Realpolitik CIV - An Interactive AAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
No America? BOO!

The next war will be won by cat-girls.

Nooby questions in the Civ 4 general discussion forum holds the record at ~15000 posts.

LH, could I put in a request for us to play China next time?

Holy bandwith speed, batman, you’re right! We’ll never beat that record. :cry:

Oh well, it’s still my quest to get this thread up to 9501 posts.

POSTS REMAINING: 159

Well, it's where a lot of traffic goes. very little chance of beating it. Ah, well...

So, I say we play next as China!!

Moderator Action: This thread has been reopened so that Lighthearter can add an epilogue, and not for general posting. Abuse of this "opportunity" will not be overlooked.

”Things were different in the time of the Immortals. Much different. Back then you could hope to reason with those who could see beyond the petty few years, perhaps even decades ahead. Back then there were many in power with England and the world’s best interests at heart instead of petty political scheming. Oh, there was still strife, but the Immortals desired as little of it as possible and you, you so-called ‘heirs’ to their legacy, have betrayed all that they stood and fought for.”
~ Lady Catherine, speaking to English troops assembled in St. Petersburg during her highly publicized execution. It didn’t work as planned.

The history of England after the Immortals left is a long one, and not of unbridled success. Immediately after the Departure Lady Catherine managed to escape to Russia with Captain Athers of the Night Eagles. Athers judged that with the Immortals gone he had no qualms about siding with his beloved against the nation he felt had betrayed their ideals. Lord Alex Armitage was placed in command of the hunt for the two, destroying his own relationship with Anna Harrington, Athers’ agent “Remus.”

“Oh God . . . please no . . . don’t leave! No! Please! What have I done?”
~ Alexander Armitage, upon reading a last letter from Anna and before dissolving into tears.

It wasn’t long after that, however, that Alex realized the chase was hopeless. With the Arabian peace negotiations still occurring there was no way he could use the kind of resources that he needed. So he more or less abandoned the chase. Many regard this as a critical error on his part and place him as directly responsible for what happened next.

A year later, after the Arabs had been forced to cede huge swathes of land to England, the majority of the English garrison in Russia was told to relax. Obviously the thread of major uprising had passed. Beyond a few isolated incidents there had been no major attacks upon English troops and bases, and the English took this to mean that they were in complete control.

That was why when Lady Catherine announced her infamous “Succession Writ” and hundreds of thousands of Russian peasants who had taken up arms and been trained by Night Eagles and KRF veterans formed into neatly organized units even as they laid siege to Moscow the English gave ground. Russian rebels pushed the English back almost to the borders of Greek Poland, Alex and General Cornwallis desperately trying to rally their men.

…and hereby I declare, as is my bloodright, that I, Lady Catherine, have inherited the blood of the Tsars from my dearly deceased uncle, and shall do everything in my power as Tsarina to serve and protect the people of Russia, against all comers, all enemies, all so-called ‘friends’ hiding their eyes behind a wall of rifles so we may not gaze into them and see the truth. Mother Russia, I am your loyal daughter, and I will answer the call you have sent out for guardians to protect you. Let all men and women of Russia know my words and let the Bhudda favor our great crusade to liberate our home!
~ Lady Catherine’s “Succession Writ.”

The English were disorganized and understrength. Almost all of their units reported casualties as high as thirty percent in the first month of the Insurrection. Cornwallis was sacked in disgrace and replaced with General Bernard Law Montgomery, formerly of the Roman garrison authority. Montgomery was faced with the most thankless task in the history of England. An army in full retreat, organized and motivated enemies who knew the local terrain far better then he ever could, intelligent and capable enemy commanders – like Georgi Zhukov and Nikolai Chuikov – all bearing down on him like a juggernaut when he had no line of retreat. Of course, that last bit only became evident a few days after he arrived in Russia, when Polish army units “possessed” the Aryan InterEurope Rail Line. London furiously condemned this act, to which Alexander and Ragnar replied that Poland was “merely securing its resources for future use.”

The English response was unprintable. Under normal circumstances a declaration of war would be attached, but with their forces in Russia already outnumbered and struggling, they had no choice but to hope for Alex and Monty to produce a miracle.

English ships ferrying supplies through the Baltic Sea to Russia.

The first major engagement of the Insurrection was the Battle of Tesla’s Junction. The small town had a population of 500, with a river running through it. Its only strategic significance was that it sat dead astride the Line. Russian troops pushed across that river and dug in, preparing for a counteroffensive from English troops. Montgomery moved 6000 men – under Alex’s command – to dislodge them.

The 10000 Russians initiated the battle, engaging in line fire with the British. After they began to realize that the superior British disipline was making up for the difference in numbers, they moved their cavalry elements in to try and hit the Redcoats in the flank. However, Major Alex Armitage and the English cavalry met them head-on, causing the Russians to pull back sullenly from defeat in day one.

Over the night, English troops moved closer to the town proper, sparking several flurries of wildly inaccurate gunfire. However, by dawn the troops were all arrayed just outside range of each other, at the edge of the town. And the English had one advantage that the Russians lacked.

