The lone soldier fighting

jasper

Warlord
a severely weakened unit displays a lone soldier. when the severely weakened unit gets attacked you know its going to die. before the unit dies that lone soldier puts on a heroic last stand cutting down 3-4-5 men before he is finally over come.

he deserves this post for his courage, resolve and strength.

Especially when he goes and kills that unguarded ai great General or goes and pillages the ai's source of iron!

Back in the ancient days lone soldiers lasted hundreds of years by themselves before crumbling to enemy armies

One of the hardest things in the game is to send that lone soldier to his death.

Back in Civ III, where unit losses were a lot higher, if I could afford the unit maintenance, I would keep one obsolete unit, of a kind that had done great service in some early war, stationed outside my capital. It was a statue in honor of those lost soldiers.

I think the funnier thing is when you attack an unit, and it ends with only one guy left on it. its kind alike your guys said: "eh, well this is all we're paid for" "screw this work, I'm off fer my cuppa now"

One of the hardest things in the game is to send that lone soldier to his death.

Back in Civ III, where unit losses were a lot higher, if I could afford the unit maintenance, I would keep one obsolete unit, of a kind that had done great service in some early war, stationed outside my capital. It was a statue in honor of those lost soldiers.

Hey I did too except mine would be a unique unit.

I think the funnier thing is when you attack an unit, and it ends with only one guy left on it. its kind alike your guys said: "eh, well this is all we're paid for" "screw this work, I'm off fer my cuppa now"

If my units do that, I get pissed. WHY CAN'T YOU JUST KILL THAT LAST GUY!

I did this in Civ3 and Civ4. My capital would be pretty safe, and I would keep one instance of the unique unit around, in the capital, as a memorial. Sometimes I would even name it, "Museum Piece." One of the fringe benefits of having dozens of units in those games.

It's because, IIRC, even a unit with only 1/100 health still does around 66% of its maximum damage (unless you're Japan, in which case it does 100% of its maximum damage. And the men you see are abstractions of the unit's health. So when a unit with 1 HP attacks a unit with full HP, you can still expect that guy to kill two or even three "men" before going down.

It's particularly hilarious when you see a lone Pikeman assault 10 Musketmen. The Musketmen fire salvo after salvo, hitting nothing at all while the Pikeman kills one man after another with precise thrusts. It's like something out of a bad epic action movie.

It's particularly hilarious when you see a lone Pikeman assault 10 Musketmen. The Musketmen fire salvo after salvo, hitting nothing at all while the Pikeman kills one man after another with precise thrusts. It's like something out of a bad epic action movie.

Could be, could be...
Spoiler :

Using the survivalism promotion for the scout also helps the scout last a lot longer and heal a lot faster outside cultural borders.

The death of a million soldiers is a statistic. The death of the lone soldier is a tragedy.

-ancient civilization proverb

I think the Lone Soldier should get his own spinoff game.

That would be about half the games ever made. One man/fighter jet/spaceship/Gundam vs the entire Russia/aliens/Gamilon armada/Principality of Zeon.

That would be about half the games ever made. One man/fighter jet/spaceship/Gundam vs the entire Russia/aliens/Gamilon armada/Principality of Zeon.

No no no! it would be you playing as said Lone Soldier in a first person view, and it would be turnbased! and as the levels go on you advanche through the techs so you start as a warrior and end up as a GDR pilot with you, the player, selecting what unit to upgrade to! so you could go warrior, archer, swordsman .... Mechanized infantry!

No no no! it would be you playing as said Lone Soldier in a first person view, and it would be turnbased! and as the levels go on you advanche through the techs so you start as a warrior and end up as a GDR pilot with you, the player, selecting what unit to upgrade to! so you could go warrior, archer, swordsman .... Mechanized infantry!
Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock?

But the only way to remain a lone soldier is to keep ever in motion. If you stop moving, your injured comrades will heal and join you again, and you won't be lone any more.

But you can also never attack, or you'll die.

Now I think I know how I want to play such a unit the next time one results in one of my games, as an eternal wanderer.

Top Bottom