General A New Dawn discussion

I never use Always Peace in AND. I've used it a few times for culture-games in standard BTS though. Always War I play with every now and then, and the only time I used Permanent War/Peace is when I want a "True World War" by setting every nation to be at war with every other nation at the game's start and no one can make peace :devil:

It's some good fun really, though the AI tends to get overwhelmed pretty quick since they don't really seem to handle wars from all sides very well, but the few AI who do survive the early warring usually come out as large powers.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14290639 said:
About options that we could hide: does anyone use Always War or Always Peace? While I think I can understand Always War, I definitely don't understand Always Peace. Should we remove both of them or at least Always Peace? Same for Permanent War or Peace. I think all those options are good for scenarios, that's why I would simply leave them default off and hidden, but I don't think they're being used in a normal game. What do you think?

I can't imagine playing such a strategy game without wars!

This was amusing.

So Korea declares war on the Toltec, marches over and razes all their cities including the Hindu holy city (Formerly Aztec, before I conquered it and gifted it to the Toltec because why not.) and then shortly after - like, a few turns after - Korea declares war on the Spanish and takes two of their cities. A dozen or so turns later, he also declares war on ME and sends a stack to one of my rebelling Incan cities and razes it easily. He had bombards while I only just got Trebuchets, so it wasn't surprising.

Well, I took some of my on hold units in my core cities and sent them down and captured his recently taken and lightly defended Spanish city and gifted it back to Franco. On the next turn he makes peace with Wang Kong... And apparently, gave the city I just took to him to secure said treaty. My units were still inside it so I moved one of my riders out, and then right back in, retaking on the same turn he gave it to Korea - and getting some research bonus in the process on top of the boost to Gunpowder I got for taking the city on the previous turn :crazyeye:

I ended up giving the former Incan capital to the Akkad since it was already dangerously unstable, and with a huge Korean army only tiles away from it, I didn't want to take another nationwide hit to revolution stability for losing a city. Neither of the two Incan cities were all that important to me so it wasn't a huge loss.

Oh, and the Finnish declared war on me while all this was going on - Smart move really since I was distracted.... Or rather, it would have been a smart move if my armies didn't highly outnumber his and still had a fairly secure border :lol:
Well I was planning on (re)taking his cities later on anyway so he just sped up that process AND kept me from taking a diplomacy hit from people who liked him. He also built the Sistine Chapel which I really wanted, and now IT SHALL BE RIGHTFULLY MINE.

Alright, I loved what just went down here.
Assyria declared war on the Akkad. This means he's declared on each and every one of his neighbors thus far - including me - and is once again going at it with someone. Both nations are stronger than me just slightly, and after a little warring they both fell from around 0.8 to 1.2

Well, an AP resolution comes up and one of them is to declare war on the Akkad. Since my Assyrian friends are already at war with them I figure they'll vote yes, so I select that. Fredrick also pipes in and the war is on. And oh man did it throw one heck of a wrench into the continental diplomatic situation.

The Akkad now found themselves at war with five different nations, one of which used to be mutually Friendly with them. Japan had a SINGLE city with Hellenism in it, an Indian city he captured and refuses to let go of despite the constant rebellions there (And it's a tundra-and-ice city with literally no resources or World Wonders....) so he got pulled into the voting as well.

The chaos started quick and fast, with Japan immediately taking one of her cities, then Assyria and the Dutch taking another shortly after. I took back one of my border cities that revolted via culture to her, and she overall was just being hammered into the ground. She popped a Great Diplomat and used that to make peace with me and kicked my stack of 78 units out of her borders when it was a turn away from one of her cities, and gradually began making peace with everyone else.... But not before the Dutch took and razed one more city of hers.

I laughed quite hard when I discovered that it was her Holy City that the Dutch razed.

Akkad founded Zoroastrianism. It held a 17% coverage rate, while Hellenism (mine) was around 14% and Naghualism (Which the Dutch were following) was at 16%. Instead of keeping the city, the Dutch chose to just wipe it off the map and remove one of the competing religions from the Mastery race. As a result, the Akkad lost their 2nd Place position in the Mastery board, which was given to the German and founders of Naghualism.

