Trade Route Formula (Putting it altogether) and Trade

ToodleElNoodos

Warlord
Here's some info placed together. I'm gonna use krikkittwo's Sender/Receiver. So whoever you direct your trade route to is the receiver. The Sender usually benefits the most, but there may be reasons you want the Receiver to gain as much as you do.

Anyway, figuring out what YOU receive as the Sender.

Gold Base
Sender City Gold-per-turn (HGPT)
Receiver City Gold-per-turn (DGPT)
Gold bonus from buildings in Sender City
Gold bonus from buildings in Receiver City (Destination Bonus)
Different resources: Bananas, Horses, Whales, Ivory, Iron, Pearls, Cotton, etc..
Route type
Total Revenue

The basic formula is:

[Gold Base + HGPT + DGPT + Home Bonus + Destination Bonus + Resource]*Route = Gold Yield.

For example, if I made a trade from Indonesia Jakarta to Mongol Karakorum, my trade info is as follows:

Gold Base: 1
Batam Gold per turn: 0.75
Karakorum Gold per turn: 0.97
Gold bonus from buildings in Batam: 1
Gold Bonus from buildings in Karakorum: 2
Different resources:
Horses 0.5
Whales 0.5
Marble 0.5
Dyes 0.5
Cotton 0.5
Sea Route: 2x
Total: 16.44 :c5gold:

(1 + 0.75 + 0.97 + 1 + 2 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5) x 2 = 8.22 x 2 = 16.44.

Rounded down, this trade route yields: 16:c5gold: GPT for me.

Some notes:
-Gold base always equals 1:c5gold:.

Gold Per turn is the cities production of gold per turn / 20 (so marketplaces, banks, etc. increase it)

-Gold Bonus from home/[sender] city is NOT from markets and banks, it is from Caravansarries and Harbors.

-Religious pressure is the normal religious pressure.. but it isn't there if they are already receiving it (ie range 10 or less)

-Resource diversity is resourcies IN the city radius.. you can't trade them away (or get them in diplomatic trades/founding other cities)

ALL of that is for the Sender...
For the receiver
no city GPT bonuses
no resource diversity bonus
"Home city bonuses" are from marketplaces /banks (the same ones that give the sender bonuses

-Gold bonus from buildings in Destination City: These are based off the other player's markets and banks. You gain 2:c5gold: for each one in the destination city.

-Resources each produce 0.5:c5gold: for trade. Resource diversity are strategic, luxury, and bonus within both city limits. Indonesia's UA guarantees their first few cities will have +0.5:c5gold: resource diversity bonus. Portugal's UA allows them to gain +1:c5gold: for each resource diversity bonus.

-Resources are counted as within your city area! Even if you trade away all of your copies, you still retain Resource Diversity.

-Sea routes multiply all the bonuses by 2. I'm assuming Caravans are 1...ya...I actually haven't used one yet.

-The number of :c5science: science beakers are:
["# of unknown technologies they don't know" - 1] = :c5science: received they receive.

So say I've discovered 3 technologies, and Mongolia only discovered 2.
Mongolia gains 2:c5science:, and I only gain 1:c5science:.

Also, interesting to note...Indonesia's cities that have Spice resources are thus always guaranteed to have +0.5 to their resource diversity bonus. Since they're usually on sea, your first few cities will always guarantee you gain more gold out of trade. While it is easily outshined Portugal's UA and UI, it wins by being strongest during the Ancient/Classical era while Portugal will reign supreme.

I think Netherland's UA should've been changed so that they also keep their resource diversity even if their last copy is traded away.

Agree !! when I play Netherlands, i always send my last copy for money :)

but if it will reduce 'different resource' modifier , i think i will think twice :lol:

Hey, not sure if it's posted somewhere, search yielded, nothing. But for everyone wondering or want a re-hash, your intake trade is measured via:

Gold Base
Home City Gold-per-turn (HGPT)
Destination City Gold-per-turn (DGPT)
Gold bonus from buildings in Home City (Home Bonus)
Gold bonus from buildings in Destination city (Destination Bonus)
Different resources: Ivory, Iron, Pearls, Cotton, etc..
Route type

The basic formula is:

[Gold Base + HGPT + DGPT + Home Bonus + Destination Bonus + Resource]*Route = Gold Yield.

