Anno Domini II demo

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone!!

At last I'm pleased to upload the demo version of Anno Domini II. In the demo, you can play as one of eight civilizations: Athens, Brigantia, Carthage, Egypt, Maurya, Persia, Rome and Sparta. There are some details about each civ, plus some screenshots of the civilopedia at the website - the link is in my signature.

With the demo, you can play a full game of ADII. Whilst I've removed the flcs of the unneeded civilizations and units to reduce the download size, I have left in the civilopedia pics for those items, so you can have a good look around the civilopedia to see what's in store for the other civilizations. The civs that have been chosen have most or all of their units in place and (in one or two cases) generic units to ensure they don't miss out. Every entry in the civilopedia comes complete with an accurate description of which civs it's relevant to and a written description of the item - the only one that's incorrect is the 3-man chariot, as I've given it to most of the civilizations in the demo in lieu of their own chariot when ADII actually comes out.

The tech trees have all the arrows pointing correctly except for diplomacy at the end -as I'm in two minds with this tech; could be a debating point for this thread!

Please download, have fun and feed back. I think it's a slicker version than the first one; also as I've not really used much in the way of unique tech trees, it's allowed more unique wonders and buildings which we didn't have before.

Looking forward to your comments!! If nothing else, there's some unreleased leaderheads here ;)!!

Download Anno Domini II demo

EDIT: Just so that there's no confusion, here's what you need to do:
01. Download the mod :cooool:
02. Extract the contents into any location on your hard drive.
03. You should now have a folder named "ADII demo"; open it and inside you'll find another folder labelled "Anno Domini II demo" and a BIQ.
04. Move the folder labelled "Anno Domini II demo" and the BIQ to the Conquests/Scenarios folder
05. Launch the game and select "Civ-content" and then "Anno Domini II demo"
06. Have fun ;)!!

UPDATE 14th March 2011
The demo has been patched to version 1.1. The new version has:
  • Minoa - complete with a small sailing vessel available from the start of the game (it cannot transport settlers though)
  • Harappa - which has workers which require no monetary support and can irrigate without fresh water once irrigation has been discovered
  • Bug fixes for the kieftu, bowman and rider
  • There are diplomacy texts - at least the start of them!!
  • Changed upgrade path so that A2D1M1 upgrade to swordsmen at bronze working
  • Three new units for the Indian civs: Golden Spearmen, Golden Swordsmen and Pandyan Spearmen - so get rid of those generic units!
  • Two new buildings for Indian civs - the mandir and the Ashvameda. The former reduces war weariness in era one, whilst the latter allows the Indian civs the possibility of a diplomatic victory
The main upload has been updated so that you download version 1.1 automatically. If you'd prefer to simply patch what you had before, at a mere 11.3MB, then go here.

The site looks very nice :)

I was reading a bit the entry for Sparta. It is a bit ambiguous if in it you claim that Macedonia was a Hellenic nation or not. Poseidon, the patron of horses, the sea, and my cities, was alarmed, so i think you should make clearer your position :D

The site looks very nice :)

I was reading a bit the entry for Sparta. It is a bit ambiguous if in it you claim that Macedonia was a Hellenic nation or not. Poseidon, the patron of horses, the sea, and my cities, was alarmed, so i think you should make clearer your position :D
Thanks for the comment; it's my understanding that Macedonia is Hellenic. The civilopedia entry was the one I used in AD Classic and was copied from the net - possibly wikipedia.

I see :)

It is your mod of course, and you can have what entries you like in it. I just would not want to have work in something that goes against my own identity (i live in Greek Macedonia).

I see :)

It is your mod of course, and you can have what entries you like in it. I just would not want to have work in something that goes against my own identity (i live in Greek Macedonia).

What?!!?

This is wonderful. I work hard on a mod for months and the only comments I get upon its release are about me going against someone's identity due to copying a civilopedia entry from wikipedia?!!?

I'm perplexed.

Hm, i meant it in a positive way, ie i am happy with your comment and now move on to examine the mod itself, apart from that query i had.

But we both know the mod will be great anyway, so no reason to hold one's breath about that ;)

Usually that error is almost always the duplicate folder-in-a-folder problem after unzipping or unraring the file. It still happens to me every now and then ;). But there was an older mod (can't remember which one), which I still can't get to work, and it does the same thing and the folder structure is properly setup.

EDIT: Just had time to take a closer look at it; I'll download and give some feedback!

Thanks to those people who have downloaded the demo and who are giving it a go. Does it look better than the original?

I am now aiming for a release of a second demo on April 4th. I have an intensive course and set of exams before then, but then will have about four days free to do some more work on the mod. What I'm aiming to do for the updated demo is:

01. Increase the number of civs available to play to 16.
02. Get some unique buildings in there for the African civs - any suggestions?
03. Start sorting out some new popheads and advisor heads.
04. Make the diplomacy text more relevent to each civilization.
05. Add a few more buildings and units!!

In terms of the diplomacy wonder near the end of the game, I could do with a version for the Indian civs. I need to have a look at Blue Monkey's bazaar thread to ascertain exactly what. What uniqueness could I give to the African civs? One thought is no resources required for units; another is to make their unique buildings all have some culture so that they're more likely to get a culture victory.

There are civs, such as Assyria and Minoa, who don't have an opportunity to get a diplomatic or trade victory. Is there something else I can do for them?

Over to you guys. Looking forward to the feedback ;).

Regarding African Civs -

I'm certainly no expert on the area, but it seems to me that Africa had its big day in the sun (so to speak) first, before anyone else did. There you find the emergence of the very first humans, the first great civilization and Solomon's Mines. Then it goes to sleep about the time of the Roman emergence for the next 2000 years or so, is plundered and abused by both inner and outer forces, then emerges in the 21st century poised to be the next land of opportunity because of vast rare mineral deposits and emergent economies with significant comparative wage advantages. Imagine an event, an "African Renaissance", that occurs sometime in the next few decades: peace and responsible government break out across Africa, and its vast pool of young talent is unleashed in great green industries - solar megafarms in the Sahara, and biomass refining in the Congo. Meanwhile, cooperative and worker-owned mines in the south foster a new prosperity which leads to a secondary wave of investment in factories in the northeast of the continent, leading to a new burgeoning middle class and social mobility continent-wide, and at that point Africa will have traded its present troubles for our own problems of traffic jams and cellphone reception, but without the tremendous toxic pollution and economic disparity that could derail China, the corporate greed-lock that has gripped the east Asian rim and most western countries, the population pressures of India and China, resource depletion problems of South America, or problems caused by the likely future irrelevance of oil in the Middle East and Russia.

In other words, IMHO, Africa has two possible golden eras: the distant past, and the no-so-immediate future.

As far as Assyria and Minoa are concerned, cultural victory seems to be their strong point, again IMHO. But I would argue that Minoa should be Greek, and that Assyria and Babylon should be just one Civ called Babylonia:

Assyria, in its day (by way of its Chaldean-Babylonian astronomers) also developed the base-60 mathematics we use in geometry, mapping and clocks, and calculated the speed of the moon to within .06 seconds - a feat not equaled until computers came on the scene 3000 years later. Assyria was the birthplace of Abraham (Ur), and the Laws of Hammurabi. Trouble is, Assyria, Babylon, and Persia are practically synonyms in historical terms - each occupied much of the same land and each benefited primarily from their association with the amazing scholarship and imagination of the Wise Men (Magoi or Magi) of the city of Babylon. In Hellenic times, Babylonian scholarship gave the world eminent Stoic philosophers, and the discovery of the procession of the equinoxes; in the middle ages, our numbering system, including Zero, and Algebra, and Assassins came from that part of the world; scholars from there then re-introduced the west to the Greek classics in the middle ages, which lit the flames of the Renaissance. A civ such as that could easily contend for an early or mid-game Wonder or Cultural victory.

I hope all that is of some help to you, and not just so much blather....

Regarding African Civs -

I'm certainly no expert on the area, but it seems to me that Africa had its big day in the sun (so to speak) first, before anyone else did. There you find the emergence of the very first humans, the first great civilization and Solomon's Mines. Then it goes to sleep about the time of the Roman emergence for the next 2000 years or so, is plundered and abused by both inner and outer forces, then emerges in the 21st century poised to be the next land of opportunity because of vast rare mineral deposits and emergent economies with significant comparative wage advantages. Imagine an event, an "African Renaissance", that occurs sometime in the next few decades: peace and responsible government break out across Africa, and its vast pool of young talent is unleashed in great green industries - solar megafarms in the Sahara, and biomass refining in the Congo. Meanwhile, cooperative and worker-owned mines in the south foster a new prosperity which leads to a secondary wave of investment in factories in the northeast of the continent, leading to a new burgeoning middle class and social mobility continent-wide, and at that point Africa will have traded its present troubles for our own problems of traffic jams and cellphone reception, but without the tremendous toxic pollution and economic disparity that could derail China, the corporate greed-lock that has gripped the east Asian rim and most western countries, the population pressures of India and China, resource depletion problems of South America, or problems caused by the likely future irrelevance of oil in the Middle East and Russia.

In other words, IMHO, Africa has two possible golden eras: the distant past, and the no-so-immediate future.

As far as Assyria and Minoa are concerned, cultural victory seems to be their strong point, again IMHO. But I would argue that Minoa should be Greek, and that Assyria and Babylon should be just one Civ called Babylonia:

Assyria, in its day (by way of its Chaldean-Babylonian astronomers) also developed the base-60 mathematics we use in geometry, mapping and clocks, and calculated the speed of the moon to within .06 seconds - a feat not equaled until computers came on the scene 3000 years later. Assyria was the birthplace of Abraham (Ur), and the Laws of Hammurabi. Trouble is, Assyria, Babylon, and Persia are practically synonyms in historical terms - each occupied much of the same land and each benefited primarily from their association with the amazing scholarship and imagination of the Wise Men (Magoi or Magi) of the city of Babylon. In Hellenic times, Babylonian scholarship gave the world eminent Stoic philosophers, and the discovery of the procession of the equinoxes; in the middle ages, our numbering system, including Zero, and Algebra, and Assassins came from that part of the world; scholars from there then re-introduced the west to the Greek classics in the middle ages, which lit the flames of the Renaissance. A civ such as that could easily contend for an early or mid-game Wonder or Cultural victory.

I hope all that is of some help to you, and not just so much blather....

Thanks for the comments. I guess that if I make Minoa a Greek civ, in terms of this mod, it would "sort them out," giving them a nice range of buildings/wonders etc they could build.

I'll have a think about the Assyrians...btw, were you able to sort out your issues with being able to play the mod?

04. Make the diplomacy text more relevent to each civilization.
In terms of the diplomacy wonder near the end of the game, I could do with a version for the Indian civs. I need to have a look at Blue Monkey's bazaar thread to ascertain exactly what.
Catching up on the forum saw this thread & Dl'd.

Isn't part of the problem Balthasar reported because the "icon_" lines are out of sequence?

It's been a while since the bazaar was updated. Things shifted to answering questions in other threads & I just haven't had the time to gather things back together. But if you don't find what you want we can do some brainstorming. Is there a good description of the other diplomacy victories posted?

Do you need any updates to the Indian civs' diplomacy text?

Is there a good description of the other diplomacy victories posted?
Not as yet, though as you've downloaded the game, the civilopedia contains full details of each one; find the "Diplomacy" tech at the end of era 3 to find the entries. Some of them are rather stretched timewise, as we have the Groans of the Britons (which happened a couple of hundred years later), the much earlier Treaty of Kadesh for Egypt and the koinon for the Greek civs (which is where city states amalgamated into leagues).

Do you need any updates to the Indian civs' diplomacy text?
I'll let you know...I've not imported any dip text from the original AD as yet and you've already contributed to that (if memory serves me correctly).

Not as yet, though as you've downloaded the game, the civilopedia contains full details of each one; find the "Diplomacy" tech at the end of era 3 to find the entries. Some of them are rather stretched timewise, as we have the Groans of the Britons (which happened a couple of hundred years later), the much earlier Treaty of Kadesh for Egypt and the koinon for the Greek civs (which is where city states amalgamated into leagues).
Will do. A couple of ideas already, but it'll be good to compare them to what you've got for the others.
I'll let you know...I've not imported any dip text from the original AD as yet and you've already contributed to that (if memory serves me correctly).
Yes. OTOH there's always room for improvement. I still see the debacle of my multiple misspellings in the city lists every time I play as one of the Indians.

Top Bottom