do you get a penalty for recapturing youre own cities?

hey guys,

So i recently watch a lets play with the maya's and found something interesting. it seems you get a warmonger penalty for recapturing your own city that has been conquered by a enemy. So for example in this lets play alexander conquered tixal from the maya's (the player) and when you capture it back you get a penalty.

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao52O5Gs2E4
start looking at minute 12:00 You notice when he puts his mouse over the city you notice that you get a warmonger penalty.

anybody noticed this penalty ? has anybody encountered it in its lets play ?

if so This mechanic needs to change its weird that nobody noticed this. This is a complete broken mechanic Why should you be punished for liberating your own cities.

Well technically it's no longer your city when you trying to take it back.

When I take a city from the AI. I consider that city to now be 100% mine. All mine mu ha ha. So anyway, I guess that means I need to allow the AI to feel the same way.

It doesn't actually.

What you are noticing is a display bug. The game will say when you mouse over: X warmonger penalty, but when you actually take it and it sees it was your own city it doesn't actually give you the penalty. ;) Be nice if the game told you that though on the display!

Another weird thing that I wish didn't happen is recapturing your own city still halves the population and I think burns buildings. this is dumb...why would you burn your own city and kill people when you recaptured? I wish this was not the case. A couple back-forths and your 20-pop capital can be a 2-pop ruin as a result.

Well technically it's no longer your city when you trying to take it back.

When I take a city from the AI. I consider that city to now be 100% mine. All mine mu ha ha. So anyway, I guess that means I need to allow the AI to feel the same way.

dont thinx that is a good mechanic though not sure if its right because nobody noticed it maybe tooltip is just wrong i thinx. thats why i asked if you get penalty or not.

It doesn't actually.

What you are noticing is a display bug. The game will say when you mouse over: X warmonger penalty, but when you actually take it and it sees it was your own city it doesn't actually give you the penalty. ;) Be nice if the game told you that though on the display!

Another weird thing that I wish didn't happen is recapturing your own city still halves the population and I think burns buildings. this is dumb...why would you burn your own city and kill people when you recaptured? I wish this was not the case. A couple back-forths and your 20-pop capital can be a 2-pop ruin as a result.

Capturing a city (whether it was originally yours or not) has always caused pop-loss and damage to the city in the form of destroyed buildngs. This has been a mechanic of Civ since V1.

It reflects the fact that historically, cities being captured or re-captured (liberated) by direct military action has generally caused massive damage to the city and has usually been accompanied by many civilians being killed.

It doesn't actually.

No i thinx this makes sence that you lose buildings and people you are atacking the city. This happens in real wars to even if its youre own city buildigns will be destroyed by war

And i tested yep this isnt a bug its just a display flaw

Top Bottom