Naval Units Rework Project

So we need a new term for the really advanced ones. I just spent a bit looking for a good term for this and couldn't find one. I'd used Robotic as the most advanced on that list you posted was the Hi-Tech Robot. But I don't like it.

Flying in the face of all that has gone before (afaik), I suggest "chipanthrop", ie. from silicon chip + anthropos. I am an etymological purist, and make my proposal on that basis.

"Cyber/netic/s" just means a pilot or governor - nothing to do with sentience - let alone humanity - or computing/automation/electronics.

"Synth/etic/s" refers to being manufactured - I'm sure many silicon-based sentients would find that demeaning/offensive...;)

I have of course assumed that computers are still silicon-based. If they have gone in a different direction by that point in the tree, I will be back to the drawing-board (if not the cave wall:lol:)...

At the risk of being dull, if you're actually proposing a technological singularity as one of your discovered techs, why are you even trying to predict what happens after it? That is kind of the point of the singularity, that what comes next is inconceivable to our limited brains.

This would also have the term "Drones". Especially in relationship to flying robots.

There are other robot terms we should define.

Mech - A Large Humanoid Robotic Suit controlled by a Human.

Mechadroid - A Large Humanoid Robot controlled by an AI. Similar in shape and design as a Mech, but without a pilot.

Gundam - Basically Space Mechs.

Autos - An AI driven Wheeled Vehicle such as a Car. Made to transport people or goods.

Photonic - A Hologrpahic AI. (ex. The holographic doctor from Star Trek Voyager)
Mechadroid I'm not sure I like mechadroid much but all others are great. I can live with mechadroid though as at least it's clearly delineating.

Don't forget the Technological Singularity (x112) soon after that ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

At the risk of being dull, if you're actually proposing a technological singularity as one of your discovered techs, why are you even trying to predict what happens after it? That is kind of the point of the singularity, that what comes next is inconceivable to our limited brains.
To some extent I have the same problem here.

The technological singularity is pretty much the event that takes place at the end of the movie 'Her'. It's basically like an ascension event for AI computing. I'd like to place this much much farther down in the tree and make it one of a few alternative tech tree ending techs after which there is nothing more to the tech tree really. I'm not sure what relies on its placement at the moment but I struggle with the same thoughts as Arakhor has on this one. AI exceeding human intelligence is one thing, in terms of ways humans can understand just able to handle much more than any one of us can on our own and by so doing enhancing our own knowledge of a great many things - that's all something we can work with.

However, exceeding human understanding to a point where the fabric of the multi-verse is perceived in an extremely new way and becoming something much more... at that point we're dealing with powers we would now call 'God-like'. While the positioning may be fairly rational, I find it difficult to work with in the ability to include its conception within our game structure.

So if we are to include it as it is now in the position its in, it MUST be something a little less than what it explains itself to be. Otherwise Galactic exploration becomes a moot point entirely as the machines either leave us or elevate us with them into a frame of existence that basically views the multi-verse we understand now to be little more than a holographic game space (which can be reprogrammed at will).

If you don't like "Humanoid" then we can find another term however "Synthoid" seems a bit too primitive to me. I don't have a better name though. :(

EDIT: "Humandroid" maybe?
Humanoid just sounds too much like an upgrade of Android. Not saying to abandon it... just saying to keep it into that category and establish a term that is more generic.

That said, I get what you're saying about Synthoid. And my problem with Humandroid is the same as with Humanoid. I do, however, think Humandroid works better though for that role - Humanoid should be a term that also encompasses other Human-like biological entities.

So I think we're still at the brainstorming board to come up with the term that represents the upgraded concept of a Droid.

Flying in the face of all that has gone before (afaik), I suggest "chipanthrop", ie. from silicon chip + anthropos. I am an etymological purist, and make my proposal on that basis.

"Cyber/netic/s" just means a pilot or governor - nothing to do with sentience - let alone humanity - or computing/automation/electronics.

"Synth/etic/s" refers to being manufactured - I'm sure many silicon-based sentients would find that demeaning/offensive...;)

I have of course assumed that computers are still silicon-based. If they have gone in a different direction by that point in the tree, I will be back to the drawing-board (if not the cave wall:lol:)...
You make good points, unfortunately including your last. Crystal based processing has superseded silicon at this stage. Nano can probably form and deform neurological centers with directional oversight as well.

Sentroid (Sentient Droid)
Intellithrope
Cognoid or Cognizoid(Cognizant Droid)
Cognot
Cogbot
Intellibot
Soulbot
Vitoid

A few more ideas...

You make good points, unfortunately including your last. Crystal based processing has superseded silicon at this stage.

