Rising Coastlines?

The Last Conformist

Irresistibly Attractive
Casually looking thru' some of the Civ3 files, I found this in the script.txt file:

#GLOBALWARMING_RISING_COASTLINES
Coastlines are rising! Our scientist blame it on Global Warming...

Has anyone seen this message in the game, and if so, what happens? Do coastal tiles simply disappear beneath the waves?

I've reached levels of global warming but never significant enough to cause ocean levels to rise. Perhaps, this is being saved for the expansion and just pre-coded.

Wow! I've never seen it either but I have never had global warming(whenever i would get it everyone else is nuked & dead!)

Does it mean if it happen that you will loose all your coastal city ? it make no sense, i saw some of my tile change to less food productive one, but never saw ocean level rising.

Maybe it's one of those things that firaxis thought about but didn't really include into the game. so it might not be a working file. But i'm going to tryit, just incase.

I've wondered if by using the editor if you could actually have say, grassland change to coasts. It shows it being possible, but not sure if these tiles would actually change (the game might crash?). I think it would be cool. Imagine after some nuke wars, New York, Paris, Moscow, etc become islands!!

Without any rules changes, no tiles will ever change to water. Not even when I was doing the worker dogpile exploit and had 10,000 pollution icons (no mass transit). The sun had been deep red for a very long time.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
Imagine after some nuke wars, New York, Paris, Moscow, etc become islands!!
Screw that, if a coastal city is around when the water rises, I want to see that city go bye bye. ;)

I've never seen this happen myself, and I played a game in a polluted world up into the 4th millinium.

"Casually looking thru' some of the Civ3 files, I found this in the script.txt file:"

Wow you must really be Civ obsessed if you just casually spend time looking through their files :)

I've never seen it either.

Originally posted by Chris_b_89
"Casually looking thru' some of the Civ3 files, I found this in the script.txt file:"

Wow you must really be Civ obsessed if you just casually spend time looking through their files :)

Huh?!? Did you never do something like that?
Not even from the old CIV2 (and even CIV1...) times?

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
Casually looking thru' some of the Civ3 files, I found this in the script.txt file:

Has anyone seen this message in the game, and if so, what happens? Do coastal tiles simply disappear beneath the waves?

That's probably a left over from Alpha Centauri. I've noticed that there's a few files there that came from that game. They probably started out using that as a template for Civ III, and didn't get around to removing some of the text that was no longer being used.

Originally posted by Chris_b_89

That's just standard procedure for anyone who wants to learn how their computer or a program works. There's all kinds of things you can figure out just by looking inside a program folder. Try it sometime, you might actually learn something instead of relying on someone spoonfeeding you with technology.

Originally posted by Willem

That's just standard procedure for anyone who wants to learn how their computer or a program works. There's all kinds of things you can figure out just by looking inside a program folder. Try it sometime, you might actually learn something instead of relying on someone spoonfeeding you with technology.

Seconded...

It's not wasted time!

I believe if you did the editing in the bic file this can happen. But I have yet to see it (eventhough I have mod it in my own game. ;) ). What I did see is Mountains changed to hills. You get the message "Global warming has destroyed mountain!!" :D So technically anything can happen. The only thing can't happen is to change Sea to Ocean or Coastal to Sea as pollution does not happen in water tile. :king:

I heard about that too, I would really like to see it happen, scares those polluters away :)

heh heh it was fun in civ1 where you change all the writing. it was great :D I was also easily amused at that time of my life. I changed the credits, the creation story, and what all the leaders say. I haven't tried doing it in this one tho...and don't think i will. The leaders actually come up and say some pretty wacky things anyway.

Also, I hate the global warming. Cos I always get the effects from other civs pollution.

In CIV1, in my 2nd game (1st I didn't go that further...) I had a nuke war with Aztecs
I was Zulu (Europe, Africa and Asia were mine) and the Aztec had Americas.
In the end of the nuclear war, my pop dropped: 32.000.000 to 4.000.000!!!
I just had 2 cities with 1.000.000+ (in Amazon and in Ganges zone), I lost all my settlers (they required food...) and all my cities pop reduced to 30.000 or 10.000 (2 or 1 pop)

This was because at that time, global warning after a few minor effects, raises water levels and all non river-squares become watered (they change from ~3food/~2shield/~3trade to 1 food...)

THAT prevented polluction... :)

I never had a nuclear war in CIV1 or 2 since then.

Now, in CIV3, I think it worth it: penalties don't make me think twice :D

Originally posted by Willem

spoon-feed me.... i am lazy :p

Top Bottom