Is this right?

Milamber

Chieftain
So ive just started my first game in prehistoric era with Aztecs and I have -9 gold on first turn so my city immediately strikes and I lose all my units due to lack of funds. Is this a bug?

You should not have negative gold on your first turn. I have never seen anyone post such a thing before. Post a screenshot, or better yet a save of the first turn so people can look at it and see if there is an explanation. If there isn't then you got hit by a random glitch in the loading of the game or you have a bad install. Try starting a new game and see if it happens again. If so, probably a bad install and you should reinstall. If not, just a random loading glitch that you will probably never see again.

if it's your first turn, how do you have units plural?

edit: yeah sounds like a bug.

Ok I thought I had it on impossible mode or something! I started a new game and my gold is now 0 rather than -9 but my first city is immedialty unhappy and unhealthy, I also have +7 income but my treasury is staying at 0 and not increasing. Perhaps a bad install?

Do you know how to take a screenshot? hit printscreen then open mspaint and ctrl-v. lol I want to see this.

but yeah that's really weird. probably a bad install.

what where your three units?
I'd expect only 2.

you're playing a normal game right? Single player --> Play Now --> etc? not some weird scenario?

I've tried reinstalling but still getting the same thing, I'm playing it with Wine on Mac so this might be causing issues although its reported as working ok here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492744

I can't take a screenshot as the screenshot key in steam is not working, its a normal game but loaded it through 'custom game' setup. I tried loading one with 'Play Now' and there was slight difference as I started with one less unit and -6 instead of -9, so maybe its to do with some custom settings?

I've tried reinstalling but still getting the same thing, I'm playing it with Wine on Mac so this might be causing issues although its reported as working ok here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=492744

I can't take a screenshot as the screenshot key in steam is not working, its a normal game but loaded it through 'custom game' setup. I tried loading one with 'Play Now' and there was slight difference as I started with one less unit and -6 instead of -9, so maybe its to do with some custom settings?

I don't know anything about macs or wine, but i'd say the problem is almost certainly there.

This game has a lot of XML files where it stores settings that you can tweak with mods, if one of those files is corrupted or broken or didn't install correctly, or isn't being read correctly due to OS issues, maybe that would be causing your issues?

Although I have no clue how to fix it, besides just saying "Install real windows, Microsoft 4lyfe", but i'm guessing that's not helpful ;)

Screenshot in Mac is Apple-Shift-3. Sounds like bad install--unless you're doing an advanced start.

Ha..that's a good catch, Lennier. Using the "advanced start" option could put you in a deficit situation depending on what you buy at the beginning. Could explain why OP has "units"

Sorry I thought I was posting this in the Caveman2Cosmos mod forum but I obviously misposted! I'm using that mod and think it must be due to a custom option thats enabled...

details ;)

Try loading a game using just BTS, no mod. If that works properly, then your problem is with the mod.

If not, there is also a thread on using Wine on a Mac in the Mac forum. You could try posting there.

You can run into negative gold very fast in the Caveman2Cosmos mod when you capture (I've forgotten the right word/term) a lot of barbarian animals.
They will give you a lot of good stuff in your cities when you have the proper technologies.

C2C is a weird mod (I play it occasionally) and strange things can happen when you're playing it.

Top Bottom