ChessTempo.com

Narz

keeping it real
No one comes thru these parts anymore so I'm mostly speaking to myself here but chesstempo.com is a good free tactics training site out there. I actually have premium membership which offers some benefits but even without it you get unlimited tactics for free.

If you register you get a rating (actually a few ratings, regular & blitz mode), they also give you two endgame puzzles a day (I'd recommend swtiching settings from theory to practice as theory gets really annoying, if you try it you'll see what I mean, it forces you to find the fastest mate, it is not important IMO finding a move which wins in 13 vs 12 moves).

I have a bet with a friend to see who can complete 5,000 correct puzzles between now & mid-November. I created a puzzle set (a premium member option) for tactics rated between 1700-2111, he only has to solve puzzles rated above 1400 (he's a lower rated player & I agreed to the bet). It's only for $200 & if we both complete the allotted # of puzzles by the date whoever gets there first pays the other only $50.

Still its good motivation & a good way to kill time, at least I'm building towards something.

I have no financial ties to the site, I do like the owner/manager Richard, who often can be seen commenting on puzzles & answering questions. He is quite accessible & open to feedback.

1 down, 4,999 to go! :dance:

First one was fairly straightforward : http://chesstempo.com/chess-tactics/55597

Spoiler :
Hint : block pin, threaten rook & threaten mate all in one move

but was on the low-end of the spectrum (1720 rated as I write this), there will undoubtedly be probs that take me upwards of 20-30 minutes, a few even that I will spend that much time on & still get wrong.

I'll share some of the more interesting ones here in this thread.

You can witness every puzz I do & my daily progress here, if you have nothing better to do that is.

To beat the deadline I need to solve (correctly) 22 or more a day. I'm going to aim for 25 a day & push to 30 if possible so I can miss a day if need be.

Coming off a string of 4 in a row wrong I finally got a couple right.

Funny though, this one felt a lot harder somehow than this one but the rating of the first was much lower.

This one's sick, took me 28 minutes.

Spoiler :
Was calculating the obvious lines & getting nowhere before I indulged in a bit of fantasy (if only the queen could get here) and the answer hit me quickly.

Top Bottom