Fourth Yield

This problem is exactly why I quit trying to do anything ambitious with modding (other than working on a little mod for my own enertainment). It was quite discouraging to know that there was this insurmountable limit. It looks like Asaf has solved the unsolvable problem. Bowing down thing.

I mean to use it for metal (basically a clone of production needed for modern stuff, while original hammers is wood, stone, leather, clay and so forth) and power (ie electricity, basically like food for machines). Its disconcerting that sawmills on hills should somehow improve your ability to build jet fighters.

Expect me to come back looking for help.

This problem is exactly why I quit trying to do anything ambitious with modding (other than working on a little mod for my own enertainment). It was quite discouraging to know that there was this insurmountable limit. It looks like Asaf has solved the unsolvable problem. Bowing down thing.

I mean to use it for metal (basically a clone of production needed for modern stuff, while original hammers is wood, stone, leather, clay and so forth) and power (ie electricity, basically like food for machines). Its disconcerting that sawmills on hills should somehow improve your ability to build jet fighters.

This is a very interesting idea. If you could just make it fun to play and not slow down progress too much, it would be excellent.

It seems to me that Fuel / Power would be an excellent use for a fourth commerce type. Power Plants and Oil resources could supply the commerce, and other modern buildings / units could consume it.

Would it be possible to have more than four yields but only have the game be able to display four?

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to make Resources act like yields....

Actually when I think about it you'd need to edit the other art files:
vertical_symbols.dds is now 64x2048, which supports 32 slots. Since you need 5 for each yield (12x5=60) you'll need to resize it again to 64x4096, and make changes to the coordinates in the nif files.
(In addition to adding these to the enum, the XML, font files and of course add the art itself to vertical_symbols.dds).

You'll also need to change the value of s_fSymbolYieldTextureHeight in CvPlot.cpp to 1.0f/64.0f, instead of 32.

As long as you can't have more than 5 (or maybe 6) yields in a single plot, I think that should be enough.

^^I just noticed this (the first time I read the thread I was kinda rushed and using my droid)

Sorry, thanks for a great idea....

So, would you have the Lumbermills be obsoleted to negate their extra production on jets? How would this work? I see you have only the 4th yield supplying production to certain units, buildings and what happens to the water mills and lumber mills?

I agree, those should not boost jet production, but you could also just have a jet factory as a building which gives the production boost.

Have you been working on this at all?

Further to this idea.....could we actually clone the production aspect of the hammers and have similar 'chops' to send 'new hammers' or metal hammers to help rush spaceships parts ans aircraft?

What about units build using, fuel, metal or even gold reserves?

Could you say have the fourth yield as power/electricity like someone said working as food for a robot civ?

Actually when I think about it you'd need to edit the other art files:
vertical_symbols.dds is now 64x2048, which supports 32 slots. Since you need 5 for each yield (12x5=60) you'll need to resize it again to 64x4096, and make changes to the coordinates in the nif files.

Has anyone done this? I am not sure I know where to find any coordinates in the nif files.

Open the three Symbols_X.nif files (in NifSkope).
Go to the last node (12 - NiTriShapeData).
Open UV Sets in the panel below. You have 3 subsets of UV sets.
Go over all UV coordinates. Where ever you see 0.0312, it should be (1 / number of slots in file).

In the files in this mod there are 32 slots, so 1/32=0.03125 (rounded to 0.0312).
If you double the slots, you'll need to replace this number with 1/64=0.015625 which will probably be rounded to 0.0156.

I hope I didn't forget anything. It's been a while...

Asaf, you are truly a modding hero

works flawless and with your instructions I could adjust it to even more yields

I made screenshot so you can see the beauty of your work
A Lumbermill that produces Lumber instead of hammers

@Sephi

You tweaked this modcomp to produce apropirate resource as 4th yeld?

So ex stone quarry produces stone. Iron mine iron etc..

It will be awesome if you decide to share the code :)

@Sephi

You tweaked this modcomp to produce apropirate resource as 4th yeld?

So ex stone quarry produces stone. Iron mine iron etc..

It will be awesome if you decide to share the code :)

i tweaked this modcomp to increase the maximum of yields from 6 to 12. Iron mines that produce iron is even possible without this modcomp (my mod already does that for like two years), it just doesn't look that pretty without asafs modcomp.

The New yields are global pools. You see them on the main interface (how much lumber you have / make per turn). Mouseover also shows how much each city produces. I haven't modified the city interface yet to display it.

There are different uses, also different ways to gain them. Chopping forests for example gives lumber instead of production. you can use stone to rush buildings (similar to how you would rush building with population in slavery, just that it produces no unhappiness and costs stone instead of population). Equipment are promotions that cost new yields (swords cost metal, hide armor costs leather, and so on). Some Buildings also require the new yields, which encourages you to build the buildings only in some cities, not all.

You can pretty much use them for whatever you want :D

Very nice!
It's good to see that this modcomp is put into good use.
I wish I could find the time to start modding Civ4 again... I have a few ideas I'd like to test.

Asaf there is an issue with this modcomp however:
if you have a tile with 4 or more yields, the fourth yield is displayed on top of the other three which leads to flickering when zooming because the yields are displayed on top of each other.

any ideas how to fix this?

Top Bottom