game crashes when a player has no cities left

aeldrik

from CIV1 to infinity
Now, this one is quite hard to explain, but here more or less:

If you play a WW2 scenario, it is interesting to have the CIVs remaining around even though the cities have all been occupied, this to represent the exile goverments of WW2. The way to realize this (thx Phoenix) is placing a settler (+ King Unit) on some Island far away and protected.

What I noticed today, Is that the game crashes when signing a peace treaty with a CIV in that state.

Why, well, that's the question....

Here is a save of the game on the turn it happens:
Contact the Irish, offer a peace treaty and sign it. The Irish will then have to sign peace with the other members of the locked alliance, and the game will crash....

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/nocitybug.zip

Since this is a scenario, first install the scenario from the Link in my signature (ww2xxl)

Hmmm, don't know how we can fix this problem; I'll look into it and see if I can find a work around. The cause of the problem will be that the coding consists of a line that translates into "if civ has no cities and has no possible way to create a new city (without intervention by another civ) then civ is dead" but the game isn't recognising this untill you contact them. Therefore the way to fix the problem is to trick the code into thinking that there is some way for the civ to establish a new city even though really there is not. I would reconmend experimenting with boats that could transport the settler and king to another location where they could establish a new city. Obviously you would then have to make it impossible for the settler to actualy get to this new location in a way that the code can cope with.

Idea:

put them on greenland, give greenland one grassland tile in the middle, put a us immobile troop without disband action on top of that tile.
US because they will probably be at peace with the civ in question, immobile speaks for itself, and without the disband action flagged so the AI won't do something stupid like disbanding it. And the program thinks there still is a way to settle.

@ Zeekater: the problem is even though the AI thinks there is a way to settle, the game crashes because the CIV has no cities....
the only solution would be A/ Firaxis fixes the code B/give the CIV a city instead of just a settler,...

PS: have a look at the scenario map so you can see what doesn't work, no need to install it for that, just open it with the editor

Top Bottom