Questions about The BUG Mod

https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=612944&group_id=202755

Here is the change log that was originally posted with the download package on the Sourceforge page.

I didn't know that it could be accessed there, good.
Anyway I like the idea of a real change log, not an automatic one with all the small changes, but an organic one with true changes.
My suggestion is to add a simple ChangeLog.txt file somewhere, and ask code guys to add a line in it when they add a feature, include a mod or change something relevant (here "relevant" means "something that the users should know"). This file can be edited a bit before release and posted in the release message on this forum (and maybe included in help file, why not). And it will be useful for doc guys to rememeber what has to be added to help.

I didn't know that it could be accessed there, good.
Anyway I like the idea of a real change log, not an automatic one with all the small changes, but an organic one with true changes.
My suggestion is to add a simple ChangeLog.txt file somewhere, and ask code guys to add a line in it when they add a feature, include a mod or change something relevant (here "relevant" means "something that the users should know"). This file can be edited a bit before release and posted in the release message on this forum (and maybe included in help file, why not). And it will be useful for doc guys to rememeber what has to be added to help.

Good idea. :D

Loving it,

two questions i have. How can i shut off the flashing Ctr+alt+O text?

Also scoreboard has all kinds of useful information that I like, but is now sooo much bigger taking up lots of the screen. anyway to hide it and bring it up on command? Thought I'd done that before, but couldnt find key combo listed in manual.

Thanks.

How can i shut off the flashing Ctr+alt+O text?

Hit ALT + CTRL + O, select the System tab, and uncheck "Options key reminder".

Also scoreboard has all kinds of useful information that I like, but is now sooo much bigger taking up lots of the screen. anyway to hide it and bring it up on command?

Click on your name in the scoreboard to hide; click again to show. Actually, this just shrinks the scoreboard down to only show your stats. You can also click the rightmost icon above the minimap (white paper with red checkmark IIRC). to hide and show it entirely.

As for an manually-updated changelog, I'm all for it with the warning up front that those never work. :p It always strays out of date and misses additions. That being said, it's better than a massive one or none, so I'll add one to the new extra stuff project when I create that.

Are you using CivGold or Complete or something other than the normal game? Running Vista or XP? English operating system or some other language? Actually, what are the full paths to your "My Games" and BTS install (where the EXE is) folders?
Normal Game. XP. English operating system.
C:\Documents and Settings\Es\Mijn documenten\My Games\Beyond the Sword
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword
Can you reinstall 3.5 to CustomAssets, launch it, open the options screen, switch to the System tab, and post a screenshot (if possible) or listing of the "INI Search Paths" settings?
Spoiler :

It still refuses to remember my settings.
This is very strange because the "XML file for mod init" is part of BUG 3.5 only. It is not part of BAT 1.0 at all. It sounds like it wasn't completely removed.
To at least get BAT 1.0 working again, you can change the "BAT Mod 1.0.ini" file's NoCustomAssets setting to 1. This will force it to ignore anything outside of its Assets folder (except the game's original files of course).
I got BAT 1.0 working again..!(no need to change the NCA setting, it was set to 1 by default.)
Removed the whole thing with the uninstall program and manually removed BUG folder from my docs/my games/BTS.
Then installed BUG 3.5 as a mod and this gives me the same error as shown in my first post. I really don't get it! (BUG mod 3.5.ini NoCustomAssets setting to 1)
When you initially installed BUG 3.0 or BAT 1.0, did you have to modify any INI files to get it to work? Add a registry key?
Nope, nothing.

It still refuses to remember my settings.

Can you enable logging in CivlizationIV.ini and try to change settings? Then post the contents of Logs/PythonErr.log and the last few pages of PythonDbg.log.

I had the same problem as ChinaBlue, removed all Bug 3.0 files before installing the 3.5 ones (from zip file). It would not remember any of my settings.

I checked the 'my games/beyond the sword/BUG Mod' folder for any differences between 3.0 and 3.5. I noticed the old "BUG mod.ini" wasn't contained in version 3.5's folder, so I tried coping the old "BUG mod.ini" I deleted from 3.0 to the new 'my games/beyond the sword/BUG Mod' folder; it now saves all my settings(even the new added options successfully.

Hope this info helps with your problem, ChinaBlue.

Great Mod btw, it's really made civ4 a lot more enjoyable for me, appreciate the work.

svn version != 3.5 ?

just installed the newest SVN version and there is BUG Mod 3.0 (Build 1000) in the options window.

edit: okay, I think, you've just forgotten to change this

Trelm, you solved the problem, thanks a million :goodjob:

I did have a bug ini but only this short one:
Spoiler :
# Skip Main menu
SkipMainMenu = 0

# Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = 0

# Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 0

# No Custom Scenario option in main menu
NoCustomScenario = 0

# No team play allowed
NoTeams = 0

# Always start in the standard era
ForceStandardEra = 0

# Scenario file (Single player)
ForceScenario = 0

# This mod should work multiplayer
SinglePlayerOnly = 0

# Allow public maps to be used with this mod
AllowPublicMaps = 1

# Mod Image file
ImageFile = 0

# Name of Mod
Name = BUG Mod

# Description of Mod
Description = BtS Unaltered Gameplay Mod

It didn't add the rest of the bug mod settings after starting a game.
When replacing it with the larger old ini file, everything new was added and settings saved, like you said.

EmperorFool, also many thanks for your help, much appreciated!

This makes no sense. :confused: BUG no longer uses the old "BUG Mod.ini" that you are both referring to. I removed my old one to see, and BUG still works fine without it.

Are you both absolutely certain you removed all old BUG code? That's the only thing that would make sense, but I'll keep digging. I'm just glad you got it working for now. Would one of you please post the PythonDbg.log now that it's working?

The short one that ChinaBlue posted is the one for when you install BUG as a mod. It isn't used by BUG--it's used by Civ4 to load BUG. So it's unrelated and unfortunate that we chose the same name for the larger INI).

@Cybah - Yes, I forgot to reply to your post. We should have updated that file for the release, but I'll do that shortly. It isn't used anywhere--just displayed to the player.

How can you edit your settings when you don't have Civ loaded?

I split "BUG Mod.ini" into several INI files. You have to launch Civ once and BUG will create them all with default values. Then you can edit them outside Civ.

could you please add some pixels between the following at the scoreboard?

changing the distance from 0 to 10 in the options menu is not really making it better. i don't want the scoreboard all over my screen. :lol:

Funny - I didn't know about the little '8' trick either. I've been using the 'add spaces between each element' option which works but works everywhere :D.

Top Bottom