Quest for Glory - Deity Challenge #3

Nizef

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Hi there,

I thought it was time for a new challenge. This time we play as Assyria on a large sized Continents map with standard speed. Here the task is to get a Domination win even though all VCs are enabled. The start is very nice, but you can be sure there still are some tough times ahead...

Remember to report back how you fared.

Attachments

• Qfg3.jpg
    Qfg3.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 82
  • QfG3_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    826.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hi there,

I thought it was time for a new challenge. This time we play as Songhai on a large sized Continents map with standard speed. Here the task is to get a Domination win even though all VCs are enabled. The start is very nice, but you can be sure there still are some tough times ahead...

Remember to report back how you fared.
You said Songhai, am I crazy or is that Assyria?

No worries. I'll definitely be trying this. I've only really tried Deity once as Poland and it went well, but typically do immortal only. I'll be starting this tonight. Thanks for the new challenge!

I'll give it a try. Although after the GotM Zulu domination I fear I will fell like the Assyrian's are quite weak. I've never been able to make the siege tower work very well, but we'll see. Definitely SiP and hope at least one of those wheat are desert.

I gave up already lol. I'll wait to see how others handle it and try again.
Spoiler :
There's lots of good land. Lots of good desert - and I get beat to Desert Folklore. Then Adam, my starting warrior, gets surrounded and perishes in an ambush by horders of barbarians; there was absolutely no chance of escape. So many barbs I had to check and see if raging barbs was on. Then my first settler gets blocked by more barbs and a barb camp appears on the tile near the faith NW that I was aiming to found my first city on. Its turn 37 or something and I'm too far behind already.

My progress so far.

Settled 5 cities. Got desert folklore thanks to the wonder in the second city. Spread my religion to most of the my continent as nobody else got one on this land mass. Have pagodas and religious community.
Finished liberty and build pyramids, then opened Honor (will finish it for gold generation from unit kills) but also opened rationalism so I could build Porcelain Tower for the free scientist. Doing well on tech, I am at 42 and leader is at 44. No AIs showing they opened rationalism, so this will be easy to finish.

Conquest wise.
Took Istanbul with Galleases and crossbows. I built Dur-Sharrukin on the gems as a canal city to unlock water access to Istanbul, both to make the attack easier and later to have Istanbul contribute to naval unit generation. I put a siege tower on a boat next to the city for the awesome attack bonus.
Next I had to grind through 5 million impis to get to Ulundi. It was a stalemate around Cerro de Potosi at first as Impis eat through pikeman, so I couldn't hold a line. Shaka loves to spam Impis so much, even if you kill multiple a turn it's not enough. Luckily while building Impis he ain't building naval units, so I broke the stalemate by swinging the fleet around, now upgraded to Frigates, crushing the few triremes and establishing naval supremacy. Also teching to longswords, stealing gunpowder and getting 3 muskets on the front line. Ulundi promptly fell after that. Now I have to liberate India so I have a pal to donate to the cities I don't want for the remainder of the game. Luckily there is a north passage around the continent, so I can swing my frigates around to help with Delhi on the east coast. I am also going to need to remove most of the Zulu cities on this continent otherwise Shaka will just rebuild his army and attack me later once my army is on the other continent.

qfg3t188.png

qfg3t188_2.png

What are the mods that are needed to play these? I have no mods and when I try to load these Deity games, my game says I need some DLC but doesn't specify what.

What are the mods that are needed to play these? I have no mods and when I try to load these Deity games, my game says I need some DLC but doesn't specify what.
DLCs are base game expansions and most games require at least Gods and Kings expansion pack and Brave New World expansion pack. Some games also require civ-specific expansions, like Mongolia, Denmark, Korea etc.

I have the full game, and all civs, updated to the last patch. And I was able to play games from the other Deity Challenge. But when I download these and try to load them, it gives me a message "Required DLC not available."

T276 finally took the last capital.

Approach
  • Policies finished liberty and honor, 1 in rationalism, 1 in exploration, 7 in Autocracy
  • Rushed battleships then artillery
  • Approached the second continent from west of east
  • With honor finisher gold generation ended up buying a bunch of units on the 2nd continent due to the distance.
  • To deal with unhappiness was giving India cities not required for victory

win t276 qfg3.png

I have the full game, and all civs, updated to the last patch. And I was able to play games from the other Deity Challenge. But when I download these and try to load them, it gives me a message "Required DLC not available."
I am sorry, but I have no clear idea of the prblem you are facing. One mod is being used, the In-game editor. However, that one should not be necessary for you to play the game. Since the game is complaining about a missing DLC, I am bound to think that the problem has something to do with them. In QfG3 the AIs are America, Austria, the Aztecs, India, the Netherlands, the Ottomans, Persia, Portugal and the Zulus. Do you have all of them?

I do have all of those. I have the complete game. Maybe I'll try downloading the in-game editor and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for helping me try to troubleshoot.

For what it's worth I looked in my MODS folder, and I do seem to have Ingame Editor (v 39) installed. Don't remember installing it, but I have a ton of mods, which I am not using. I am also running Enhanced User Interface.

I took a Liberty (all) -> Exploration (2) -> Rationalism (all) -> Autocracy path. I've played up to turn 229 and just took Washington with Persepolis, Tenochtitlan and Vienna still to go. It's a tough slog with some long ocean distances and inland capitals, but the snowball is rolling. I'm loading up a carrier with some bombers and soon it will be on it's way to help with the final push.

QfG3-T55.png
Istanbul94.png
Assurbanipal150.png
Lisbon199.png
Amsterdam209.png
228Washington.png

Just want
I do have all of those. I have the complete game. Maybe I'll try downloading the in-game editor and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for helping me try to troubleshoot.
Just wanted to mention that the Enjoyable Deity Games thread in the Strategy&Tips section contains more than 160 Deity games. Most of those games are totally unmodded. Maybe you have already had a look at them?

Yes, I think I played two or three. Part of what was fun to me about doing so, though, was playing along with others, But you've given me a possible fix. Let me try it out. I've never modded the game, but it can't be that hard to load one of the standard mods. If after that I still can't play it, que sera sera.

DLC that affect saved games are not limited to Civs -- if my memory serves me correctly, it also applies to map packs. So if someone has (for example) scrambled continents (or whatever it is called) their saved game will not be playable for someone who does not have that map pack loaded.

Top Bottom