[Vote] (6-42) Recon Unit Line Reworks

Approval Vote (select all options you'd be okay with)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoveCDog

Chieftain
DoveCDog's proposal (6-42)

Problem:
Currently upgraded scouts move faster through forest than through plains. This is frustrating and immersion breaking.

Current:
Trailblazer 1
+10% CS
Double movement through forest and jungle tiles

Trailblazer 2
+10% CS
Double movement through desert and snow tiles

Proposal:
Trailblazer 1
+10% CS
Double movement through plains, grassland, and hill tiles

Trailblazer 2
+10% CS
Double movement through desert, tundra, and snow tiles

Rationale:
The scout units have 2 sets of overlapping promotions - a) ignore movement cost and b) double movement through X tile. Because plain/grassland tiles are left out of the double movement promotions, the result is that scouts can move through 4 forest tiles vs 2 grassland tiles in 1 turn. With Scouting 3 this goes up to 6 forest vs 3 grassland tiles. By giving the same promotion to grassland tiles, the discrepancy will be gone.

An alternative would be to get rid of the double movement completely and have trailblazer give +1 MP. However, this would pose problems with crossing mountains and pillaging tiles costing less impact.

EDIT: As u/pineappledan pointed out, it is possible for a tile to be both plain and forest. Proposal has been edited to apply to only base tile types, not the features (ex forest, oasis, marsh) on top of them.

ma_ku's proposal (6-42a)
You can read pre-poll discussion about this proposal here

Proposal:
  • Keep "Ignore Terrain Costs"
    • This is a keystone ability of recon, and what differentiates them from other unit lines.
  • Scouting (along with Survivalism) becomes the second stem promotion line:
    • Scouting 1 (no prereq): +1 Sight, +10% CS outside of friendly territory.
    • Scouting 2 (req Scouting 1): +1 Movement.
    • Scouting 3 (req Scouting 2): +1 Sight, +10% CS outside of friendly territory.
  • Add Trailblazer 1-3 as leaf promotions, and renamed to highlight they are the same tier, not sequential:
    • Trailblazer 1 Trailblazer (req Scouting 3 or Survivalism 3): Double movement in forests and jungles. +10% CS outside of friendly territory.
    • Trailblazer 2 Wayfarer (req Scouting 3 or Survivalism 3): Double movement in deserts and snow. +10% CS outside of friendly territory. Ignore ZOC.
    • Trailblazer 3 Voyager (req Scouting 3 or Survivalism 3): Allows embarkation. Allows crossing mountains. Able to use enemy roads. +10% CS outside of friendly territory.
    • Allows Survivalism scouts to also pivot into having a favored terrain, but not necessarily all of them.
  • (Existing leaves:
    • Medic I: prereq changed from Trailblazer II to Scouting II.
    • Screening: prereq changed from Trailblazer II to Scouting II.
    • Frogman: prereq changed from Trailblazer II to Scouting II.)
  • Add "Ignore ZOC" to Scout and all descendants
    • Locking this behind Trailblazer II added unnecessary disparity between the promotion lines for recon units.
    • Being able to rely on this trait for balancing purposes is a net positive.
Rationale:
The current system works by balancing more sight against faster movement. It only does so after the first promotion, and neglects the fact that forests and jungles have hills, negating the XP reduction significantly by "catching up" all those tile reveals trivially. It also implies that you should always be revealing forests/jungles first if able, so that when you get to desert and snow you'll have picked up TB 2 and can cover twice the ground. If your initial area is heavily desert and plains, then by the time you pick up TB 2, that exploration phase is over, and you are finally able to make use of x2 in trees, while your second promotion does basically nothing.

Besides this point, there is also the matter of recon units owing much of their survivability to ignoring ZOC. Gating this behind one promotion line and denying it from the other should not be the case. There are certainly alternate ways to achieve this (you could add it to Survivalism 2, for instance, so that it's redundant on each path), but I chose the way that keeps an element of danger in the recon game until Classical. The current system removes danger as a concern for recon after the first or second promotion. There may be a case for moving the +1 Movement to Scouting 1, but I think the first step of equalizing the unit speed in early game terrains is worth the change in scouting meta.

This proposal retains the x2 movement for specialized terrains to keep the unit fun to play. By limiting the terrains to more expensive promotion levels (level 5+), each choice becomes more meaningful.

Note:
"Embarkation" without Fishing becomes a T4 promotion, instead of T3. This changes how accessible coastal islands will be to recon units, and puts more of a premium on the Fishing tech.