Well 'crystanthrop(e)' or 'gemmanthrop(e)' then...

Oh I was thinking the opposite. Like the Coil Gun would be the Matchlock lvl of tech vs a Handheld Coil Gun would be a Rifle lvl. Thus the Coil Gun could be the first type of hand held railgun.
Ok... that does work for me considering that the Fully Automatic has a bit too wide a reach as it stands now. Also read further and although the distinction between Rail and Coil is minimal, I'm happy to take your interp of it.

Well 'crystanthrop(e)' or 'gemmanthrop(e)' then...

Shouldn't we stay a little mutable in terms of what actually makes up the central processing core since that may change but the degree of advancement being self-aware would not?

Not trying to stomp on your concept here... just hoping we can put the focus on the true awareness factor over the hardware that provides it.

You make good points, unfortunately including your last. Crystal based processing has superseded silicon at this stage. Nano can probably form and deform neurological centers with directional oversight as well.

Sentroid (Sentient Droid)
Intellithrope
Cognoid or Cognizoid(Cognizant Droid)
Cognot
Cogbot
Intellibot
Soulbot
Vitoid

I really like Sentroid. However It gets to the term Sentient. Which have been in debate about before involving speculative evolution. And the consensus is that Sentient means to be self aware and that many animals such as Dolphins and Apes are Sentient. However there is also "Sapient" which the only species we know of are humans. To be Sapient is the ability to to build upon the stuff you know and advance. Sure chimps can teach their young to use sticks to get termites from a mounds. But if we took humans away from Earth and came back in a million years the chimps would still be getting termites from a mounds using sticks. This is seen in our own evolution where for millions of years the ancestors of humans made the same stone tools over and over and did not advance until we got to modern humans.

"Sapioid" might be a more accurate name for a Sapient Robot.

I'd be good with Sapioid. It just sounds a little blunt is all.. Possibly Sapienoid? Including the en smooths out the word and makes it less likely to be taken as a droid made of tree sap.

I quite like Sapienoid. What does everyone else think?

So... on a side note to this discussion, may I rename the Droids tech to Automated Robotics? We might want to change DNA Computing to Droids perhaps. Though I do like the DNA Computing concept - at least it could be included in the pedia listing explanation.

EDIT: On further thought Sapiod and Sapienoid both sound 'not so ominous' but if we added the t we could have Sapientoid and if we added the tr we would have Sapientroid. Rapid moniker evolution would then mean Humans would quickly call them Troids for short. So perhaps Troid would be the best term.

Just brainstorming here.

How about "SapiAI" (say-pea-eye)?

I quite like "Sapienoid". What does everyone else think?

I like it too! We should rename the Humanoid tech to "Sapienoid" then.

So... on a side note to this discussion, may I rename the Droids tech to Automated Robotics?

Yes I think that would best. :goodjob:

We might want to change DNA Computing to Droids perhaps. Though I do like the DNA Computing concept - at least it could be included in the pedia listing explanation.

We don't even have to have a "Droid" tech.

EDIT: On further thought Sapiod and Sapienoid both sound 'not so ominous' but if we added the t we could have Sapientoid and if we added the tr we would have Sapientroid. Rapid moniker evolution would then mean Humans would quickly call them Troids for short. So perhaps Troid would be the best term.

"Troid" is catchy but I guess that could work. I guess the Humanoid tech should be renamed "Sapientoids" then.

And I guess we can go like this ...

Walker Bot (renamed Walker Droid) -> Droid Infantry -> Android Infantry -> Troid Infantry

And of units that need to be renamed due to coming in Early Transhuman Era...

- Walker Droid named to Walker Bot
- Scout Droid named to Scout Bot

Now we also have Assault Droid and Siege Droid which come in later Transhuman Era. But I think those are appropriate in their destination as a "droid".

Also there is Droid Tank and Droid Helicopter, but these too I think are in the correct Sub-Era.

- Walker Droid = Machine Learning (x91)
- Scout Droid = Disaster Robots (x95)
----- Any robot unit before this should be renamed to "Bot". -----
- Droid Infantry = Droids (x100)
- Assault Droid = Advanced Computers (x103)
- Siege Droid = Superstrong Alloys (x104)
- Droid Tank = Androids (x105)
- Droid Helicopter = Androids (x105)
- Android Infantry = Androids (x105)

On a side note I think the Hi-Tech Robot needs a better name.

And there are a bunch of robot models I want to add in.

Robots by clanky4

Droids By clanky4

Mass Effect: Atlas battlemech by Zerver

Astromech by Pibomb

I like it too! We should rename the Humanoid tech to "Sapienoid" then.
If you like Troid as a term and want to make them end up being called that when referring to the units, then Sapientroid would be the name that would derive from. Naming the tech Sapientroids would help players intuit where the Troid name is generated.

