Community opinions on yield inflation

Is yield inflation an issue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One enormous source of yields in the first Era is barbarian kill yields with Raging Barbarians. Currently it feels like >70% of yields come from barbs.
Raging barbs is an alternative style, and is not the default assumptions for the balance of the mod. Raging barbs is almost certainly going to overpower certain strats and weaken others....that's the price you pay for straying from the default.

Do you have examples?
In comparison to the base game:

1. Leader abilities are long and complex. They have more bonuses besides their main effect. These bonuses often dictate a certain playstyle. My example would be Egypt where in the original it was one line of text (Reduce wonder cost by 20%) and was still very flexible. Now it has an additional bonus (Improve landmarks and artifacts and wonder cost reduction is doubled in a golden age) which are unrelated to each other and dictate very clearly an artistry/culture victory. The reason I prefer the original one is because the less complex ability makes it easier for me to comprehend and see myself using this ability in a creative manner and differentiate it to other abilities. It feels like I want to try it out.

2. Building texts are so long. Besides their main effect they buff each other and an improvement and/or resource, reduce unhappiness and still have additional, smaller bonus. You could just remove any of those effects of every building and it would make them more unique and flexible. For example, you could just not let them buff each other and not much would change except that you are more flexible in your building choices, like Arena for example which you often want to build for its production on other building although you don't even want its main effect, tourism.
By smaller bonuses I mean for example additional border growth on city growth of the camp which doesn't matter after like 30 turns or 3 citizen but you have them for the rest of the game and it doesn't even have anything to do with its main effect.
The point here is just that I prefer focused buildings where I can see at a glance what it does and how it differentiates from other choices I have right now.

3. Every other tech buffs an improvement. In the original Economics and Fertilizer where unique techs where you could finally buff your improvements. If you would cut the improvements buffs in the tech tree in half, it would make tech decision making easier to comprehend and techs more unique. There are sometimes so many bonuses that your working memory or attention or whatever can't possibly process the tech as a whole.

I think I just like simplicity in those things because civ is itself such a complex game already and it´s hard to make many complex decisions. When I play the original that's the thing I miss the most. You more often have a clear decison with a clear outcome. I think VP often feels more balanced because you don´t even notice the difference of a single tech or building when so many other techs or buildings do the same thing just a bit differently. Obviously I still prefer VP because it offers many different and unique features especially with 4UC or UCS.

You could just remove any of those effects of every building and it would make them more unique and flexible.
Then most of them are not worth building. May as well work processes till the end.
Every other tech buffs an improvement.
Without this, techs are boring and you don't get tech advantages.

It's precisely because there are so many moving parts that we manage to keep every component unique.

Also this thread belongs to the graveyard. Why dig it up?

In regard to city specialization, it seems as if the happiness system also influences the choice/need to build any particular building.

Also this thread belongs to the graveyard. Why dig it up?
I will give you examples the next time I play :) Could be a while though.

Then most of them are not worth building. May as well work processes till the end.
Production costs of buildings would need to be adjusted. Also you would have less production for processes through fewer tech improvement buffs and less building effects.
Without this, techs are boring and you don't get tech advantages.

It's precisely because there are so many moving parts that we manage to keep every component unique.
I guess I have a different opinion on uniqueness then. I don‘t think that something gets unique through many smaller non-unique bonuses, but through a unique main effect. Its also more about that its difficult to comprehend and differentiate something which has so many different effects to it. It just makes decision making easier and more fun in my eyes.

Top Bottom