[BNW] Warrior Code policy in Honor tree

The Warrior Code policy grants increased Great General generation and bonus production on Melee units. However, this production bonus indeed only applies to Melee units, ie. not Gunpowder units. The excellent Discipline policy, also in Honor, grants the 15% combat strength bonus even to late game Gunpowder/Armored units since here Melee is understood to mean 'units that fight at melee range'. Thus, I'm wondering if this distinction with Warrior Code is actually a bug and questioning at any rate if it should be changed (since as we all know there is a great chance of more patching for civ V with Firaxis' excellent support :rolleyes:). The Tradition and Liberty trees give significant bonuses even into the late game so I don't see why all policies in Honor shouldn't do the same (even though the Great General bonus of course continues to apply). I'm not one of the seemingly endless amount of silly posters anxious to bash the Honor tree but this is one boost I would be willing to grant its policies.

I always thought it's silly to separate melee units and gunpowder units, when, for all intents and purposes, they serve the exact same function.

Maybe for some things (like Zulu UA), it could work for flavor purposes, but I given how weak Honor is compared to Liberty and Tradition, I'd say tossing Honor players a bone by changing Warrior Code wouldn't be too bad.

Thank you for the information :thumbsup:. I have open Honor and usually go with all the left-side and stop there to move to other Social Policies. My incorrect thoughts where that for Discipline policy means Melee units and not Gunpowder units. With your information, now mid to late game I might go back to fill out the rest of Honor tree.

I can't say I know why the initial decision was made on Warrior Code (or that I agree with it), but perhaps the differentiation was kept because on post-Gunpowder units a 15% hammer savings would be rather sizable.

Or maybe it's just something that's slipped through the cracks, as the OP suggests.

You know, that 15% bonus given to melee and gunpowder units is also added and used by all melee ships in the game.

I always thought it's silly to separate melee units and gunpowder units, when, for all intents and purposes, they serve the exact same function.

It's a distinction without a difference. They are both land units that take damage when they attack and move into the defender's tile on victory. The only reason to distinguish them is the WC policy AFAICT. Noone thinks honor is OP so it seems pointless.

I think its a hangover from Civ 4, when gunpowder units were mechanically different and had additional bonuses vs non-gunpowder separate from their unit strength.

I think the distinction is made because the developers does not want the bonus to apply to horses and tanks (which also benefit from discipline). A production bonus on top of stable bonus for these units will make them rather strong. Although I feel that the bonus should apply for gunpowder units because they are essentially in the same upgrade path. However I don't know how easy it is to code it.

Sea units could have that distinction in bnw now since sea units weren't able to attack ranged nor were sea units able to attack cities. Sea units don't have the change from melee to gunpowder but do have a really big attack increase per unit.

Agreed, Warrior Code should apply to gunpowder units as well, if only for balance purposes since Honor is hardly overpowered or anything. At least Discipline does apply to gunpowder units.

Agreed, Warrior Code should apply to gunpowder units as well, if only for balance purposes since Honor is hardly overpowered or anything. At least Discipline does apply to gunpowder units.
That's right it should, but it only applies to melee units.

Top Bottom