Odd things my parents said.

onejayhawk

Afflicted with reason
I am forth generation American. My Grandmother was born here in a part of St Louis that spoke German (near Busch Gardens) in those days. She never became fluent, but she imparted to my father a handful of phrases, the kind children here often: sets sich; verstehen Sie das?; siest du?; and especially, comen Sie hier! Did your parents have similar quirks?

J

my moms a greencard holder from scotland, when she gets together with her family, they talk all sorts of weird...my aunt told me when i was younger she was going to give me "a clout of the lug"(she was going to hit my ear or head, i forget)

My dad says Groovy at weird times, but not very often. Does that count? :ack:

Anyway, my ancestors immigrated from an English-speaking country (Ireland) and that was a while back (during the Potato Famine) so there is no language quirks like you.

My great grandfather immigrated to Minnesota from Norway. Otto Sjolyst was the name. I'm like 75% Norweigan but i've never heard any Norweigan quirks.

My father's from quite north and mom's from the very south. So both of them occasionally use odd expressions, especially dad who likes to play with words.

"Uff da"--a Swedish interjection that kind of means either "wow" or "oy vey" depending on the context. Lots of Minnesotans actually say that one, along with Mom, Grandpa, and myself sometimes.

My Dad once described his intense dislike for some guy he worked with by saying "if he was on fire, I wouldn't bother to back up to take a piss on him." I've been saving that one for someone... special.... :satan: Dad has a gift for sarcasm and acid wit that I've often tried to emulate. :D

Originally posted by allan2
"Uff da"--a Swedish interjection that kind of means either "wow" or "oy vey" depending on the context. Lots of Minnesotans actually say that one, along with Mom, Grandpa, and myself sometimes.
"Uff da", don't really know what it would be in Swedish, never heard it before. Maybe you mean "Oj då":hmm:

Um, I look like a lot of people in a Dutch town called Platte. My great-grandfather went around Holland getting people to sign up to establish a Christian farming town in the middle of South Dakota. After about 5 generations, everyone looks at least slightly similar :eek:.

Originally posted by funxus

"Uff da", don't really know what it would be in Swedish, never heard it before. Maybe you mean "Oj då":hmm:

I'll have to ask my Grandma. Maybe it was an older expression, which is still in use regionally here, but not over there anymore?

Actually it could be Norwegian--my two Norwegian great aunts and their kids say it more, come to think of it.... But I thought it was Swedish, my Great Grandmother was Swedish without any Norwegian and she used to say it. Hmmm....

But every Minnesotan I think knows it these days, it's become an American regionalism. Curious.

P.S. I don't know any Swedish, but is that pronounced similarly? What sound does the 'a' with the circle over it (can't do it on my keyboard) make? Is it the "ah" sound? I know 'j' is similar to the English 'y' consonant. But maybe this is sort of a cognate of the Norwegian equivalent, and "uff da" is Norwegian? I'm real curious now, as I'm sure you can tell :D .

My father always quoted poetry, but I didn't know it at the time. For instance, "Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink," by Coleridge. My mother gave us many Southern expressions.

The most important thing she taught us was that we were "peculiar." I didn't know at the time why she told us that, but with age comes wisdom.

My mother was a proud child of the South, but didn't subscribe to the segregationist mentality prevalent there. Indeed, her family befriended the poor and the blacks, and often stood up for equality long before the Civil Rights movement took hold. Because of that, she prepared her own children to be ostracized or worse. We didn't care that we lived on the edge of society, because we were proud that we were different, that is, "peculiar."

Only when she was old and told us the stories of her youth, and of her mother's youth, did we learn why.

I covered my father. My mother was the one with the edges on her tongue. She often said, "Bless your pointy little head.", which sounds like praise to a child. When really provoked, she said things like, "Just because your head comes to a point, doesnt mean you're sharp."

J

my stepfather once told me to go out and get laid. kinda wierd.

As there are no immigrants in my family I can't present any foreign language intrusions into the way they speak.

But my mother uses all kinds of odd substitutes for swear words because of her objection against them, does that count?

My grandparents speak in Yiddish when they don't want to me to know what they are saying.

My parents know a few Yiddish phrases which they frequently say, but I know even less of them.

I'm the most fluent amarican in my family, and my mom tries to be as fluent as posible. so if she makes such a mistake I just correct her. no major "quirks" come to mind. my dad no longer lives with me.

Originally posted by allan2

I'll have to ask my Grandma. Maybe it was an older expression, which is still in use regionally here, but not over there anymore?

Actually it could be Norwegian--my two Norwegian great aunts and their kids say it more, come to think of it.... But I thought it was Swedish, my Great Grandmother was Swedish without any Norwegian and she used to say it. Hmmm....

But every Minnesotan I think knows it these days, it's become an American regionalism. Curious.

P.S. I don't know any Swedish, but is that pronounced similarly? What sound does the 'a' with the circle over it (can't do it on my keyboard) make? Is it the "ah" sound? I know 'j' is similar to the English 'y' consonant. But maybe this is sort of a cognate of the Norwegian equivalent, and "uff da" is Norwegian? I'm real curious now, as I'm sure you can tell :D .

Hmm... I would think that what your grandmother said was "ush då" which translates to something like "oh dear"

Top Bottom