Habits that make your game(s) non-optimum

I join the alliance group with only like 3 members and the rest of the groups have 6+... I wipe out 3 within 100 turns to make my warmonger rating go up to: "We fear your warmongering will enter the world in a dark age!" dealing with the whole world hating me.

I have a few indulgences that often trip me up when I'm on autopilot or otherwise compromised:

1. I often can't resist Trapping and other non-luxury non-philosophy tile improvement techs, delaying my NC and setting me back.
2. I often can't resist the farmer's gambit & go too light on archers and mega late in building roads.
3. Sometimes I get addicted to farm improvement spam, even though I know I need to mix in mines to match citizen growth with worker pace to ensure cities work improved tiles, and my cities end up inefficient. Other times, I will spend early worker turns on mine spam for settler production, then build 1 settler too many because I want to work all the mines while workers prepare the other unimproved tiles. From there, it is easy to settle 1 city too many before NC (usually in settler vs. settler fighting with a neighbor over the best spot) & ruin my entire game by missing NC timing by a mile.
4. Sometimes I'll compound the problems of a bad slow start by bee-lining libraries & trying to skip granaries & it never works because granaries are essential.
5. Like an Alzheimer's patient, every time I build a couple horses for self-defense I do well, and remember how worthwhile they are. As the next game hits classical, I've defaulted to a self-defense force of pure archer again. Also strange, I never forget them if I'm building up a balanced army for attack.
6. I often forget 'war roads' (offensive and defensive roads that aren't for city connections) altogether even though one extra river bridge can be worth 3 units or an entire city, and often is.
7. Lategame, I tend to over-do settlement waves at renaissance and post-ideology. When I look at excess happiness, it always supports fewer cities than I think it does.
8. I tend to keep allies long after I should disband them and consume their empire out of a sense of kindness & fairness. In vanilla Civ5, my first immortal victory occurred when I realized that I needed to be more of a jerk to win. In my first try on japan/lakes/epic, Monty DoWed and then everyone piled on. I deflected monty's huge army and conquered him in the counterattack, then snowballed through siam, sully, france with more momentum and mass promotions. -44 happiness was the only reason the conquering had to stop for a time. The Iroquis had been my ally for millennia and now were right next door. I sent my army to the other hemisphere to the vanilla artillery vs. artillery dance with wu zutian, eventually breaking through enough cities to win by attrition, then quickly devoured the weaker germany behind her. Meanwhile, the iroquis got an era and a half lead and started making spaceship parts. Unable to win peacefully, I was forced into the matchup of his mech with my artillery and lost everything, excruciatingly slowly. After a think about the game, I loaded up a previous autosave; Had I just took my 4 time DOF, ally for millennia to the shed out back and gave him the old yeller before fighting china, I'd have all his wonders and wouldn't have any difficulty winning from that point. After loading the autosave, his empire melted like warm butter in the belly of japan and I easily went on to win.

This thread is by far the most fun one. The way people assume their mistakes is just hilarious, shows how much everybody knows deeply about the game and still insist in doing their own experiments.

As fair as I know, this mental masochism may characterize scientists' desires of stressing their experiences.

Do you guys feel like this too?

victory occurred when I realized that I needed to be more of a jerk to win.

That`s one of the things I don`t like - When the only game philosophy to win is be a jerk. Sometimes the game does force that on you. Although it`s possible to win not being a jerk, it`s just not very easy.

Probably why I lose a lot. Oh yea and I sometimes try to play in an anti-capitalist way (not making everything about money) and that always goes badly. People aren`t happy without their money.

But is that really the case or just the game Devs shoving their particular brand of views on us. They`re hardly going to make communism work right?

As fair as I know, this mental masochism may characterize scientists' desires of stressing their experiences.

Do you guys feel like this too?

No, not at all. What i'm feeling is that you sound as the Civ5 AI when it tries to insult me. And that's not a compliment. ;)

1. Wrong focus on cities
2. DoF with people who are hated, results in me being hated innit
3. Blowing money on all the RAs
4. Finishing Liberty tree before opening Aesthetics/Patronage/Piety
5. Waiting too much to build Caravans
6. Tendency to unintentionally overlook CS quests
7. Lousy scouting
8. Slow culture output in non-CV games
9. Bad unit movements results in getting trapped by barbs

Christ, it goes on and on :D

Spending a large portion of my money mid to late game on bribing City States especially those with Culture bonus. I feel a huge way of winning is opening all the branches of trees. The quickest way I know how to do that is bribing CS that will throw me 18-32 Culture per turn.

Also addicted to building all the World Wonders. I am at Prince for now but higher up I understand you really need to pick out one or two you really want or need.

Brew God

Spending a large portion of my money mid to late game on bribing City States especially those with Culture bonus. I feel a huge way of winning is opening all the branches of trees. The quickest way I know how to do that is bribing CS that will throw me 18-32 Culture per turn.

Also addicted to building all the World Wonders. I am at Prince for now but higher up I understand you really need to pick out one or two you really want or need.

Brew God

Generally speaking a good way to beat the higher difficulty levels is to go heavily into the Tradition and Rationalism social policy trees. You should also limit the number of wonders you build - at higher difficulties the AI will grab them long before you do, which means the turns you spent building them are wasted.

I basically only grab world wonders when I have Great Engineers to burn.

- Too lazy to sell stuff that I don't need (every game I say to myself, now I sell every freaking horse and iron I don't need but there they are, just laying in piles doing nothing)

- going tall instead of wide, even then when I really planned on expanding a lot and picked liberty

- keeping track of diplomatic relationships (and end up destroying friendships by becoming buddies with those my other buddies hated)

Settling new cities in sub-optimal, but cool-looking places.

Settling new, tiny cities between bigger, older ones, because there's too many useless, resourceless, but unworked tiles between them.

Going too wide too early.

Not building National College until Industrial Era, because of spending money in my 10+ cities on Workers and Harbours, but not Libraries.

Not picking Rationalism in ANY game for over a year.

-playing when I shouldn't be. Either I should be in bed or I am running late to something. I play awfully when I shouldn't be playing at all.

- constantly trying new things. Of course my game is not optimum--every game is either optimizing an old strategy or trying a new one.

- playing too low a difficulty.

- obsessing over barb hunting

Picking random civilization in random map type and size; trying weird playstyles that specific civilization were clearly not designed for, starting with piety or honor policy and completing them before any other; giving much value to some information that don't really matter; going only war or only science or only culture, and not a mix of all them; giving up on dowing distant civilizations; micromanagement only in the first 100 turns; stacking piles of strategic resources; small armies (the law of the minimum effort); no navy to cover trade ships; no navy at all; stoping micro exploration after turn 100; being too lazy to find new sources of happiness after turn 150; not planning much ahead; not harassing weak enemies.

Omg, the list goes on

I never try and build Wonders in single player until Medieval/Renaissance because I usually play on Emperor/Immortal. So in multiplayer games I end up not trying to get Wonders that I could have easily gotten with a good start, such as Great Library or Hanging Gardens. :(

Connecting my cities together with roads, even when I should be building mines, farms etc.

Trying to build every building in every city.

Not exploiting trade routes early enough.

Sometimes my city placement is sub-par.

Every city must have a maximum of 2 workable tiles (which means mountains aren't) that overlap.

Rushing Temple of Artemis every game.

Trying to found a Religion no matter what.

FARMSFARMSFARMSFARMSFARMSFARMSFARMS when going tall.

MINESMINESMINESMINESMINESMINESMINES when going wide.

- Too lazy to sell stuff that I don't need (every game I say to myself, now I sell every freaking horse and iron I don't need but there they are, just laying in piles doing nothing)

- going tall instead of wide, even then when I really planned on expanding a lot and picked liberty

- keeping track of diplomatic relationships (and end up destroying friendships by becoming buddies with those my other buddies hated)

tadaaaaa
thats meand my girl friend playing together!!

sell one or 2 freakin horses... then give up...
build 4 cities in 4 good spots and then go... well thats enough...
and definately ending up being friend with the wrong guy and then going... very well... sorry... wery well for our whole next waiting mode turn...

Top Bottom