The first shots from the English 3rd Artillery Battalion came soaring in shortly after the sun rose. The round shot from the British cannons ripped gigantic holes in the Russian lines, and dealt a crippling blow to their morale. The advance of the infantry seemed almost perfunctory in the face of the bombardment. Russian forces fought for another few hours, using the buildings of the town as cover to deal blow after blow to the English troops, but eventually withdrew. The English had won the first victory.

However, it wasn’t all rosy. Despite English ships ferrying reinforcement troops in, General Braddock took a third of the English force with him when he was destroyed in the woods south of St. Petersburg. Despite that, it was only a matter of time until England mobilized, and it did.

The Russians had excellent training, and an entire nation made an awesome fortress, but in the end there was little doubt over the outcome. When English troops finally stormed the Kremlin, three years to the day since the Writ circulated, Lady Catherine was captured and the Insurrection came to an abrupt halt. Russia would remain English.

However, when Catherine was to be executed for commanding the rebellion, Athers and the Night Eagles rescued her and the group fled, perhaps to Japan or Korea. They were never heard from in England again.

“I – don’t – understand! WHY? Why did those oafs have to go with a full-scale execution instead of a quiet little thing where we get her out of the way!?! MORONS! The lot of ‘em! They deserved what happened!”
~ Lord Archibald Tyrons, nephew of Lord Whosit, on the execution of Catherine.

After the Insurrection, England was able to strongarm Poland into returning control of the Rail Line, though the Poles were distinctly unhappy. Many feared war, but all was quiet and people relaxed. A new era of development dawned and England became a leader in technology and trade. Many respected – and feared – her.

The infamous Polish air attack on Scapa Flow in 1934 was a catalyst for the most destructive war in history. With British troops fighting in Poland within hours and a massive Viking armored fist driving into Russia, the Carthaginian Empire leaped into the fray with a drive into Italy. England was beset from all sides, and as the fighting moved to France and the Ukraine, she desperately sought a new technology to aid her.

HMS President Whosit alongside the wreckage of the HMS Lord Ravus in Scapa Flow naval base, 1944.

By 1945, however, the Poles had surrendered under Montgomery’s daring armored push. Italy was still a stalemated war zone and the Vikings hadn’t – quite – been driven out of Russia yet. This is when a group of scientists supposedly contracted by Lord Ravus long ago revealed the results of their labor to the English, who promptly placed said fruits on bombers and went after Nidaros and Carthage.

Footage of the nuclear blasts is readily available, and all should know of the sheer devastation that it unleashed. Vikingdom surrendered unconditionally and Carthage soon followed, leaving England the unrivaled master of Europe and North Africa.

English Hurricane fighters on patrol in the closing days of the European War.

In the modern era, England is a powerhouse, armed with nuclear weapons(a feat only rivaled by the Japanese, another argument that this is where Cathy and Athers fled). She uses her massive military to enforce her will across the breadth of the world, commanding a circle of vassals that all fall over each other accepting her decrees.

There is still war, and strife, and the world isn’t what we wish it was – because, war . . . war never changes.
Alex eventually became President of England, leading her through the vicious times of the American Missile Crisis. He would never quite get over Anna’s departure, and would – after his time in public service – retire to a London suburb and spend his time trying to forget about the past.
Anna would stay with Athers, working to undermine England in the Insurrection alongside him. When the Russian cause collapsed, she parted ways with her longtime friend and inspiration and left for the United States, working from there to provide Athers with international allies. She eventually was killed during the English invasion of America in the Missile Crisis.
Athers and Catherine did in fact flee to Japan, and tried to build that nation into an opponent for England. Thanks to Anna in America, they gave it allies, but England was already too strong to oppose. Athers and Cathy would spend much of the rest of their lives trying, but in the end they realized the futility of it and retired together to a small island in the Philippines, forgetting the world.
And there you have it. Realpolitik is concluded – won’t you all join me for the next adventure?

Before I go, WE HAVE A TVTROPES PAGE! Come and provide examples of tropes in this game!

-L

:salute::salute::salute::salute:

Well, it was a good run. I can't wait for the next one.

:hatsoff:
To LH for GM'ing this madness, We enjoyed it, but I expect it was trying at times.

See you on the other (civ5) side Stories and tales Forums Everybody.

Lets leave it here.

DT
Signing Off
:salute:

Epic epilogue! I wasnt expecting that ending. I really wasnt.

Wait who tried to wrest control of the game from you? NO! YOU HAVE TO KEEP BEING GM! DONT LEAVE THAT UPON US! WE WILL FAIL!

Also, two questions to the mod here:

1. Did you actually keep up with this monster, or did someone notify you of the end?
2. How much attention among the mods has this RP caused? For example, the wave of now-failed RPs that popped up, the constant posting in this thread, and the sheer size of it. Did it raise any eyebrows?

I think thats my end of posting.

AAR = After Action Report. Its an acronym borrowed from the paradox forums as that is where this form of AAR (Realpolitik) originated by way of TRP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom