Suggestions and Requests

Economic choice: Lolbertarianism, +25% commerce per gold resource. Ron Paul becomes available as a Great Merchant and Great Prophet.

Darn right. Don't forget Rand Paul!

Also, your nation is in anarchy for the rest of the game if that happens, because **** government!

Also, the Pope did not excommunicate entire nations of people.

True that. I had to use different word. He placed entire kingdoms under interdict. People could not get married in the church for 5 years in the entire Kingdom of England. And then King John became Papal vassal. Still pretty powerful, don't you think?

Why is the Mesopotamian civilization called Babylon if it's supposed to represent all of Mesopotamia? Why is the Babylonian civilization spawning early, etc.

If you're going to have a civ that represents all of Mesopotamian civilization, just call it Mesopotamia or the Mesopotamian Civilization please.

Alternate: Increase Babylon spawn date to ~1900 BCE.

Historical accuracy OP pls.

... nah.

I see that pigs give more food (+3, total:6) than rice (+1, total:4).

Maybe it should be the other way around. According to home economics (a lesson in our school system), cereals take energy from the sun, while meat needs to eat cereals to take energy. Feeding your population based on cereals is much more efficient than feeding it on meat. Moreover, wide-spread consumption of meat is a modern phenomenon, people used to eat cereals for the most part of history.

So I propose to make the yield of farmed rice +3 and the yield of pig +1 to correspond to the above sentence.

I do have a serious suggestion to make defense more viable without resorting to pumping up city or tile defense values like with the Theodosian Walls.

Defense Patch:

New Promotions:

Suppression: Requires Drill II
Inflict collateral damage while defending.
Reserve: Requires City Garrison III
Successful kills on defense restore Hit Points.
Auxillary: No requirements
Provides a 10% Strength bonus to all units in the tile so long as the unit has not attacked this turn.

New Mechanics:

-Allow City Garrison promotions to proc on Forts as well as cities.
-Forts provide a flat bonus yield of +1 Commerce & +3 Espionage to the tile.
(If Espionage is not possible, then +1 Commerce is fine)

Why is the Mesopotamian civilization called Babylon if it's supposed to represent all of Mesopotamia? Why is the Babylonian civilization spawning early, etc.

If you're going to have a civ that represents all of Mesopotamian civilization, just call it Mesopotamia or the Mesopotamian Civilization please.

Alternate: Increase Babylon spawn date to ~1900 BCE.

Historical accuracy OP pls.

When you play as human Egypt AI Babylon does appear with a mythical Shumerian leader Gilgamesh. Dynamic names also vary from their set-up names for all the civilizations in this mod.

What we really are missing is Eridu, argued to be the oldest city in the world, the city with the first king ever, founded in 5400 BC -- 2400 years before this mod starts. I realize that Shushan, Sur and Jerusalem are both ancient and needed for subsequent developments, but out of respect for the world's first city we could have preplaced Indipendent Eridu on the 3000 BC as the only city on the map, which would later change name to Ur (very close to Eridu) when Hammurabi's Babylon flips it.

Darn right. Don't forget Rand Paul!

Also, your nation is in anarchy for the rest of the game if that happens, because **** government!
No, you're doing it wrong. Every action that triggers anarchy will trigger a Golden Age instead. In fact, anarchy now is a Golden Age.

What we really are missing is Eridu, argued to be the oldest city in the world, the city with the first king ever, founded in 5400 BC -- 2400 years before this mod starts. I realize that Shushan, Sur and Jerusalem are both ancient and needed for subsequent developments, but out of respect for the world's first city we could have preplaced Indipendent Eridu on the 3000 BC as the only city on the map, which would later change name to Ur (very close to Eridu) when Hammurabi's Babylon flips it.
Do we really want another city there?

If I understand right, UB should help to accomplish UHV. Current French UB is great, but really useful only if one going to continue game after victory.
I would suggest UB which replaces forge.
Say, allows to turn 2 citizens in engineers. Or maybe even 3.

I do have a serious suggestion to make defense more viable without resorting to pumping up city or tile defense values like with the Theodosian Walls.
I agree with this goal. I want to touch some combat mechanics in the future anyway, so I will take this into account during the process.

Defense Patch:

New Promotions:

Suppression: Requires Drill II
Inflict collateral damage while defending.
Reserve: Requires City Garrison III
Successful kills on defense restore Hit Points.
Auxillary: No requirements
Provides a 10% Strength bonus to all units in the tile so long as the unit has not attacked this turn.
Reserve sounds really powerful if it restores all HP after a victory. Unfortunately there is no framework that allows stack-wide promotion benefits right now, but it's really worth building one. I think edead's Sengoku mod has a mechanic like this so it's worth looking into.

New Mechanics:

-Allow City Garrison promotions to proc on Forts as well as cities.
-Forts provide a flat bonus yield of +1 Commerce & +3 Espionage to the tile.
(If Espionage is not possible, then +1 Commerce is fine)
First one sounds good. The commerce sub-types are not possible as tile yields unfortunately. Another thing though, I remember mods where certain civics improve yield from forts which might be looking into. Vassalage for instance seems like a natural fit.