Quite a lot of excitement in such a short period of time :hammer:

Hello :) I have been playing a Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn game for many months now, with a much older version. It kept crashing so I had to reload quite often. One day it crashed constantly on the next turn after the savegame so I installed this new version and now the crashing has stopped, also for the savegame. Everything seems to work as it should, except research which is extremely expensive and it now takes 3000 turns to research a single turn, with each tech costing from 6.000.000 to 14.000.000 research points (in industrial to future eras).

Is there someway to modify the savegame files to lower research costs?

EDIT: found a so and so solution by changing the TECH_COST_MODIFIER from 0 to -95 in the TechDiffusion_GlobalDefines.xml file reducing tech costs by 95% thus putting it a normal level. Unfortunately the TECH_COST_MODIFIER will have to stay at -95 or else if changed back to 0 the tech cost will climb right back up to those extreme levels. Meaning new Rof AND games I start will also be affected and result in extremely cheap tech. I wish there was a way to only affect the particular game I am playing?

I think the only way to fix that is to start a new game, because too much has changed since the old versions. That's probably why you were seeing those absurd tech costs.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14294502 said:
Or, you can try a recalc, ctrl shift t or disable realistic timescale under BUG options, A New Dawn tab, bottom of the last column.

Right, I forgot about Realistic Timescale and the ReCalculation thing :crazyeye:

Alright, I need some help explaining this.

For a long while now, I've had terrible luck when it came to overly aggressive AI, and not just in the sense of being surrounded by people Annoyed or Furious with me picking fights... But having Pleased and Friendly AI throwing stones at me.

So, I went into the LeaderHeadInfos XML file to look up Ashurbinapal who's declared war on me twice now (once at Pleased, then a second time just now at Friendly) to see if I could find anything. What I found, doesn't make any sense.

It says that his "No-War Probability" ratings for the attitudes are as thus:
Spoiler :
<NoWarAttitudeProb>
<AttitudeType>ATTITUDE_FRIENDLY</AttitudeType>
<iNoWarProb>100</iNoWarProb>
</NoWarAttitudeProb>

Annoyed - 20%
Cautious - 70%
Pleased - 100%
Friendly - 100%

With 0 being the lowest and 100 being the max, as far as I can tell. If this file is right, he shouldn't be declaring war at Pleased and Friendly. Unless there's another file that's overriding these values or causing them to be ignored, then I'm at a loss here.

It's this sort of behavior though, that I'd expect from the Ruthless AI option and to a lesser extent, Aggressive AI option, but not in the default game. I would really like to know that if I get a leader to Friendly, I can count on him/her being just that: Friendly. If reaching that stage needs to be made more difficult to achieve and harder to maintain, that's fine - but I would really like to be able to actually make and keep at least one friend.

I'm not sure how the mechanics work because I've never touched that part of the code but it's always amusing to me how you always end up at war with everyone. I very seldom get attacked by other civs. Most of my games I have to face no more than 2-3 big wars. I suppose it depends on gamespeed, because I mostly play for testing purposes and I do it on blitz. Which gamespeed do you usually play with?

45°38'N-13°47'E;14295879 said:
I'm not sure how the mechanics work because I've never touched that part of the code but it's always amusing to me how you always end up at war with everyone. I very seldom get attacked by other civs. Most of my games I have to face no more than 2-3 big wars. I suppose it depends on gamespeed, because I mostly play for testing purposes and I do it on blitz. Which gamespeed do you usually play with?

Traditionally I play on Epic gamespeed. It started back in BTS where I really liked the Classic era and felt it went by far too quickly for my tastes, so I stopped playing on Normal and only ever played on Epic. AND the eras last quite a bit longer, but I still preferred Epic.

I do like me some warring, but whyyyy do the Friendly AI do that to meeee :cry:
Maybe I have some bullseye magnet painted on my nation or something when I start a game. Might explain why he went after me instead of his Worst Enemy next door, who at the time was significantly weaker than him - but I guess he wanted to lose some cities and units, since I was just researching to rifling (Already have muskets and cannons) and he didnt even have matchlock :mischief:
Civ4ScreenShot0531.JPG
As expected, the war didn't go in his favor. To his credit he did switch into some War Weariness reducing civics two turns later, but that's also when I decided to end the war, oops. I guess those will serve him better with his war with Spain, since he saw the weakened Assyria and declared on him shortly after it ended.

It's both amusing and confusing really, amusing that everyone seems to want to war with me at least once, confusing because even the "peaceful" AI's and at Friendly want to go at it at least once :lol::cry:

All this literally went down mere turns after I made peace with Assyria. This has been a volatile century!

1616AD - Hirohito declared war on me (While he's still at war with the Akkadian)
Richelieu gets pulled into it as well since we had a defensive pact, but I don't foresee him being of any help as he's on another continent.
Meanwhile, Spain is still at war with Assyria. Hirohito disliked me considerably and is a world power - and equal with me - so I kinda saw this declaration coming eventually.

1620AD - Assyria makes peace with Spain, so I toss Assyria two military techs (Cavalry Tactics and Naval Cannons) to declare on Japan. He says its highway robbery but agrees. This has to be a first for me, going to 1600AD without bribing an AI into a war :lol:
On the same turn, Korea declared war on Arabia. I had nothing to do with this one.

1626AD - I marched some of my troops over to one of my former border cities that has been occupied by, in order, the Akkad, the Korean, the Akkad again, Spain, then Akkad once more, and currently Japan. However, Assyria captured it first using the troops I gifted him earlier to defend against Franco's superior units, and then razed it. With the units I gifted him earlier :crazyeye:
The Akkad were the ones angered by this razing since they occupied it the longest, but I wonder what the army I gave Assyria is thinking about it, since that used to belong to their country :lol:

1628AD - Been some pretty violent years here. Spain finally declares war on me, again, and marches his scary looking Muskets, bombards, and elephant bombardiers at my cities... Filled to the brim with riflemen and cannons. He was annoyed with me and saw I was at war with Japan, so I kinda expected this one to happen. I'm not exactly concerned though, his units aren't very well promoted and I have not only greater numbers, but greater tech.

Rezca you should think of writing up one (or more!) of your games for the Stories&Tales subforum, they're perfect material for a story!

Rezca you should think of writing up one (or more!) of your games for the Stories&Tales subforum, they're perfect material for a story!

It's something I've often considered doing....
Making a little story (Fancy or not) out of the various little things that go down like barbarian attacks or border skirmishes with other nations... Always kind of appealed to me. Made reading the stories of others quite fun.

However I always keep putting trying it off for one reason or another, and Alt-Tabbing out of the game constantly to write stuff down... Maybe one of the auto-log options might make things a touch easier on that note. I already take absurd amounts of screenshots at every opportunity so whatever the log doesn't catch the screenshots might :lol:
Doesn't help with the needing to stop to type every now and then, and my nnly other laptop finally died a week ago :(

Still, it's something I do want to give a try at some point! It probably wouldn't be as engaging and colorful as yours though xD

It's something I've often considered doing....
Making a little story (Fancy or not) out of the various little things that go down like barbarian attacks or border skirmishes with other nations... Always kind of appealed to me. Made reading the stories of others quite fun.

However I always keep putting trying it off for one reason or another, and Alt-Tabbing out of the game constantly to write stuff down... Maybe one of the auto-log options might make things a touch easier on that note. I already take absurd amounts of screenshots at every opportunity so whatever the log doesn't catch the screenshots might :lol:
Doesn't help with the needing to stop to type every now and then, and my nnly other laptop finally died a week ago :(

Still, it's something I do want to give a try at some point! It probably wouldn't be as engaging and colorful as yours though xD

Alttabing would kill my system... no, I just take way too many screenshots as well, and when needed write a note or two on paper.
The most difficult thing is learning to break your play sessions in smaller chunks, with practice you'll understand how much is enough for a new post/update (or when a decision is required of your readers, if it's interactive).
Then write that up, and go back to play only after posting.
One More Turn is a terrible thing to fight against, but writing up an already finished game is way more difficult (at least for me), than only a few turns, still thinking about what will happen next.

Hello, is anybody know which file I need to edit if I want to use advanced nuke? I read that this option is hidden by default, but I can't find a way to change this.

Hello, is anybody know which file I need to edit if I want to use advanced nuke? I read that this option is hidden by default, but I can't find a way to change this.
Most advanced nukes are already in the game. The only weapons not included are YAM, kind of a nuke which changes a city ownership, and Fusion Nova / Tactical Fusi which are like nukes but they leave some empty squares where they hit (well, not really empty, target tile becomes water). They have been cut because AI doesn't know how to use them. Anyway IIRC relevant files are anewdawnGlobalDefines and UnitInfo XML, if you know what you're doing.

Top Bottom