The Deity Challenge Line-up #35 - Siam OCC

Well one screenshot of my progress - as you'll see World Church and some city state allies is really making life a lot easier. I'm not really sure what Victory I'm aiming for. It was originally diplomatic but it seems like I'm picking up a heap of Wonders.

Spoiler :
From that earlier screenshot I paid Assyria to attack Greece and they eventually got wiped out completely so after hitting their capital with a Great Prophet their religion is gone which means I've completely converted Assyria and i'm working on Morocco now

Spoiler :

T293 DiploV.

Spoiler :

I decided to carry on from my last attempt and see where it would take me. Took the only way out. TPT and BPT are too low for their respective victories. Managed to ally all the remaining CSes thanks to Coups, decent GPT and Arsenal of Democracy unit spam. This is also possible because Alex was nom'd by Ashur.

Half the CS were useless Mercantile, so going Patronage as my 2nd tree was also useless. I did finish Aesthetics here, but still only managed 200TPT with all the multiplier buildings, so even Aesthetics is doubtful choice (though it does give me plenty of CPT). Maybe should've went Commerce first instead before getting in Patronage.

England and Aztec were definitely much easier than Persia for me

Yeah, well it's just my own rough sorting. Acne can amend it/dispense with it as he sees fit, on the next blurb. ;)

s you'll see World Church and some city state allies is really making life a lot easier.

Yes, I think World Church is essential to this game. The allies are hard to get, but they are there. :)

Wow, I don’t like how OCC means cities vanish on conquest. I had assumed they would raze normally.

After resetting, I have a coherent religion: Papal Primacy, Evangelism, Missionary Zeal, and I built the Great Mosque of Djenne. So missionaries get 3 spreads instead of 2, +25% strength, and erode other faith like GPr. I plan to covert the AIs that don’t found, pass World Religion, and go for Diplo.

After resetting, I have a coherent religion: Papal Primacy, Evangelism, Missionary Zeal, and I built the Great Mosque of Djenne. So missionaries get 3 spreads instead of 2, +25% strength, and erode other faith like GPr. I plan to covert the AIs that don’t found, pass World Religion, and go for Diplo.

Great Mosque is very good for this map. If you faith buy a Great Prophet in the Industrial era they will come with 5 opportunities to spread instead of the normal 4.

And I suppose you can go on to Reformation and get the Charitable Missions

Yes, I think World Church is essential to this game. The allies are hard to get, but they are there. :)

Indeed I found it very hard to get early Citystate allies but now with some points in Patronage I'm having no problems.

Also thanks for the advice on Swords into Ploughshares - without a doubt that is one of the best beliefs for a 1 city civ. This map doesn't give you a lot of food tiles either (even with Petra) so growth is even more important.

Nice to see AI win SV on T290 :)

I needed 12 more turns till nanotechnology (was ready to buy the last part) and on T299 I had one more RA.

Spoiler :

As you can see on the map Iroquis and Assyria conquered a lot of lands.

Other than that, I had HG and Petra - otherwise I would not even continue playing :D

I had 3 good friends and 3 RA in place most of the game.

Attachments

• dcl_siam_sun.jpg
    dcl_siam_sun.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 670
I took another attempt. I got another DiploV, T287 this time.

Spoiler :

This time, I managed to get ToA, Petra, Pisa, GT, and Uffizi which I missed in my last game. All that wonder is also making my religion actually useful. Could've attempted CV this time had I picked Internet, but since culture leader was Songhai (Morocco was torn apart by Germany and Assyria) which is on the other side of the continent, I'm forced to take another DV if I want to keep it sub300. It's perplexing me that I've been doing a lot better from the last game and still only managed to win 6 turns earlier on the same victory type.

T295 DiploV

2nd vote, 3 civs remaining by that stage. Each had around 50 cities and could have wiped me off the map had I not looked after myself. I think on this occasion I actually deserve credit for my Diplomacy. It truly was a Diplomatic win.

Original plan was a late Domination with XCOMs but frankly when it was clear that there were two absolute runaways in this game, I felt like it would be a really slow battle and one of them might launch before I finished. So I instead concentrated on buying the CS and keeping the two monsters friendly.

Write up and pics to follow.

Great Mosque is very good for this map. If you faith buy a Great Prophet in the Industrial era they will come with 5 opportunities to spread instead of the normal 4. And I suppose you can go on to Reformation and get the Charitable Missions

I don’t usually have any luck with the Religious wonders. I like Evangelism better than Charitable missions, but that would be a good choice too.

This map doesn't give you a lot of food tiles either (even with Petra) so growth is even more important.

Are people having good luck with Hanging Gardens and/or Petra?

I lost by SV on turn 327. I was nowhere close to Globalism. I am going to retry with Tradition. I still want to make Piety work, but I will go back to the Egypt map for that.

Turn 76 now just finished building Petra. Also have Hanging Gardens.

I am not getting any love on what is now my third try. DF went early to West. HG went around T55 before I unlocked the tech, then Petra went about ten 10 turn later before I unlocked Currency. All that cause NC to be late, and then I missed out the last religion too. Rage quit.

I played once and got HG. Then I played again and got Petr. But this map epitomizes why I really dont enjoy deity. The path to success is very naarrow here. There is very little room for deviation and thats just not much fun.

So is this basically a "click next turn for 300 turns to get Diplo" kind of game? I don't know if I should try.

So is this basically a "click next turn for 300 turns to get Diplo" kind of game? I don't know if I should try.

In my game, I actually had to work my ass off not to get absorbed into one of two mega-empires that chewed up all the others. The furthest thing from a 'Next turn' kind of game.

My second game was completely peaceful, for me at least. Some of the AI got nuked though.

Spoiler :

Damn, i started this dcl and anyone else is being bullied for no reason at turn 150 ? No chance i can be conquered as i have enough units to repel any attempt but my allied cses are suffering a lot.

That s saddening considering i made an awesome start: nc turn60, HG turn 72, petra t80, oracle t88, HS t100, FP t130. Got a religion with monasteries, tithe and +2 for wonders which is pretty good considering dirt and my wonder spam.

I still think i m gonna go for a DiploV as it s the one i didnt do in the dcls, but being dowed by 4 civs so soon, with 2 other denouncing me and hints from another one comploting against me is sojething i had never witnessed. Damn them all.

Any idea why the hate ? Too many wonders built ?

Too many wonders built ?
Considering that you managed to Wonder spam as if you were playing on King, (well done, btw) that might have something to do with it. I only managed to build Temple of Artemis and Sistine Chapel and thought the early game went well. :lol:

That is strange. All the AIs are miles away so you really shouldn't be getting attacked. I DoWed 2 AIs early for worker and wonder blocking, had more wonders than all the other AIs in my game and the hate was only starting to roll when I became the lone Freedom. Maybe you did something in world council?

So like... can folks explain how they got HG and Petra? Morocco built HG on t50 and Petra in t62. I reloaded pre-HG and DoW'ed him. He stopped with the HG but still built Petra.

Top Bottom