Questions about The BUG Mod

I don't have BUG installed. I've just tried downloading a game from strategy & tips 'Noble Domination' that was running BUG 3.0. I got to the initial loading screen, then had a message that I needed bug installed, the game then crashed. Not such a big deal. However the initial loading screen was still there. I couldn't load any of my saved games. The only way round it was to reboot the computer.

@pigswill - That's quite strange. It should just say you don't have the mod and exit, but I haven't tried it myself. Since you didn't have BUG installed, it's clearly a problem with Civ itself. There's no way to add code to a saved game, so nothing in BUG was the cause.
Unless the game was run with BUG installed as a MOD instead of under customassets. That would generate that sort of message. No idea about the 'hang'.

Unless the game was run with BUG installed as a MOD instead of under customassets.

I assumed this was the case given that pigswill got a message saying BUG was needed. The mod name is stored within the saved game only when BUG is running as a mod.

A small question about the differences between BUG and BAT: are they, basically, only graphics differences? So, to be more clear, when some new stuff comes out for BUG, is it possible to just copy/paste the modified files into BAT and all will work properly? Or only for some files? Or is there some dark magic at work making that simple manipulation unavailable? :p

I'm obviously thinking with this question about the new "daily SVN" feature of BUG, wanting to know if it can be applied to BAT :) (I'm ready to check the files with Winmerge or any other similar soft if necessary if you tell me that some are more dangerous than others)

You can safely copy the nightly SVN snapshots of BUG over BAT. If you replace every file, the only problem is that you won't be able to open the BAT help file from within the game. If you want to keep this ability, backup the file "Assets/Python/BUG/BugHelp.py" and copy it back into that folder each time you update. You can of course always open the help file outside the game.

You can safely copy the nightly SVN snapshots of BUG over BAT. If you replace every file, the only problem is that you won't be able to open the BAT help file from within the game. If you want to keep this ability, backup the file "Assets/Python/BUG/BugHelp.py" and copy it back into that folder each time you update. You can of course always open the help file outside the game.

Well, about the help file... the help file coming with BUG is more recent than the help file included in the last BAT released, but it's BUG help, not BAT (so it doesn't include anything BAT-related). I don't think this is so imporant, but anyway...

The updated help files for BAT can be found here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7176640&postcount=2
they can be used to overwrite the ones coming with last BAT release

You can safely copy the nightly SVN snapshots of BUG over BAT. If you replace every file, the only problem is that you won't be able to open the BAT help file from within the game.

Help file? Oh, there is one? Did not know that :D

Thanks a lot for your informations EmperorFool, I can go back to modding safely :)

Well, about the help file... the help file coming with BUG is more recent than the help file included in the last BAT released, but it's BUG help, not BAT (so it doesn't include anything BAT-related).

But the BUG and BAT help files have different names, so BUG's won't overwrite BAT's. What I'm talking about is a Python module that opens the help file from within the game when you hit ALT + CTRL + F1.

Also, I didn't mention this (assumed you'd know), but you can't simply copy the archive contents over BAT.

• Rename CustomAssets to Assets before copying it and PublicMaps into the "BAT Mod x" folder
  • Move "BUG Mod" into the "My Games/BTS" (soon to be renamed "BUG Mod Settings" to avoid confusion)

But the BUG and BAT help files have different names, so BUG's won't overwrite BAT's. What I'm talking about is a Python module that opens the help file from within the game when you hit ALT + CTRL + F1.

I know. Are you sayng that the help file opened in BAT is not BAT help file but BUG help file? If it is like this, I think it should be changed, if it is BAT, it should open BAT help.

This part was for the user, right? :blush:
Because if it was about the help, I didn't understand its meaning...

Are you sayng that the help file opened in BAT is not BAT help file but BUG help file?

No, both BUG and BAT have a file called BugHelp.py that opens the help file for the respective mod. Thus if you copy BUG over BAT, you'll copy BUG's BugHelp.py which will make it open BUG's help file -- not BAT's.

This part was for the user, right?

Yes, it was all for the user, actually. I thought you were mistaking my original post to be talking about the help file itself whereas I was actually talking about the Python module that opens the help file (which you knew, so you can ignore me entirely). :)

Just installed 3.5.
Well done, boys. :D

I don't see any sort of change notes when I go to the download location. This is the closest thing I get.

SO many new goodies added, we can't even begin to list them here. Enjoy the best release of BUG ever!

There's not even a change notes in the install, how are we supposed to know what's been done? Sorry if I'm sounding peevish but lack of, or poor documentation is one of my pet peeves when it come to mods.

Hi..

