Science Victory significantly longer?

Evie94

Warlord
just played my first Science game, as the Shoshone, and it seems like it takes so much longer than in GNK. Its a similar situation with the other VCs but much more pronounced with Science. anyone else experiencing this? not that im complaining......

also, in the same game, the WC wasn't founded until 1892, until the Indonesians sent a missionary into a Greek City right beside my ally of Kryzyl...anybody ever had it founded later?

I'm of the opposite opinion. Culture takes longer because you really need to build Hotels, Airports, and research the Internet to crank out the Tourism needed for the win. Even then, you may have to conquer one or two AI rivals who have too high culture accumulated.

Science on the other hand can be gotten by bulbing a bunch of techs with GS just after finishing Plastics and buying Research Labs. This is even easier if you went Piety before Rationalism because with the a combination of cheaper buildings purchased with :c5faith: and the reformation belief to buy science buildings with :c5faith: you can instantly buy 4 or more Research Labs for your core cities and start running the additional scientists to max out your :c5science: for 10 turns. With the surplus :c5faith: from Piety, you should still have enough to buy about 4 GS which should bulb you to Satellites or further 10 turns after Plastics. Then you have your top two cities build Apollo and Hubble in parallel and have the two free GS from Hubble bulb your remaining techs needed for the win.

With the new Ideology tenets, you can rush SS components with either GE or :c5gold: instead of having to hard build them like was required in G&K.

I had to purposely delay my end game to build the ISS project for the achievement. Science is one of the fastest victories IMHO. The early game is a bit slower than G&K, but that is true for all victory conditions.

Long time lurker first time poster :thumbsup:

My first few BNW games I fell into the 5% science increase per city trap and my turns per tech in the modern era went off a cliff as I used to play a wider strategy with low pop cities. Since I've revised that to play a tall strategy with targetting the tradition tree plus Temple of Artemis and picking the growth bonuses in the religion I achieved my fastest science win ever with a 4 city empire

Science in general is a bit slower. The 5% tech cost increase per city just means you need more output to reach the same tech as in GnK. Going ICS is now seriously nerfed as you need at least a few tall core cities to tech fast. Lots of puppets/smaller cities don't really matter per se as long as they're not underdevelopped (libraries/universities asap), but they won't add much either.

Also see: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=503273

I'm of the opposite opinion. Culture takes longer because you really need to build Hotels, Airports, and research the Internet to crank out the Tourism needed for the win. Even then, you may have to conquer one or two AI rivals who have too high culture accumulated.

Science on the other hand can be gotten by bulbing a bunch of techs with GS just after finishing Plastics and buying Research Labs. This is even easier if you went Piety before Rationalism because with the a combination of cheaper buildings purchased with :c5faith: and the reformation belief to buy science buildings with :c5faith: you can instantly buy 4 or more Research Labs for your core cities and start running the additional scientists to max out your :c5science: for 10 turns. With the surplus :c5faith: from Piety, you should still have enough to buy about 4 GS which should bulb you to Satellites or further 10 turns after Plastics. Then you have your top two cities build Apollo and Hubble in parallel and have the two free GS from Hubble bulb your remaining techs needed for the win.

With the new Ideology tenets, you can rush SS components with either GE or :c5gold: instead of having to hard build them like was required in G&K.

I had to purposely delay my end game to build the ISS project for the achievement. Science is one of the fastest victories IMHO. The early game is a bit slower than G&K, but that is true for all victory conditions.

i managed to win a Culture game before Hotels....went Tourism crazy with Byzantium and the Sacred Sites reformation, packing on the Padogas, Mosques and Monasteries......on King difficulty i should add

Science in general is a bit slower. The 5% tech cost increase per city just means you need more output to reach the same tech as in GnK. Going ICS is now seriously nerfed as you need at least a few tall core cities to tech fast. Lots of puppets/smaller cities don't really matter per se as long as they're not underdevelopped (libraries/universities asap), but they won't add much either.

Also see: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=503273
I think part of this is due to the lack of early :c5gold: and the inability to extort the AI with lump sum trades in the early game. Many strategies were built around purchasing key infrastructure (like Libraries and Universities) to get an early tech lead. These strategies do not work as well with the changes made to BNW.

The game plays a bit slower, but it is a welcome change IMHO.
i managed to win a Culture game before Hotels....went Tourism crazy with Byzantium and the Sacred Sites reformation, packing on the Padogas, Mosques and Monasteries......on King difficulty i should add
Maybe I'll give that a try.

I think part of this is due to the lack of early :c5gold: and the inability to extort the AI with lump sum trades in the early game. Many strategies were built around purchasing key infrastructure (like Libraries and Universities) to get an early tech lead. These strategies do not work as well with the changes made to BNW.

The game plays a bit slower, but it is a welcome change IMHO.
Maybe I'll give that a try.

starting with Uluru and Mt.Kailash within 30 tiles was....helpful to say the least

starting with Uluru and Mt.Kailash within 30 tiles was....helpful to say the least
Playing with Spain and starting near the GBR can also spell a sure win, but you can't count on that strategy for every game (unless you regenerate the map a lot) ;)

I'd still like to give your wonder spam and tourism reformation belief a try though. Interesting idea.

Top Bottom