I agree with this goal. I want to touch some combat mechanics in the future anyway, so I will take this into account during the process.

Thank you for the consideration.

Reserve sounds really powerful if it restores all HP after a victory. Unfortunately there is no framework that allows stack-wide promotion benefits right now, but it's really worth building one. I think edead's Sengoku mod has a mechanic like this so it's worth looking into.

Actually, isn't it possible to build one off the Medic promotion?
It grants a stack-wide bonus to healing doesn't it?
Yeah, that's why I didn't specify the amount of HP it restored for Reserve.
In my own mind, it ranged between 25-33%. As for stack-wide promo benefits, yes.
It originally comes from HotK, and IIRC, edead expanded on it in Sengoku.

First one sounds good. The commerce sub-types are not possible as tile yields unfortunately. Another thing though, I remember mods where certain civics improve yield from forts which might be looking into. Vassalage for instance seems like a natural fit.

That's a shame about commerce sub-types.
Civ5 allows you to draw commerce sub-type yields from tiles so I thought it would be a nice idea to draw from.
I'd like to add that Standing Army is a good fit for improved Fort yield bonuses as well as Vassalage.

Commerce with Vassalage and production with Standing Army?

Do we really want another city there?
Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG
Well, Rhye had Sur, and it was not too crowded back then. Uruk could be a better name than Eridu, on the second thought. For centuries Uruk was the largest city in the world, it was important enough in Iranian and Hellenic period, and only came into neglect by Muslim times -- who can rename it Basra. The very name Iraq is thought to be developed from Uruk.

3000 BC map is empty, while there were already some cities around that time. India looks especially troublesome in that regard. I know that anti-Harrapan sentiment is strong here :), but why is it so hard to place an Indy Harrapa like Shushan and Jerusalem, and turn area into Marshes, destroying city later on.

Babylon already founds that city about 40% of the time in 3000BC.
If you pre-place it, it may get flipped by the player automatically like with Shushan.
However, for the AI, this might be what it needs to soft-nerf them from teching Feudalism all the time since they can't settle there.
But if they conquer it, it may make things more difficult for human Persia.

Commerce with Vassalage and production with Standing Army?

That sounds good to me.

Babylon already founds that city about 40% of the time in 3000BC.
If you pre-place it, it may get flipped by the player automatically like with Shushan.
However, for the AI, this might be what it needs to soft-nerf them from teching Feudalism all the time since they can't settle there.
But if they conquer it, it may make things more difficult for human Persia.

Human Persia can flip it just like Jerusalem and Shushan. While we at this, Babylon should not be able to flip Shushan, struggle with Elam was a different story than situation in Mesopotamia. Perhaps a little monument in Shushan could help.

While people discussing forts and future combat changes, please address new born civ vacating the capital on turn one issue. Like making Palace Guard promotion with MP 0 given to Archery units of new born civs. These units should be given AI upon founding the city like Workers, and not to be a part of the original starting stack.

Human Persia can flip it just like Jerusalem and Shushan. While we at this, Babylon should not be able to flip Shushan, struggle with Elam was a different story than situation in Mesopotamia. Perhaps a little monument in Shushan could help.

While people discussing forts and future combat changes, please address new born civ vacating the capital on turn one issue. Like making Palace Guard promotion with MP 0 given to Archery units of new born civs. These units should be given AI upon founding the city like Workers, and not to be a part of the original starting stack.

Human Persia does not flip Jerusalem.

Also, I'm all for removing sources of cheese in the game, like squatting indies or spawnrushing new civs when they vacate. Here's the thing. It's give and take, not take and take.
I don't have anything to say about squatting now because the primary recipient of the squat, India, collapses enough and doesn't get in the way of early UHVs as much.
Spawnrushing? I'll be on board when the egregious "Our troops are joining the enemy in their war of liberation" is finally relegated to the gutter.
I had an old thread that tried to address this too. A lot of "cheating" only really happens when players are expected to put up with bad mechanics.
(In that thread, I suggested all newborn civs should instead spawn similarly to Seljuks, gaining a bonus stack outside every city they would have flipped)

you don't need a special unit, you can freeze any unit in place for any length of time via python.

I should add that Rhye included a hidden mechanic in place where if you DoW a new civ and attack the units in their capital, there is something like a 50% of the civ respawning a fresh new unit in the city stack.
Really, it just goes back to the original point of not having bad mechanics to begin with.

3000 BC map is empty, while there were already some cities around that time. India looks especially troublesome in that regard. I know that anti-Harrapan sentiment is strong here :), but why is it so hard to place an Indy Harrapa like Shushan and Jerusalem, and turn area into Marshes, destroying city later on.
I'm against IVC because it's a lot of trouble to spawn cities and then take care of removing them again that is completely unjustified if there is nobody to interact with them.

I've seen people express annoyance at the city Babylonia sometimes founds at Eridu's location, which I can see because all of its useful tiles can also be reached from Babylon.

Top Bottom