A Pro-Soviet Israel - A Pro-British Egypt

Anti-semitism does not preclude support for Zionism or Israel. Case in point: Richard Nixon.

Nixon was not an anti-Semite in any meaningful sense of the word. Just an incredible dick.

I think you can make the case that he was an anti-Semite in the sense that he had a profound and irrational antipathy towards Jews.

Which is, if anything, the primary sense of the term.

From what I've heard about his interactions with Jews like Kissinger and Alan Greenspan, he apparently behaved that way towards everybody. From The Age of Turbulence: "[Nixon] wasn't exclusively anti-Semitic. He was anti-Semitic, anti-Italian, anti-Greek, anti-Slovak. I don't know anybody he was pro."

"Anti-Semitic, among other things" still strictly qualifies a person as "anti-Semitic".

"Anti-Semitic, among other things" still strictly qualifies a person as "anti-Semitic".

He's being hyperbolic. Or allegorical. I can't think of the precise word. But the impression I got was that he just enjoyed cursing out people for their ethnicity or religion, not that he actually hated them in the sense that a Nazi would.

He's being hyperbolic. Or allegorical. I can't think of the precise word. But the impression I got was that he just enjoyed cursing out people for their ethnicity or religion, not that he actually hated them in the sense that a Nazi would.
Very few anti-Semites hate Jews in quite the same sense that a Nazi would. Henry Ford was on good personal terms with a number of Jews, for example, even while his magazine, The Dearborn Independent, serialised The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. (Needless to say, his Jewish acquaintances began to distance themselves from him after this point.) It's possibly to be profoundly bigoted, but not to be dominated by that bigotry at every moment of the day.

The last of the Nixon tapes to be released finally occurred last August. He made a number of anti-Semitic remarks.

Top Bottom