Can't edit text files

milo v3

Chieftain
For some reason whenever I try and edit the text files like Civilopedia it simply says access denied when I try to save, making it impossible for me to add anything to the game. Any idea why this is happening?

civilopedia and pediaicons are just .txt files, if you can't figure out what's wrong, have you tried cut'n'paste the entire thing into a new txt file?

I already did that. I mean... It's obvious.
ok, something less obvious: CIV3 allways kicks the write protection for many files back in every time you have run the game.

Otherwise I am clueless. :confused:

Might it be an issue of your Windows version? IIRC user account control was an issue for Vista. If there is a compatibility files option for the folder the edited versions might be there...

Copy the file, make mods to the copy, delete or move the original, rename the copy back to the original name.

Windows doesn't want original files modified; hence, virtual store and the like. The above is a way to avoid virtual store. You should find your previously modded files in virtual store, it is a hidden folder, you will have to changed your folder options to find the virtual store folder.

Windows is trying to save the user from themselves, they think most users are idiots, they say it is a security thing, it just makes intelligent people angry.

Top Bottom