However, Binary Subconscious is the Sapientroid point of reference - Antroids would be at Humanoid.

I'd suggest we rename Binary Subconscious to Sapientroid and use the explanation of what Binary Subconsciousness IS in the pedia entry for Sapientroid to define why the tech is named as such.

More on some of this below...

We don't even have to have a "Droid" tech.
I think we'd find it very good to use as a point from which the name stems so as to be able to properly place the unit terminology at or past this point.

Keep in mind last page I said:
I said:
I suggest that x102 (DNA Computing and Personal Robots) is where we start calling them Droids.
This is because at DNA Computing is where AI is now nearly as complex as life itself as it is beginning to model it's processing directly after the coding for life itself.

It also is very helpful for the naval staging taking place here and we can work the land unit staging around these checkpoints easier once established.

"Troid" is catchy but I guess that could work. I guess the Humanoid tech should be renamed "Sapientoids" then.
Do you mean catchy in a bad way at all? I just want to make sure we'll be happy with the choice.

One thing 'Troids' has going for it is that it's very easy to adapt the term Android to the term Antroid to represent the Human Replica form of these AI stages.

Arakhor said:
How about "SapiAI" (say-pea-eye)?
There's reference to artificiality in this and I think Yudishtira's point that they'd want to veer away from that is valid. It's also a little tough on the eyes to tongue translation (which is noted already in the fact that you felt you should let us know how it would be pronounced - players won't have such a guide to go off of.)

That said, don't let my comments demotivate. I'm very happy to have all suggestions! And feel free to offer criticism of any other suggestions made here if you can identify what it is you don't like about it.

And I guess we can go like this ...

Walker Bot (renamed Walker Droid) -> Droid Infantry -> Android Infantry -> Troid (or Antroid) Infantry
The Droid Infantry would be too early to be a Droid. 'Robotic Infantry' would indicate that it has no direct processing oversight (which would be an Automated Infantry) and it's not remotely piloted (Unmanned Infantry) but is not quite complex enough to warrant the term Droid. (There probably would be an upcoming infantry unit that would be piloted by a soldier remotely.) Android would be a parallel term to Droid meaning a Droid with a Human-like form. Thus not even having a Droid Infantry would make sense as the models for those always follow a human form.

Additionally isn't a Walker a scout unit not an Infantry line? If its not it's probably in severe need of re-evaluating combat classes now. So at this stage of AI Infantry then, the naming would be (according to the going monikers):
Walker Bot (if it's entirely unmonitored and operates on very basic reactive programming), or:
Unmanned (or if you prefer 'Remote') Infantry (if it's controlled by a soldier in a remote location) or:
Automated Infantry (If it's processing is merely monitored from a remote location with the potential for human override - this is probably a good 'next stage' though.)

The AI Infantry would be an upgrade path splitting off from the Human Infantry line and would become a distinctly separate line that would not thereafter inter-upgrade between AI and Human types. They'd probably be best to alternate the upgrade pattern so that from that point human upgrades, then AI, then human, then AI, just like these naval ships will go. Possibly both could upgrade (at option) to a Cybernetic Infantry type that forms a third line.

- Walker Droid named to Walker Bot
- Scout Droid named to Scout Bot
Depends. If you want them to be very simplistic in their programming then they'd be Bots. If you want them to be extremely evaluating in how they act, such as our own game's AI, then you'd want to call it a Robot. Bots would use something like an Ant level and style intelligence. Very reactive to the environment. That might be the right outlook for a Scout though... Ants have very effective scout mechanisms so it may be quite appropriate to call it a Scout Bot.

Then there's also the degree of human interaction with the machine that can play a role in the naming as mentioned above. I can see the scout being connected to base camp computing but while it's sensory feedback would be paid close attention to, it's actual decision making process would be more based on an artificial learning system so relatively unmonitored. Bot would apply ok here then.

Now we also have Assault Droid and Siege Droid which come in later Transhuman Era. But I think those are appropriate in their destination as a "droid".

Also there is Droid Tank and Droid Helicopter, but these too I think are in the correct Sub-Era.

- Walker Droid = Machine Learning (x91)
- Scout Droid = Disaster Robots (x95)
----- Any robot unit before this should be renamed to "Bot". -----
- Droid Infantry = Droids (x100)
- Assault Droid = Advanced Computers (x103)
- Siege Droid = Superstrong Alloys (x104)
- Droid Tank = Androids (x105)
- Droid Helicopter = Androids (x105)
- Android Infantry = Androids (x105)
[/quote]
Ok, so the line for the Droid moniker should be x102. This means that if we're keeping the Walker Droid in that line then it'd be something like this would be my best recommendation:

Remote Walker Infantry(was Walker Droid)->Automated Infantry(Was Droid Infantry)->Android Infantry(Retains original name).

Yes, Droid Tank and Droid Helicopter would be correct there. Assault Droid would be an Assault Android if it were human sized and shaped but from what I can tell it's intended to be much larger and more a Mechadroid thus 'Assault Mechadroid' would be its proper moniker.

Thinking through it here, Androids would really need to represent those direct synthetic human-like robots that are very difficult to differentiate from actual humans. At least as far as the tech goes - It seems by the descriptions that this is where Artificial Skin and so on really come into play. We have the Mechadroid term for the larger ones so this would work well to keep naming to these corals. Arnold's Original Terminator would've been an Android or an Antroid depending on just how 'real' we want to envision his intelligence to be - I'm thinking Antroid level was what was intended. That story stream kinda skipped the Android level as true self aware intelligence came quite early due to the time manipulations taking place.

The current Humanoids Tech would represent the upgrade of the Android to the Sapientroid level of AI and should probably be renamed to Humantroids or Antroids to better reflect this and separate the term from Human-Like biological organisms. As stated earlier, I like the ability for Android to morph at this stage to Antroid so that's got my vote.

On a side note I think the Hi-Tech Robot needs a better name.
I suggest Mechatroid.

There's no real variance between various Mecha at this point aside from what would be Human and AI so there would be no need to define it as an Assault Mechatroid or any other TYPE of Mechatroid but it's clearly intended to be a very large Mecha under AI guidance and at this phase the AI is Troid so... straight up Mechatroid should encompass it.

And there are a bunch of robot models I want to add in.
All of which are absolutely awesome and should be held in the art bank for use when we go to fill in the land unit chains.

@TB

Disclaimer:I have not read the post you just posted and will post a response to that after this.

Ok I was looking though the Galactic Thread and found this. You may want to consider this stuff in your combat mod and how we design techs for the Galactic Era. Its all MrAzure stuff.

Spoiler :
New Weapons Types (60% done)
Weapon Guide Here:
http://okim.nickersonm.com/sots/manual.html

different Armor and Hull sizes protect against different weapons. Rock paper scissor style. Like copper---->bronze, this weapons "promote"There are more types to be added.

Space Warfare will be "rock,papaer,scissor" Strategic.

"Think of Pokemon..water beats fire, but fire beats grass, grass beats water

Based on:
*Weapon class
*Hull Size
*Armor class
*Strength

Blaster Category
Good Against: Ships with Light hulls (Fighters, Colony ships and Bombers), Scout Hulls, Land Forces, Miniature hulls

Bad Against Ships with Heavy, Cargo, Construction, Battleship, Destroyer, CoCarrier, Station, Guardian, Command. Fortress, mothership, Gargantuan, Capital, Titan, Demolition, Infiltrator and Predator Hulls
Normal: corvette
No Effect Against: Crystalline Class Armor, Nanite Class Armor

Low powered blasters (Nano)---->
Chaingun Blasters (Mid Solar) -->
Fusion Blasters (early InterStellar)-->
Antimater blasters (late InterStellar)-->
Neutron Blasters (Mid Galactic)

Digital
Interceptor Missiles
Burst Cannon
Mass Drivers
Plasmathrower
plasma, fusion torpedoes

Cyber
Intelligent Mines (explosive bugbots , bio bugbots , fusion bugbots)
Binary Sin (genengineered biological warfare)
Plasma Burst cannon
Multi Warhead Missles (fusion , electromagnetic)
Turreted massdrivers (barrage, battlebridge , assault)
Missle Bullets (large missiles (kinetic, cluster)

Nano
large cluster missiles (acid, nanites)
particle cannon
light emitter
Binary D.A.R.K
Photonic Torpedos
Low Powered blasters
Laser Cannons
Light Energy Lance
pulse particle cannon
plasma, fusion, electromagnetic detonating (high explosive) torpedoes

Solar
Spinal mounts
Binary d.A.r.K
leaping mine.
particle accelerator cannon
thunderbolt emitter
Sniper Artillery
Proton Torpedoes
Autofire Blasters
plasma sppitter
Implosion Mines
dumb fire rocket Swarm
Ion Cannon
Mesonic torpedoes
Fusion Beam
assault lasers
energy lance
plasma, fusion, electromagnetic ball torpedoes.

Interstellar
tractor beam
Fusion blasters
disruptor torpedoes
plasma beam
neutronium rounds
Gravity Mine
Graviton Beam
qvuantum torpedo
neutron beam
positron beam
heavy fission beam
siege laser
heavy energy lance
thunderstorm emitter
ion-beam accelerator.
neutron blaster

Galactic
point-defence laser.
pulsed graviton beam.
antimatter blaster
lancer
plasma annihilator
meson projector
anti-matter torpedoes.
pulsar torpedo

Dimension
polaryzed plasmatics.
stellar converter
desintegrator beam
deathray.
inertial cannon.

Spoiler :
Hull Types
*Not all Hull Types are avaliable at start, most are unlocked by new techs

Miniature -(shuttle pods, passenger ships, orbital police crafts)
Light- (Fighters and bombers)
Heavy- (heavy armored fighters, heavy armored bombers, raiders, assault ships)

Cargo -(merchant ships, cargo ships, asteroid miners, ore ships )
Construction (Constructor Ships, Medical Ships, advance parts manufacturing ship)
Tanker (Fuel Ships)
Carrier (Carries large squadron of fighters and bombers)

Corvette ([small battleships]
Battleship ( medium size battle spaceships)
Destroyer (large battleships)

Ark (colony ships)

Station (small planetary defences, broadcast stations, artillerly cannons, space outposts)
Guardian (sunbeams, the largest class of planetary defences)

Fortress (space fortresses)
Gargantuan (small moon size fortresses)
Battlestar (largest type of fortress, planet size, largest hull size)

Capital ( capital ships, fleet command - "Sergeants")
Armada ( very large capital ships - "Captains")
Mothership (extremely large capital ship, central command of the fleet "Generals")

Demolition (mine layers, sabotage ships)
Predator (planet invasion ships)
Plaugewinger (plauge and biowarfare ships)

Scout (mineral explorers, scout ships, only class that can do recon)
Infiltrator ( highest class of scout ships, only class that can spy)

Merlin (ships built for speed, low armor)
Icarus ( faster than Merlin)
Pegasus (Fastest ships in the fleet)

Spoiler :
Weapon Classes [Digital to Dimension]

Not all are avaliable at start, and some obsolete and promote to new classes.

Small Units Only

Bullet Cannon
-Autoaim Cannon (Digital)
-Calibur Mech (Cyber)
-Bulletstorm Zeppelin (Nano)
- Orbital Bulletstorm (Solar)

Blasters

-Chaingun Blasters (Digital)
-Crimson Blasters (Cyber)
-Spectrum Blasters (Nano)
-Wavelength Blasters (Solar)
-Tachyon blasters (Interstellar)
-Zenith Blasters (Galactic)
-Kronos Blasters (Dimension)

Explosive Round

-Explosive Bullets (Digital)
- Missle Bullet(Cyber)
-Warhead Turret (Nano)
-Swarm Turret (Solar)
-Barrage Turret (Interstellar)
-Crossfire Turret (Galactic)
-SpaceTime Turret (Dimension)

Heavy Bomb
-BugBot Bomb (Digital)
-Detonator Android (Cyber)
-Superprecision Bombcraft (Nano)
-Kamikaze Station (Solar)
-Asteroid Bomb (Interstellar)
-Moon Bomb (Galactic)
Black Hole Generator (Dimension)

All Other Units

Lancer
-Graphene Schimitar (Digital)
-Diamondoid Blade (Cyber)
-Fusion cutter (Nano)
-Terahertz Lance (Solar)
-Antimatter Projector (Interstellar)
-Polarizing Flux Blade (Galactic)
-Directed Spatial Manipulator (Dimension)

Ion
- Ion cannon (Nano)
-Pulsed ion cannon (Solar)
-Ion Cannon Accelerator (Interstellar)
-Ion Containment Beam (Galactic)
-Quasar Lightyearbeam (dimension)

Corrosive
-Armor Rotter (Digital)
-Metal Craver (Cyber)
-Life Extinguisher(Nano)
-Element Destabilizator (Solar)
-Matter Deprogrammer (Galactic)
- Banishment Vortex (Dimension)

Emitters
Spark Emitter (Nano)
Lighting Emitter (Solar)
Thundervolt Emitter (Interstellar)
Thunderstorm Emitter (Galactic)
Nebulastorm Emitter (Dimension)

Muon
-Muon Burst (Solar)
-Meson Radius Projector (Interstellar)
-Mumesic Shieldquake (Galactic)
-Neutrino Atomstorm (Dimension)

