[Mapscripts] (6-14) Scale Available Types of CS Luxury Resources With # of Mercantile City-States

Status
Not open for further replies.

adan_eslavo

Archmage of all Pixels
Supporter
Current Situation: There are 3 Luxury Resources in the pool available for City-States: Glass, Jewelry and Porcelain. This pool can be increased with the modmods (Unique City-States, Even More Resources).
Problem: All resources are always available to choose from. This means that if you have 3 Mercantile City-States on the map, then each of them can get a different resource. This means that there's only 1 copy of the resource on the map, making gaining a Global Monopoly piece of cake.
Solution: Make the pool dynamic, scaling with the number of City-States. In other words. If there are 1-5 Mercantile City-States on the map, 1 resource is picked from the pool and given to these City-States. If there are 6-10 Mercantile City-States on the map, then 2 of the resources are picked from the pool and each of them has a 50% chance to be given to the City-State. If there are more than 10 Mercantile City-States on the map, then all 3 resources (or 3 of X with modmods) are picked from the pool and divided between these City-States. This will lower the chance that f.e. Glass will be present only in 1 City-State.

Of course you can make the code to spread them out evenly between these City-States. Fine by me. If only it is doable.

Last edited:
I like this proposal ; however I think the prerequisite numbers are too high.

Considering biggest map, 12 Civs / 24 CSs, there are 5 types of CS (Cultural, Religious, Mercantile, Maritime, Military).
In this setting, there a an average of 5 Mercantile CS, so likely 1-2 luxuries.
This is the biggest base map setting.
Of course, you can increase CS count to 40, which make an average 8, so 2 maybe 3 luxuries, but this is extreme setting.
I think 1/4 or even 1/3 would be a better value.

I like this proposal ; however I think the prerequisite numbers are too high.

Considering biggest map, 12 Civs / 24 CSs, there are 5 types of CS (Cultural, Religious, Mercantile, Maritime, Military).
In this setting, there a an average of 5 Mercantile CS, so likely 1-2 luxuries.
This is the biggest base map setting.
Of course, you can increase CS count to 40, which make an average 8, so 2 maybe 3 luxuries, but this is extreme setting.
I think 1/4 or even 1/3 would be a better value.
I know people are playing on such extreme settings that's why I decided for such thresholds. Although if the distribution of resources would be equalized, then I have nothing against making them lower.

I tested such a behaviour in Unique City-States where I added unique luxuries for the rest of the traits (Maritime, Cultured, Militaristic and Religious), but without an equal distribution and in most cases I was getting numbers from 2 up using threshold of 5. Setting it to 4 gave me worse results. Of course I am still getting solo resources but less often. And I was using lua, because it is the only way I could do that.

I think I might evenly divide the number of luxuries. As such, I won't be sponsoring this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom