Civs that the A.I plays good and .. not so good.

Best: Iroquois. The guy is solid in every era.
2nd best: Greece. His CS allies are fiercely loyal to the point that bidding war is pointless.

Worst: Venice. Always the first to go, and in a hurry fashion.

Honorable mentions:
Zulu. The guy is very true to himself. One nation against the world. End up last place every single game.
Spain. Her existence is not to play the game but to annoy you to no end. It is a custom to pay her a visit every game she is in.

Best: Iroquois. The guy is solid in every era.
2nd best: Greece. His CS allies are fiercely loyal to the point that bidding war is pointless.

Worst: Venice. Always the first to go, and in a hurry fashion.

Honorable mentions:
Zulu. The guy is very true to himself. One nation against the world. End up last place every single game.
Spain. Her existence is not to play the game but to annoy you to no end. It is a custom to pay her a visit every game she is in.

Nah Dear Isabella would pay you a visit without asking. In fact, she loves all of us so much that she needs to tell you everything. How you are spreading your heathen religion, how you are settling her lands, how you are stealing her NWs and her BFFs City-States and how she hates you for just existing.

Indeed. I still tend to be too soft-hearted and diplomatic to AI civs (the too-heavy warmonger penalties have only exacerbated this) but Alex and Izzy are the two leaders I just can't feel any compunction about destroying, ever. It's like what Marv says in Sin City: "I love hit men. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad."

Best
The Huns: excluding one game when I somehow managed to befriend him, always wipe me off the map when I spawn next to them.
Persia: AI plays very well. One game as Brazil they almost bet me to cultural victory just if me and Denmark hadn't teamed up on Mongolia and Venice. (I went for Mongols and won, he went for Venice and somehow lost)
Montezuma: Don't trust him, it will be your final mistake.
Napoleon: Didn't realise until a week ago how powerful he was. Wiped me off the map.
Polynesia: Always wins cultural in the games he's in. Just amazing how much he wins and how many times he doesn't go to war. Somehow gets everyne on the continent to be his friend (including Monty) and invades India.
Ethiopia: I amass an industrial era army to attack while he's in Rennaissance. He wins.
Brazil: Twice wipes me off the map at modern era.
Shaka: Only spawned next to him once. Didn't go well.

Worst
The Iroquois: My experience is that the Iroquois expand rapidly and ends up in a war with everyone else and gets defeated.
Venice: Annoying and usually gets slaughtered by Shaka or Monty.
Denmark: Got beaten by Venice. Enough said.

Turn up the difficulty, and Shaka becomes scary. One nation against the world, it turns out, isn't a big problem when that one nation inevitably wins. Shaka's pretty much a guaranteed military runaway unless he spawns next to a human player who handles him early.

Attila's kind of the same way, in that he's a joke on anything up to, say, Emperor, and then suddenly begins to win the fights he hurls himself into. Shaka's much more consistently effective than Attila, though.

The worst-played AI civ, hands down, has to be Spain. Izzy will always forward settle on someone, get that city taken, betray pretty much everyone, and end up penniless, isolated and/or dead. Carthage is pretty much the same way.

I also never see much out of Portugal or Morocco. They always seem to skimp on military development and end up murdered by more warlike neighbours. (Although, to be fair, I haven't seen the Morocco AI post-patch--it might be that the increased likelihood of actually using their deserts has made them more defensible).

In my current game versus England she's turtled at the bottom of the map with two cities that are unusually high pop and she has hovered around the top three military powers. Yet, she has failed to clear barb camps on her east and west side for centuries, leaving a juicy four fish, two pearl, two cow two horse city site unclaimed in the 1200s to the east, and leaving her west coast unexplored. As Spain I sidled down there with a caravel and was the first to discover Krakatoa which is less than 15 tiles from her cap. With her huge army she's also been at war with grassland Netherlands for hundreds of years to no effect.

To me she's the most frustrating AI because she amasses advantages and promptly does nothing with them.

To me she's the most frustrating AI because she amasses advantages and promptly does nothing with them.
are there any mods to fix things like that or nobody bothered?

AI is terrible with babylon. They don't know how to lay down a academy. I've had at least 2 diety games now where babylon AI was last in sci

Top Bottom