Lasers
Light Singular Laser -> Small + Standard.
Medium Singular Laser -> Medium + Standard.
Heavy Singular Laser -> Large + Standard, Projector (Triple), Spinal.
Infinity Singular Laser -> Large + Standard, Projector (Triple), Spinal.
Multiplied Singular Laser -> Large + Projector, Fixed.
Hyperfocused Singular Laser -> Large + Projector, Impactor.
-Charged Laser (Nano)
-Concentrated Phasers (Solar)
- Sunbeam Phaser (Interstellar)
-Superluminal Phaser (Galactic)
-Hypernova Phaser (Dimension)

Plasma
-plasma burst cannon (Digital)
-Plasmoid Blast cannon (Cyber)
- Plasmoid Splitter Projector (Solar)
-Superheated Plasma Beam (Interstellar)
-Plasma annihilator (Galactic)
-Polaryzed Plasmaticwave (Dimension)

Fusion
Fusionthrower (Interstellar)
- Mauler device (Galactic)
-stellar Converter (dimension)

Antimatter

Kinetic

Particle

Neutron

Gravity

Ballistics
Light Railgun -> Small + Standard.
Medium Railgun -> Medium + Standard.
Heavy Railgun -> Large + Standard, Projector (Triple), Spinal.
Gatling Railgun -> Medium + Standard, Spinal.
Barrage Railgun -> Large + Projector, Fixed.
Assault Railgun -> Large + Projector, Impactor.

Massdrivers

Missiles

Mines

Torpedo

Electromagnetic

Special

Nanite

Biological

Mecha Missle

Tracker

Shield Bomb

Superweapon

One thing 'Troids' has going for it is that it's very easy to adapt the term Android to the term Antroid to represent the Human Replica form of these AI stages.

Well, you could also try SapiAInt, where you get the double bonus of an engineering pun and it being obvious how to pronounce it, but then that's simply ugly to look at, so you win some, you lose some.

On the other hand, Antroid has the disadvantage of looking like 'ant-roid'. Maybe 'Anthroid' would be a better term, from the Greek word anthropos, meaning 'human'.

@Hydro: I think there may be one weapon form in there that doesn't fall under some category or another that I've defined here (and variations were intended via equipment promos but he made a VERY cool list of inspirations to work with for those! That will definitely be helpful at that stage.) That would be the Fusion weapon (basically throwing a star at your enemy) and I think I may need to add that - but then again there IS a reason I kept Missile weaponry valid all the way through the whole thing - many differing TYPES of missiles can be created.

I've been adding quite a few weapons here in this latest review round so once I get to the later stuff there I'll give those lists further consideration to see if they'd be necessary. Man... he did consider things very deeply and has left us with some true gems to work with.

Well, you could also try SapiAInt, where you get the double bonus of an engineering pun and it being obvious how to pronounce it, but then that's simply ugly to look at, so you win some, you lose some.
Yeah... I'm not finding the obviousness of how to pronounce it coming through and I think I might be missing the pun. Would you say (Sape-ee-ay-nt) or (Say-pee-uh-int) ? There's a few other ways, one pronouncing the A and the I independently as well.

And yeah, not easy to look at.

On the other hand, Antroid has the disadvantage of looking like 'ant-roid'. Maybe 'Anthroid' would be a better term, from the Greek word anthropos, meaning 'human'.
Now that's why I don't like people getting upset by disagreements and shutting up as a result... THAT is genius! I love Anthroid for the later Anthropic Sapientroids. PERFECT!

Any disagreement from anyone here?

Clearly, I'm too arcane for my own good. SapiAInt is supposed to be a pun on "sapient" and AI (Artificial Intelligence), but it does look terribly ugly.

I'm glad you approve of anthroid. :)

I've gotta addendum to the above proposals regarding 'droids'.

I'd like to leave DNA Computing out of it and simply add a droids tech (after the old one is renamed to Automated Robotics) just before Androids (as I noticed Androids, which I'd assumed to come after DNA Computing actually comes 2 column before it.)

So:
Droids: (x104/y13) Prereqs: Advanced Computers, Bionics, Biomimetics. Becomes primary prereq for Androids. I'm sure we'll be able to put a unit or two here. Represents a level of artificial intelligence that begins to think almost as or more complex than a human but is still not self-aware. Also a point of robotics development where standards have been achieved and are being modularly applied to a variety of forms - much like it was for computing when windows really opened things up to greater standardization.

Note: if Artificial Intelligence is given to require this tech it would strongly reduce the number of prereqs listed for it. In fact... it's a little odd that Androids doesn't require Artificial Intelligence. Perhaps this tech should replace artificial intelligence and since Androids would require it, replace all prereqs depending on Artificial Intelligence with Androids.

Checking the tech tree... Cyberimmunology doesn't strike me as something that should require Artificial Intelligence. That prereq would be well served by replacing it with Regenerative Medicine.

Removing the Artificial Intelligence prereq on Electromagnetic Voltage and leaving it with just Environmental Economics (and possibly adding Quantum Computing) would seem to make sense.

Dystopia Pathogens (which currently have Artificial Intelligence as a prereq) relying on Androids can make sense as it may only be developed due to the idea that it would be safer to use such weaponry if deployed by Androids.

Universal Translator currently relies on Artificial Intelligence and it makes a LOT of sense that it would be developed by and to support Androids so a shift to Androids as a prereq would be warranted there.

Battlefield Sports already requires Androids AND AI so just taking AI out would work just fine.

Anti-grav (soon to be levitation) requires Artificial Intelligence but I don't think it should. A switch on this prereq to Quantum Computing would be rational.

Doing a search through the XML will make the process easier... I'm just scouting it out at the moment to see if it could work and I think initial observations show it would not only work but improve the rationale of the tech tree. The buildings and promo at Artificial Intelligence would port over to Droids nicely despite moving forward 1 x layer in the process.

2nd Note: Artificial Intelligence requires no techs from the line preceding it... this move would thus help to gradiate progression there.

This would make anything at this new Droids tech or after fall under the droid terminology usage.

If you like Troid as a term and want to make them end up being called that when referring to the units, then Sapientroid would be the name that would derive from. Naming the tech Sapientroids would help players intuit where the Troid name is generated.

However, Binary Subconscious is the Sapientroid point of reference - Antroids would be at Humanoid.

I'd suggest we rename Binary Subconscious to Sapientroid and use the explanation of what Binary Subconsciousness IS in the pedia entry for Sapientroid to define why the tech is named as such.

But Binarysubconcious is not just for Robots. Its for cyborgs too. Its giving cyborgs a boost to brain power too. So I say we leave it as "Binary Subconscious".

I think we'd find it very good to use as a point from which the name stems so as to be able to properly place the unit terminology at or past this point.

This is because at DNA Computing is where AI is now nearly as complex as life itself as it is beginning to model it's processing directly after the coding for life itself.

It also is very helpful for the naval staging taking place here and we can work the land unit staging around these checkpoints easier once established.

Well I would like to use the Battle Droids model for out Droid Infantry instead of the Terminator (T-600) we have. Perhaps even have 2 stages of Android Infantry using the Terminator models (T-600 and T-800).

Do you mean catchy in a bad way at all? I just want to make sure we'll be happy with the choice.

No i like the term "Troids". I also agree that Antroid would work well too for Humanoid ones.

The Droid Infantry would be too early to be a Droid. 'Robotic Infantry' would indicate that it has no direct processing oversight (which would be an Automated Infantry) and it's not remotely piloted (Unmanned Infantry) but is not quite complex enough to warrant the term Droid. (There probably would be an upcoming infantry unit that would be piloted by a soldier remotely.) Android would be a parallel term to Droid meaning a Droid with a Human-like form. Thus not even having a Droid Infantry would make sense as the models for those always follow a human form.

How about we move the Droid Infantry to Warmachines. I know it's not DNA Computing or Personal Robots but we kinda need Droid to come before Android Infantry. So like ...

Walker Bot (Machine Learning [x91]) -> Bot Infantry (Automated Robotics [x100]) -> Droid Infantry (Warmachines [x102]) -> Android Infantry (Androids [105]) -> Antroid Infantry (Antroids [x113])

Cuase if we moved Droid Infantry to Androids and Android Infantry to DNA Computing or Personal Robots it would be confusing. Unless your saying that "Androids" are more "primitive" than Droids. Which it could be ...

Walker Robot (Machine Learning [x91]) -> Automated Infantry (Automated Robotics [x100]) -> Bot Infantry (Warmachines [x102]) -> Android Infantry (Androids [105])-> Droid Infantry (DNA Computing [x106]) -> Antroid Infantry (Antroids [x113])

Graphics
Walker Robot = Same Model
Automated Infantry = B1 - Battle Droid (Star Wars)
Bot Infantry = B2 - Battle Droid (Star Wars)
Android Infantry = T-600 (Terminator)
Droid Infantry = T-800 (Terminator)
Antroid = ?

I will respond more later ...

Cuase if we moved Droid Infantry to Androids and Android Infantry to DNA Computing or Personal Robots it would be confusing. Unless your saying that "Androids" are more "primitive" than Droids. Which it could be ...
No... I'm saying Androids and Droids are the same thing with the one exception that an Android is a human replica droid. So you wouldn't have a Droid Infantry because it takes a human shape. It would go directly to Android. Android should be just a little more complex than human because of the new technologies to assist with replication.

