Does anyone do other era starts?

In another thread it was mentioned that the game needs civs with a late UU to make late era starts more interesting. Which once again caused a brief flare up in my usually dormant brain; "later era starts?"

Don't get me wrong, I do know there is such a thing. But I honestly have never done it. Not once. Ever. Am I missing out? If I take it into my head to try this is there anything I should know to make it more fun?

For many people the Ancient Era is the most fun.

All of a sudden I'm wondering if the ancient era is the most fun just because it is the start and the AI hasn't screwed up too badly yet so it is still competitive. I'm thinking I might have to try one of these other era starts just to see what happens.

From what I read, classic starts are the strongest there is for human. Iirc those start about 2000 BC, but every city has a Granary and one has AH + BW, so can see which start has Horses / Bronze. The techs from huts also greatly benefit the human, because instead of AH or Agri, one can find Maths + HBR.

Its been awhile since I tried vanilla late starts, but iirc the settler cost is just insanse on later starts due to scaling on size of city and start buildings. It can be adjusted in Global Defines though, but imho not optimal.

I usually prefer Ancient era starts, but later era starts can be fun and a change of pace. Often require different strategies. As you advance up the late eras, the game does become easier even on the higher levels, if you know what you are doing. The Ai seems not to adjust to late eras as well.

Anyway, the HOF Challenge usually provides at least one late era start game. I recommend that you try it out.

I play them from time to time, but almost always with Imperalistic leaders because of those insane settler costs.

I've played renaissance starts, it's late enough to really shake things up but it's early enough for commerce/tech to still be important.

I also played marathon and the settler costs weren't particularly bad. You need *something* to choke early growth, otherwise the game would struggle to be playable.

How much does settlers cost on advanced starts?
I assume you mean "late era starts" since advanced starts don't change the cost of settlers afaik.

Settlers cost more than they normally would, but since you start off with buildings/tech you'll still be able to produce them far quicker than you would in a normal start.

I usually prefer Ancient era starts, but later era starts can be fun and a change of pace. Often require different strategies. As you advance up the late eras, the game does become easier even on the higher levels, if you know what you are doing. The Ai seems not to adjust to late eras as well.

Anyway, the HOF Challenge usually provides at least one late era start game. I recommend that you try it out.

I'm currently playing a medieval start. AIs are a joke, when I libbed Astronomy, none of the AIs even had Education, and I was constantly out-expanding the AIs with slow-building the more expensive Settlers.

I did try one once... a future tech start...

All of the sudden, it isnt copper or iron you care about, but aluminum.

Turned into a rather boring game... Get aluminum hooked up, fight one war, launch spaceship... ghey.

Starting from scratch is the only way to do it tbh. And i've even since, turned off all tech trading to drag it out even longer.

Yeah, I have tried to play advanced era starts and it just doesn't give the same magic. Guiding my civilization from 4000 BC to the future era gives me a sense of history within my own game that I think is really enjoyable.

Lol.

What did they do with Settler costs?

Medieval was still ok, but now I'm playing Renaissance, and Settlers are 5pop-whips with IMP and on Marathon!!!!

Lol.

Medieval was still ok, but now I'm playing Renaissance, and Settlers are 5pop-whips with IMP and on Marathon!!!!

Hey, when your people wear skins and live in hide tents it doesn't take much to equip a bunch of them to go live in some wilderness...by the renaissance they are probably demanding a portable Gothic cathedral that they can take with them.

Try Modern. Those same potential settlers will tell you "Wilderness? We aren't going anywhere that doesn't have freeways, and we need a McDonald's we can carry with us."

Hey, when your people wear skins and live in hide tents it doesn't take much to equip a bunch of them to go live in some wilderness...by the renaissance they are probably demanding a portable Gothic cathedral that they can take with them.

Try Modern. Those same potential settlers will tell you "Wilderness? We aren't going anywhere that doesn't have freeways, and we need a McDonald's we can carry with us."

Very good explanation, ty :) .

On that note, Imperialistic is ridiculously overpowered in modern era starts.

Lol.

I don't think marathon affects anything there. Workers and settlers are not reduced cost, unlike military units, on marathon.

I don't think marathon affects anything there. Workers and settlers are not reduced cost, unlike military units, on marathon.

I got confused a little because I took Epic-Settler-costs for normal-Settlers. Been playing too many different speeds lately so I didn't remember clearly.

Thx :)

On that note, Imperialistic is ridiculously overpowered in modern era starts.

I started a new game with Shaka so non-IMP, and Settlers, if I saw that correctly cost 50 :hammers: less than with IMP, so they already did something to make IMP not be completely overpowered.

It's still quite OP though.

Top Bottom