[Tool] AND offline updater

A question for those who use the offline patcher:
If we make an automatic generation of patches files on a server and we keep that patches 30 days (which should cover the next full build), would it be ok ?
The plan is to script the generation of a patch at each revision, then you download it (for example, "and_from_899_to_900.patch" and apply it through the launcher "Menu > Apply offline update".

It would be simplier (no external tool than launcher) and automatic.

If we make an automatic generation of patches files on a server and we keep that patches 30 days (which should cover the next full build), would it be ok ?
The plan is to script the generation of a patch at each revision, then you download it (for example, "and_from_899_to_900.patch" and apply it through the launcher "Menu > Apply offline update".

It sounds good, dbkblk.Thanks for your response.:clap:

I am a bit confused at the current state of things.

The offline launcher is a copy of the complete game for a specific revision, right?
There is also an online launcher which uses rsync to download the latest version of the mod, right?

Do we need both an online and offline launcher?

Generating patch files for each revision seems redundant if rsync works, why not use rsync instead?

I haven't been following the launcher as closely as I should have, but if it's getting so complicated to maintain, maybe a redesign and rethink is needed.

I haven't been following the launcher as closely as I should have, but if it's getting so complicated to maintain, maybe a redesign and rethink is needed.
No, that is not so complicated. The launcher is used to update the game. It works flawlessly, but it needs internet (rsync inside).

Some players don't have internet on their PC, so i've developped a small tool to update offline but this is not a launcher. Just a tool to download a patch (with svn) and apply it on a local setup. It is not really efficient at the moment.

The idea is to publish monthly builds on sourceforge, as everyone can quickly get the latest version but generate patchs for those who are offline (otherwise, they would need to wait 1 month to update).

No, that is not so complicated. The launcher is used to update the game. It works flawlessly, but it needs internet (rsync inside).

Some players don't have internet on their PC, so i've developped a small tool to update offline but this is not a launcher. Just a tool to download a patch (with svn) and apply it on a local setup. It is not really efficient at the moment.

The idea is to publish monthly builds on sourceforge, as everyone can quickly get the latest version but generate patchs for those who are offline (otherwise, they would need to wait 1 month to update).

Ah, I see.

I have no idea how many other players are like me, not having Internet connection on their game pc, but I guess veeery few, so I don't think it is necessary to waste your time on it any further.

Ok. That may be wiser indeed.

Ok. That may be wiser indeed.

I think a good compromise would be to set up a cron job to create a 7z archive of the latest revision each night and simply provide that as an offline option.

Offline users can just re-download. Or grab the online installer.

Indeed, that's an easy solution!

Version 1.0 out, fix the revision update problem. Compiled using MinGW to avoid the need to install MSVC to use the tool.

Well, as an exercise to improve my autohotkey skills, I've rewritten the offline updater from scratch. I wish I had learn this language earlier, it would avoided me to lost a lot of time.

The version 2.0 is available here:
Download Link

I've downloaded the new version but when I launch the application it doesn't respond.

Do you both have a 64-bit version of Windows ?

Does it work if ran as admin?

Top Bottom