Model-wise I'd suggest making the Battle Droid an Automated Infantry, the T-600 an Android Infantry and the T-800 an Anthroid Infantry (Anthroid based on the conversation with Arakhor - review and see if you prefer Anthroid over Antroid at this point.)

Or we could indeed have some differing TYPES of Android Infantries... we'll probably have some differing types among the human Infantry units as weapon systems improve. The Automated Infantry could well be represented by another one of those robots you wanted to add, one that looks a bit more simple.

If we adopt the Droids tech as proposed in my last addendum post which you made just after I completed then Androids COULD include the concept of AI mastery of bipedalism - this is not an easy task for us today and represents one of the toughest hurdles for us to get past if we want to ever have a truly convincing human replica robotic. Therefore AI infantry that comes before it might be best to have either 4 legs or tracks - I thought I saw a good model of something like this in your list earlier. (Either far left in the first image or second row in the second image.)

Additionally isn't a Walker a scout unit not an Infantry line? If its not it's probably in severe need of re-evaluating combat classes now. So at this stage of AI Infantry then, the naming would be (according to the going monikers):
Walker Bot (if it's entirely unmonitored and operates on very basic reactive programming), or:
Unmanned (or if you prefer 'Remote') Infantry (if it's controlled by a soldier in a remote location) or:
Automated Infantry (If it's processing is merely monitored from a remote location with the potential for human override - this is probably a good 'next stage' though.)

Yes the Walker is a sout unit but its pre-infantry. Meaning its used first for scoutting and then splits off into Infantry Robots and Siege Robots as well as more advanced Scouting Robots.

The AI Infantry would be an upgrade path splitting off from the Human Infantry line and would become a distinctly separate line that would not thereafter inter-upgrade between AI and Human types. They'd probably be best to alternate the upgrade pattern so that from that point human upgrades, then AI, then human, then AI, just like these naval ships will go. Possibly both could upgrade (at option) to a Cybernetic Infantry type that forms a third line.

AI Infantry don't start from Humans. However they do merge into Mechs via Powered Armor Infantry.

Depends. If you want them to be very simplistic in their programming then they'd be Bots. If you want them to be extremely evaluating in how they act, such as our own game's AI, then you'd want to call it a Robot. Bots would use something like an Ant level and style intelligence. Very reactive to the environment. That might be the right outlook for a Scout though... Ants have very effective scout mechanisms so it may be quite appropriate to call it a Scout Bot.

I think the Walker Droid should be renamed "Walker Robot" since its the most primitive Robot. Scout Droid could be "Scout Robot".

Remote Walker Infantry(was Walker Droid)->Automated Infantry(Was Droid Infantry)->Android Infantry(Retains original name).

Like I said I don;'t think it should be infantry yet. Walker Robot would be good enough.

And Automated Infantry I would like to use the B1 Battle Droid from Star Wars. Now that we have graphics for it.

Android Infantry is more tricky. I think it would be better if we had the T-600, the Current Droid Infantry graphic become the new Android Infantry. And the T-800 becomes a brand new unit between Androids and Antroids. It takes your idea of your "Sentroid".

Android -> Sentroid -> Sapientroid

This would allow Sentroids to be self aware like Dolphins or Apes are but not Sapien like Humans. Note that species uplifting would make Dolphins and Apes Sapient.

Note the Sentroid would use the T-800 graphic.

I suggest Mechatroid.

Maybe but the Hi-Tech Robot is like way off in crazy advanced land.

@Hydro: I think there may be one weapon form in there that doesn't fall under some category or another that I've defined here (and variations were intended via equipment promos but he made a VERY cool list of inspirations to work with for those! That will definitely be helpful at that stage.) That would be the Fusion weapon (basically throwing a star at your enemy) and I think I may need to add that - but then again there IS a reason I kept Missile weaponry valid all the way through the whole thing - many differing TYPES of missiles can be created.

I've been adding quite a few weapons here in this latest review round so once I get to the later stuff there I'll give those lists further consideration to see if they'd be necessary. Man... he did consider things very deeply and has left us with some true gems to work with.

Well it wa just by chance I stumbled upon it so I wanted to make sure you saw it.

Now that's why I don't like people getting upset by disagreements and shutting up as a result... THAT is genius! I love Anthroid for the later Anthropic Sapientroids. PERFECT!

Any disagreement from anyone here?

Oh that would work nicely!

Android = Androids (x105)
Sentroid = Binary Subconscious (x109) [Self Aware Robots]
Anthroid = Sapientroids (x113) [Was Humanoids]

Will respond to more later. Phew there is a lot to respond to with deep responses. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom