Declaring war through diplomacy with a 3rd civ

ZombieBunny

Chieftain
Been wondering about this for a while. Sometimes other civs ask me to declare war on someone else, was wondering if doing so has the same negative diplomatic effects as declaring war by yourself?

One of my allies asked me to declare war on a 3rd part and I was sorta fine with it, but ever since then everyones just been on my back calling me a warmonger, my ally including.

Just seems kinda odd how im punished for helping out my ally.

Yea it does. It shouldn't give positive modifiers though in my opinion with anyone but who asked you to join in the way IMO

Why would you not be a warmonger just because you went to war for someone else?

Italy was just helping their ally Germany.

I do wish the game was able to differentiate between a defensive and offensive war though. I think it tries to do this by now going by the number of cities you take to determine your penalty but I am not sure if this is sufficient.

I hope not, hardcore gamer. I bribe other civs to attack the dominant power all the time! :D
If you can bribe at least two into attacking a civ, then it's usually alright for you to jump on the bandwagon as well. I doubt there is a penalty for paying one civ to attack another, as the deal is private, not public. ...right?

So basically theres no real reason to actually accept a declare war request from another civ? Sometimes I pick the "gimme 10 turns", but then the civ asking me doesnt even join on the war himself. Is it supposed to work like that or has the AI just tricked me into a situation where theres no right answer, since if I decline 10 turns later they get all pissed at me. /sigh

So basically theres no real reason to actually accept a declare war request from another civ? Sometimes I pick the "gimme 10 turns", but then the civ asking me doesnt even join on the war himself. Is it supposed to work like that or has the AI just tricked me into a situation where theres no right answer, since if I decline 10 turns later they get all pissed at me. /sigh

This should never happen. If the Civ isn't already at war, at 10 turns, a popup should happen where you declare war and the AI also declares war.

It does happen on the AI's turn though, so you may lose some units.

If you preemptively declare war after saying you'll wait 10 turns, the AI doesn't always join you, because he's not under the 10 turn obligation.

You get the diplo hit for going to war or taking cities with all civs who are not currently at war with the same civ (modified by how much they like you vs the other civ; which is why pre-war denunciations are very helpful for diplo).

Paying people to go war incurs no diplo penalty. Although it should.

Top Bottom