"Ignore ZOC" likewise shifts from being gated by XP to being gated by tech/upgrade ruins, coming online with Scouts at Sailing. Pathfinders should be expected to either use Survivalism to tank barbarians or Scouting to see and avoid them, since TBII will no longer be available to slip between them, and the movement disparity cannot be relied on as readily.

adan_eslavo's proposal (6-42b)

Proposal:
  1. Add new Canoe promotion for Scouting line (Pathfinder, Scout, etc.):
    1. allows unit to Embark everywhere; +1 Movement Point when Embarked; +10% Defensive CS when Embarked
    2. available after getting Trailblazer I or Survival I
    3. Embarkation ability is dropped from Trailblazer III; instead it will get additional +5% CS
  2. Move Frogman promotion from both current leaves to the new leaf and make it available after getting Canoe
  3. Frogman, as an end of line promotion will get additional bonus: +20% CS on Marshes
View attachment 674907

Rationale:
  • first I would like to say I don't like any of the reworks suggested before. They are much too complicated and move the scouting line in a wrong way;
  • scouting line is heavily dependent on top tree techs allowing embarkation on certain maps. If you play on Archipaelago or Tectonics with many islands, then you can quickly get stuck with your Pathifinder early on, just because you cannot pass water tiles and you don't want to get these techs because you are an inland civ for example (it's possible) or you want to focus on techs allowing you to improve Quarries which are in the bottom of the tech tree. It's sad you have to research top techs only for your Pathfinder or Scout. In my opinion scouting line should be self-sufficient;
  • change is pretty simple and does not interfere with current promotions, so you can still choose the stem you want to follow, but in the meantime decide to allow your scout to embark, and later if you want, even improve this ability without waiting for Trailblazer III or Survialism III promotions; both promotions (old and new one fit together thematically;
  • additional movement point and defense when embarked is a bonus that you get even when you have researched the tech allowing embarkation; additional defense can be useful when you are surrounded by barbarians in no man's land and want to evacuate;
  • Frogman as an end of line promotion needs a buff, and because it's a niche promotion focusing on water movement, with a @Phosphoraptor's idea we decided to add additional strength on Marshes;

Tekamthi's proposal (6-42c)

Rationale
Gameplay-wise, this proposal does only the following, nothing else:

Primary Effects
  • fixes the complaint that recon shouldn't be faster in forest than mounted are in open
  • maintains good mobility for recon in rough terrain (eg. 1 MP per forest plot vs 0.5 in status quo vs 2 for all other units)
  • maintains early mobility balance for pathfinder exploration
Secondary Effects
  • eliminates choice required to obtain all-important ZoC bonus
  • adds option to cross ice with recon 1-tech tier before explorer becomes available
  • fills-in scouting promo branch with naval-equivalents to existing land-based bonuses

Proposed Implementation:

New Promotions:
Ignore ZoC​
  • replaces 'ignore terrain cost' on all recon
  • ignores Zone of Control
  • no other features (ignore terrain recently began adding a combat bonus? is this necessary?)
Pathfinding​
  • free to all pathfinder-equivalent units, not available to any others
  • temporary, 20 turn duration
  • double movement in all rough terrain (ie hills & forest/jungle), snow, desert, marsh
  • can cross rivers without penalty (movement & attack)
Arctician​
  • requires Physics tech
  • requires TB3 or SV3 promos
  • can cross ice
  • +15% combat strength in snow
Adjusted Promotions:
Trailblazer 1​
  • add double move in Marsh
Trailblazer 2​
  • remove 'Ignore ZoC'
  • add double heal in oasis
Trailblazer 3​
  • add double move in hills
Scouting 1​
  • add +1 embark vision
  • add +5% embark defense
Scouting 2​
  • add +1 embark vision
  • add +10% embark defense
Scouting 3​
  • add +1 naval move
  • add +15% embark defense
Embarked Vision Bugfix:
I reported this on github a while ago, here. It will need to be fixed for this proposal to work correctly (embark vision specifically; but there's no downside to fixing it):​
  • In brief, all units that embark currently have '0' embark vision, but the dll/engine doesn't allow 0 to display as 0 in game, so every units gets 1 embark vision effect regardless of their actual assigned integer value. In other words, a unit w/ a defined value of 1 embark vision behaves just as unit w/ 0 value embark vision. So, given that everything has 0 vision, and 0 = 1 vision-effect-wise, to give extra embark vision effect in-game, the bonus promo has to give +2 integer value embark vision -- and if you stack two of these suddenly you're getting extra embark vision that was not intended.
  • Solution: change all the embarkation-granting promos to give 1 embark vision (they currently give 0), and all promos granting extra/bonus embark vision, to also give 1 embark vision (they currently give 2) -- the embark bonus vision promos will stack correctly this way. I think i've caught them all in the attachment but may have overlooked some cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your proposal gives double move to plains, but doesn’t say anything about grassland.

Double move in plains/grassland would apply to grassland tiles that have forest on them. So on TB I scouts would be able to move 4 times in all land tiles. I’m not sure what giving an additional double movement in forest/jungle would do. Maybe it would make each move in plains forest cost 0.25..

At any rate, I don’t think OP realized that jungle and forest are features while plains etc are terrains, and that they both exist at the same time on a single tile

I’m not sure what giving an additional double movement in forest/jungle would do
doesn't stack... ie double moves is a boolean, once something turns it on for a tile, its on -- can't be turned on more. These doubled-up double-move situations occur often in a few of my recon modmod bandaids, so unless something's changed very recently, can confirm this 100%

On topic of broader OP proposal, I have some ideas of course about recon movement, but I feel some of us have collectively discussed this extensively rather recently and I don't really have anything to add on the topic at this time. For now I'll just link that discussion: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...n-units-to-give-them-unique-abilities.685203/

Overall I think recon need bigger changes than what's proposed, though it may fit well into a broader set of adjustments.