I've completely uninstalled/removed all the bat/bug from my harddrive in preparation to install bug 3.5.
First I installed 3.5 in the custom assets folder. Everything works fine exept all my settings are set to default every time I load the game...

So I emptied custom assets and then installed bug as a mod in my documents/bts/mods.
But then I get this:
Spoiler :

Okay, I thought, never mind, just remove everything and get back to Bat 1.0. But that once perfectly working mod now brings me the same error screen as above. :(

I'm lost, obviously. What can be the problem?

Hi..

I've completely uninstalled/removed all the bat/bug from my harddrive in preparation to install bug 3.5.
First I installed 3.5 in the custom assets folder. Everything works fine exept all my settings are set to default every time I load the game...

So I emptied custom assets and then installed bug as a mod in my documents/bts/mods.
But then I get this:
Spoiler :

Okay, I thought, never mind, just remove everything and get back to Bat 1.0. But that once perfectly working mod now brings me the same error screen as above. :(

I'm lost, obviously. What can be the problem?

Did you delete the "Beyond the Sword\BUG Mod" folder? It holds all your BUG settings. Maybe BAT tries to get infos from these files and can't cope with 'em. :dunno:

I don't see any sort of change notes when I go to the download location. This is the closest thing I get.

There's not even a change notes in the install, how are we supposed to know what's been done? Sorry if I'm sounding peevish but lack of, or poor documentation is one of my pet peeves when it come to mods.

Well, we never had a version history... it can be an idea for future release.

But speaking of poor documentation is a bit unfair IMHO, our help lists all included mods with detailed info about them, lists changes we made to them, and has a detailed guide to the option screen.

Personally I think that these things are much more important than a change log, but I can understand that also a change log may be useful to avoid reading the manual in search of new pages or changes... usually the changes are really a lot, so tracking them will probably require a lot of time.

Are you using CivGold or Complete or something other than the normal game? Running Vista or XP? English operating system or some other language? Actually, what are the full paths to your "My Games" and BTS install (where the EXE is) folders?

This problem should be impossible (we always say that, I know :)) given how BUG handles the INIs now. First it looks for them, and if it cannot find them it creates them in the default location. And that default location should be in the list of places it looks for them next time.

Can you reinstall 3.5 to CustomAssets, launch it, open the options screen, switch to the System tab, and post a screenshot (if possible) or listing of the "INI Search Paths" settings?

This is very strange because the "XML file for mod init" is part of BUG 3.5 only. It is not part of BAT 1.0 at all. It sounds like it wasn't completely removed.

To at least get BAT 1.0 working again, you can change the "BAT Mod 1.0.ini" file's NoCustomAssets setting to 1. This will force it to ignore anything outside of its Assets folder (except the game's original files of course).

When you initially installed BUG 3.0 or BAT 1.0, did you have to modify any INI files to get it to work? Add a registry key?

But speaking of poor documentation is a bit unfair IMHO, our help lists all included mods with detailed info about them, lists changes we made to them, and has a detailed guide to the option screen.

Well the thing is that the post notification of 3.5 mentioned that there were so many changes that it couldn't be added to the post here, and that it could be found on the download page. But all I found was that quote I added. You do have a change log for 1 and 3 but 3.5 isn't anywhere to be found. And I agree that you have probably the best documentation of any mod I've seen, but it would be nice to read about the differences between 3 and 3.5 beforehand.

I really like some of the things I'm seeing BTW. The detailed Tech splashes are a very nice touch and makes me wonder why Firaxis didn't do it like that in the first place. I also like having all the graphs on a single page. Though it would be nice if they were a tad bigger. At 1920 X 1200, they can be a bit hard to see for those of us who are visually challenged. :D

PS: Never mind, I just discovered that I can make the graphs go larger by clicking on them. Cool. :goodjob:

PS: Never mind, I just discovered that I can make the graphs go larger by clicking on them. Cool. :goodjob:
Cool - glad you like it. Any suggestions on how we can 'tell' the user that clicking on the background or the graph title will swap between BIG and 7-in-1?

Cool - glad you like it. Any suggestions on how we can 'tell' the user that clicking on the background or the graph title will swap between BIG and 7-in-1?

Why not just have a basic text message somewhere on the screen? There's still plenty of room to add a single line of text. On the bottom would probably be the best place, right below the graphs.

https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=612944&group_id=202755

Here is the change log that was originally posted with the download package on the Sourceforge page. I know it's a bit tricky to find it there, but it was posted with the release. BTW - Did you see the second post in the Download thread? Next time don't ignore it or I'll probably end up ignoring your post instead of just having it moved.:p

Top Bottom