Why do city states have such horrible start locations.

Mr_jones

Chieftain
Almost every city state I have seen would have been a great city if it was 1 or 2 tiles in any other direction. How does the game decided where to put city states?

I agree. They really do have terrible locations. In a game I recently deleted, Marrakech and Sofia both spawned on one-hex tundra islands about 5 hexes away from each other and 10 away from the nearest other landmass.

Probably totally random, no one (let alone two) in their right mind would choose a location like that

I've noticed that a good many of them are coastal, at least on many of the Continent Huge maps. Also, I noticed that they are typically within 4 tiles of a natural wonder too. On the Continent Huge maps its fantastic to find them by simply sending out a ship to hung the coast line.

I typically try to get allied with nearby neighbors for some level of protection and typically I'll also gain Ally with Military City States for Units.

Natural Wonders: A major civ's starting location isn't allowed to be within 4 tiles of a natural wonder.
But a city state just isn't allowed to be adjoining one; and can be two tiles away.

City states one tile away from a good location: City states always found in place; the AI might be willing to shift one tile if they can still found the same turn.

Also major civs starting locations are before all city states.

City states appear to have a coastal bias.

Some of them gets good location some others don't however In my opinion its probably better to keep it that way then to garante them all a good location because that would limit their start locations.

They don't need a good location, better that they get the deserts and one tile islands than me

Natural Wonders: A major civ's starting location isn't allowed to be within 4 tiles of a natural wonder.

Where is this coming from? I frequently play as Spain and I quite often find the CSs "screwing up" natural wonders...and sometimes actually working the wonder.

If I find a good wonder, and as long as it has not been kind of surrounded several CSs such that you can't get near it, I often find I have to rush a settler there to try to grab the wonder before the CS does.

I guess all of this will be buried in a XML file.... I'll have to take a look.

In my current game I was...and this is not all that unusual... the first to find GBR....a nice 1000G as Spain...but it was caught between two CSs and not workable.....

But a city state just isn't allowed to be adjoining one; and can be two tiles away.

City states one tile away from a good location: City states always found in place; the AI might be willing to shift one tile if they can still found the same turn.

Also major civs starting locations are before all city states.

City states appear to have a coastal bias.

let me sums it, they are the last to be placed.

I agree. And most of them have pearls and whales.

But once in a while, a city state would have one of the best resources. Once i saw Singapore having 1 whale, 6 oil and 1 ivory, all 3 of them i needed. Having the largest army in the game, i did what everyone would have done.

Spoiler :

I allied them

Well I guess you mean most people would've done. Other people like khan would've made a Dow to take the cs. Enrico dandolo would purchase or Maria Theresa would marry diplomatically. Maria ii could build a feitoria.

Top Bottom