Last edited:
Your proposal gives double move to plains, but doesn’t say anything about grassland.

Double move in plains/grassland would apply to grassland tiles that have forest on them. So on TB I scouts would be able to move 4 times in all land tiles. I’m not sure what giving an additional double movement in forest/jungle would do. Maybe it would make each move in plains forest cost 0.25..

At any rate, I don’t think OP realized that jungle and forest are features while plains etc are terrains, and that they both exist at the same time on a single tile
Thanks, edited again. Hopefully this is the final time 🤞

Only thing I'm not happy with is that players who spawn in tundra or desert are penalized compared to players who spawn on plains and grassland. I still prefer it to the flat +1 MP, though.

Proposal has been edited to apply to only base tile types, not the features (ex forest, oasis, marsh) on top of them.
This shouldn't be necessary, double move bonuses don't stack. If you want to double check my claim, load up my recon terrain specialization or recon pays terrain cost mods, there are overlapping doubles there to test out.

As proposal sits now recon will be as fast or faster than mounted in the same terrain where mounted is fast. I am not a fan of this dynamic.

This shouldn't be necessary, double move bonuses don't stack. If you want to double check my claim, load up my recon terrain specialization or recon pays terrain cost mods, there are overlapping doubles there to test out.

As proposal sits now recon will be as fast or faster than mounted in the same terrain where mounted is fast. I am not a fan of this dynamic.
I believe you, but my concern is it would be counter-productive to give double movement to grassland and then again double movement to forest as it wouldn't give any benefit. The promotion wouldn't be very good. By applying only to the base tile type is the simplest I believe.

About time this was addressed. Just a few thoughts.

This has some implications for the scout line in combat. I am not the person do to the analysis, but I think it should be considered.

Is 4 movement across all land too much? I'd perhaps consider something like:

Proposal:
Trailblazer 1
+5% CS
+1 movement through plains, grassland, desert, floodplains, and tundra without hills or features

Trailblazer 2
+5% CS
+1 movement through plains, grassland, desert, floodplains, and tundra without hills or features
+1 movement through plans, grassland, desert, tundra with hills or features, and through snow

The net being, with both promotions, the scout line moves 4 tiles on terrain without hills or features, and 3 on tiles with hills or features, or snow. This isn't a super thought out proposal, just another way of thinking of it that could be fleshed out. Rivers could matter too?

What does +1 movement through <terrain> even mean? Gain 1 move point every <terrain> the unit passes through? That'll make most tiles free movement.

With the OP giving double movement on basically every tile, it just transforms the unit into a 4-move one (and 6-move at Explorer) that can cross river for free. Nothing special like it's now.

About time this was addressed. Just a few thoughts.

This has some implications for the scout line in combat. I am not the person do to the analysis, but I think it should be considered.

Is 4 movement across all land too much? I'd perhaps consider something like:

Proposal:
Trailblazer 1
+5% CS

Trailblazer 2
+5% CS
+1 movement through plans, grassland, desert, tundra with hills or features, and through snow

The net being, with both promotions, the scout line moves 4 tiles on terrain without hills or features, and 3 on tiles with hills or features, or snow. This isn't a super thought out proposal, just another way of thinking of it that could be fleshed out. Rivers could matter too?
It's just too much. I liked first version filling the gaps. This is what we should try first.
I wonder if we need Hills on Trailblazer 1 though.

I liked first version filling the gaps.
It's not filling the gaps. It's filling the whole pool. Trailblazer 1 + 2 effectively doubles movement on everything (except mountains).

Then what about adding very late promotion like Trailblazer IV or something that would pick up Tundra and Grassland? If someone wants to make the unit move faster on all kind of tiles then feel free to do it?
This would allow leaving early one like thery are now.

What does +1 movement through <terrain> even mean? Gain 1 move point every <terrain> the unit passes through? That'll make most tiles free movement.

With the OP giving double movement on basically every tile, it just transforms the unit into a 4-move one (and 6-move at Explorer) that can cross river for free. Nothing special like it's now.
Yeah the mechanics behind how it works are a little greek to me. I just mean they would move 3 tiles instead of two, and then 4 tiles (as they do now) instead of 3 once they have the second promotion. Should that be written as 150% movement instead of +1?

from another congress thread about unit movement:

movement cost is just a single value per terrain/feature. Then it can be modified via other tables and promotion attributes. For example, via tables/promos you can give a unit half-cost moves in a specific terrain or feature, or you can make a tile cost 1-extra move. I *think* you can also have the movement cost doubled, though last time I tried this it wasn't working consistently from what I can remember. Beyond these, there's a promo attribute to end all movement when the unit enters rough terrain. I think that's it for existing functionality for movement.

Thats not the complete blueprint of all existing movement-related mechanisms, but that's the gist of it. A 1-cost plot can be converted to cost either 0.5, 1.5, or 2 MP. Elsewhere there are some bonuses to movement if a unit starts turn in a particular plot.

Beyond these existing rules we'd need some kind .dll rework, but past feedback from our dev team suggests this is very onerous and complex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom