
I'd think it would be preferred to do this. That way the treasury can be spent on needed infastructure, not workers.

D'yer Maker & Regent Man,

I understand where you are coming from, but what you are missing is that the four cities(Shaitan, PDX III, Cold Harbor and Malvern Hill) will never produce more than 2-3 pspt, even with a Courthouse. We would have to spend much more gold to rush anything else is these cities, and since corruption affects commerce as well it would be pointless to much anything else here.

Plus, I prefer to build infrastructure in cities that can do so, rather than waste the gold. However, Quirnial's "medium" cities are always near the top of the list when it comes to rush requests due to their hindered production caused by corruption.

So, in a nutshell:

Large: Build things on their own, no build restrictions

Medium: Larger improvements can be rushed, no build restrictions

Small: Small items(preferrably workers) and growth improvements (Granary, Harbor) should be rushed, restricted from building commerce- and production-enhancing improvements.

Please let me know what you think of these guidelines. The good news is that I would only ask that workers be built in the four "small" cities, so that the larger ones can continue to grow.

Top Bottom