For example, if I made a trade from Indonesia Batam to Mongol Karakorum, my trade info is as follows:

Gold Bae: 1
Batam Gold per turn: 0.52
Karakorum Gold per turn: 1.2
Gold bonus from buildings in Batam: 1
Gold Bonus from buildings in Karakorum: 4
Different resources:
Whales 0.5
Gold 0.5
Marble 0.5
Sea Route: 2x.

(1 + 0.52 + 1.2 + 1 + 4 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5) x 2 = 9.22 x 2 = 18.44.

Rounded down, this trade route yields: 18:c5gold: GPT.

Some notes:
-Gold base always equals 1:c5gold:.

-Gold per turn is related to the modifiers and markets, stock exchanges, anyone have any clues how it factors in?

-Gold bonus from buildings in Home City: These are based off markets and banks, but for some reason it only gives 1:c5gold:, even if you have both a market and a bank. Not sure if it's a bug or if a city is limited to 1:c5gold: bonus when their ship leaves.

-Gold bonus from buildings in Destination City: These are based off the other player's markets and banks. You gain 2:c5gold: for each one in the destination city.

-Resources each produce 0.5:c5gold: for trade. Resource diversity are strategic, luxury, and bonus. Indonesia's UA guarantees their first few cities will have +0.5:c5gold: resource bonus. Portugal's UA allows them to gain +1:c5gold: resource bonus. I think Netherland's UA should've been changed so that they also keep their resource diversity even if their last copy is traded away.

-Sea routes multiply all the bonuses by 2. I'm assuming Caravans are 1...ya...I actually haven't used one yet.

-The number of :c5science: science beakers are:
["# of unknown technologies they don't know" - 1] = :c5science: received they receive.

So say I've discovered 3 technologies, and Mongolia only discovered 2.
Mongolia gains 2:c5science:, and I only gain 1:c5science:.

Sorry if this is long, but anyone else have anything else to add, for example how to calculate religious pressure?

Also, interesting to note...Indonesia's cities that have Spice resources are thus always guaranteed to have +0.5 to their resource diversity bonus. Since they're usually on sea, your first few cities will always guarantee you gain more gold out of trade. While it is easily outshined Portugal's UA and UI, it wins by being strongest during the Ancient/Classical era while Portugal will reign supreme.

Gold Per turn is the cities production of gold per turn / 20 (so marketplaces, banks, etc. increase it)

Gold Bonus from home city is NOT from markets and banks, it is from Caravansarries and Harbors.

Religious pressure is the normal religious pressure.. but it isn't there if they are already receiving it (ie range 10 or less)

Resource diversity is resourcies IN the city radius.. you can't trade them away (or get them in diplomatic trades/founding other cities)

For the receiver
no city GPT bonuses
"Home city bonuses" are from marketplaces /banks (the same ones that give the sender bonuses

Wait, what is this trading away lux reduces trade bonus thing?
Does it apply to strategic resources too?

If you have a Copper in Washington and a Copper in New York, and you trade one copy away, which one gets traded?

I was pretty sure trading away a copy of resources doesn't affect trade route calculations...

Krikkit: Regarding religious pressure, in my games, religious pressure exists in a trade route if the religion you're pressuring with is not the dominant religion in the city. You can be pressuring them with normal pressure along with a trade route, in which case I believe the pressure is additive (as you would expect).

So wait can internal trade routes give moneys if the cities have different local resources?

Wait, what is this trading away lux reduces trade bonus thing?
Does it apply to strategic resources too?

If you have a Copper in Washington and a Copper in New York, and you trade one copy away, which one gets traded?

I was pretty sure trading away a copy of resources doesn't affect trade route calculations...
Correct, it's just about which resources are in the city's area of influence, not whether you still 'own' the unit of resource or not.

The person you're trading to doesn't gain a copy of them, either.

Doesn't that seem a bit arbitrary to you?

Its not as though there aren't civs in real life who drew money from trade within there own empire, nor that there aren't civs in the game who's UA is directly based of there doing that same activity...

I can understand the problems with drawing cash from internal trade; it might make getting money too easy, but it should at least be able to have money making internal trade between continents?

Would it be ideal to focus your Caravanersery and/or Harbor into 1 or 2 main trading hubs to entice the AI to send their trade Caravans/Ships there for the most profit.

I'm noticing that buildings like the Market benefit from trade being sent to you, as well as being sent out. The beginning of the game has been a challenge for me personally since my old strategies didn't work, and now i'm trying to find the most efficient way to make money from these trade routes

Would it be ideal to focus your Caravanersery and/or Harbor into 1 or 2 main trading hubs to entice the AI to send their trade Caravans/Ships there for the most profit.

I'm noticing that buildings like the Market benefit from trade being sent to you, as well as being sent out. The beginning of the game has been a challenge for me personally since my old strategies didn't work, and now i'm trying to find the most efficient way to make money from these trade routes

I think this is indeed the case. Particularly if you go Tall and get the East India Company and other Wonders (Colossus?), you'll want all of your trade through a minimum of cities.

Oh, and pro tip: Make sure your Guilds (WAM) are in a City that has a Garden (whether Hanging or on fresh water). Every 25% helps when trying to spam them.

Now do you guys see the power of Portuguese UA, Mare Clausum?
Instead of 0.5 per resource, Mad Maria gets 1.0

Doesn't that seem a bit arbitrary to you?

Its not as though there aren't civs in real life who drew money from trade within there own empire, nor that there aren't civs in the game who's UA is directly based of there doing that same activity...

I can understand the problems with drawing cash from internal trade; it might make getting money too easy, but it should at least be able to have money making internal trade between continents?

You get internal money by city connections (no need for caravans/cargo ships, just roads/harbors)

Now do you need to improve resources for them to count in resource diversity, or is it just that the tile they're located on needs to be able to be worked?

Correct, it's just about which resources are in the city's area of influence, not whether you still 'own' the unit of resource or not.

The person you're trading to doesn't gain a copy of them, either.

OP should really edit the initial post (which otherwise has some great info) so as not to confuse people.

Netherlands is just as powerful as it was before, and you are not hurt by trading away your last copy. The increase naval focus probably benefits their UU too. And the +2 gold after economics is a great tile-boost to have, to draw more trade routes from other civs (and thus more money for you). So, indirectly, Netherlands actually got a decent buff.

Krikkit: Regarding religious pressure, in my games, religious pressure exists in a trade route if the religion you're pressuring with is not the dominant religion in the city. You can be pressuring them with normal pressure along with a trade route, in which case I believe the pressure is additive (as you would expect).

i think in my experience, religious pressure are trade that beyond the original city religious pressure.

i try with venice, and founded religion, i spread to other civ city, and then they trade with you, then venice increase religious pressure with additional trade note with it

Gold Bonus from home city is NOT from markets and banks, it is from Caravansarries and Harbors.

Religious pressure is the normal religious pressure.. but it isn't there if they are already receiving it (ie range 10 or less)

Resource diversity is resourcies IN the city radius.. you can't trade them away (or get them in diplomatic trades/founding other cities)

For the receiver
no city GPT bonuses
good stuff. It's also notable that it's a plus on indonesis UA.

Other civs will always try to trade with whoever is in range with the most money payback. So you take a costal city that's part trading posts and part food on a 2-3 resource area from Indonesia you still have bonus resources adding more to the modifier and making your city more and more trade worthy.

The change reminds me of civ 4's specialized cities. I'm having 1 or two cities loaded up on gold production and one of them with East India Company the AI can't resist the easy india company with high gold and a bunch of resources.

The end result is high science and gold for you.

I absolutely love how it just just tell you what kind of money the route makes but gives you the formula every time.

Top Bottom