[WIP] Sikh/Punjabi civilization - looking for suggestions and art help

I'm still stuck on the icon question, I wish I knew _something_ about how to work with them. The fact that I even managed to make an atlas for Wimp's civ icon to make it possible to use Firaxis' Sikh alpha icon surprised me, lol.

Also, it seems Great Prophet replacement isn't working out. I did some testing with the Guru but still the game gives me normal Great Prophet when it's time to spawn one. I read somewhere on the forums today that Missionary UUs cant be done - maybe it's the same for prophets? So I'll probably have to scrap prophet idea but I DO like Gurus so I'm looking for another way to implement that one.

I have decided to do the Gurdwara as UB - no stats decided yet though - and if I don't manage to work out the Guru I'll keep the Fast Worker.

I did some testing with the Guru but still the game gives me normal Great Prophet when it's time to spawn one. I read somewhere on the forums today that Missionary UUs cant be done - maybe it's the same for prophets?
I don't see why not; the game already has GG and GM UUs, so why not GPs? Maybe it's hard-coded in the DLL....

Okay, here's the code. :) The Guru is atm pretty much a prophet copy, except for a change in promotions where I took out the -1 visibility range (Gurus have a good eye) and gave them the Medic promotion for healing abilities (maybe this isn't good?)

Edit: Well me neither, AgressiveWimp... what's special about the prophet is that it is not earned with Great People points but rather randomly spawned when you have reached a certain amount of faith. This might be doing something that is different from other great people.

Code:
<Units>
	<Row>
		<Class>UNITCLASS_PROPHET</Class>
		<Type>UNIT_GURU</Type>
		<Cost>-1</Cost>
		<Moves>2</Moves>
		<Capture>UNITCLASS_PROPHET</Capture>
		<CivilianAttackPriority>CIVILIAN_ATTACK_PRIORITY_HIGH</CivilianAttackPriority>
		<Special>SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE</Special>
		<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
		<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_PROPHET</DefaultUnitAI>
		<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_GURU</Description>
		<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_GURU_TEXT</Civilopedia>
		<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_GREAT_PROPHET_STRATEGY</Strategy>
		<AdvancedStartCost>-1</AdvancedStartCost>
		<WorkRate>1</WorkRate>
		<CombatLimit>0</CombatLimit>
		<FoundReligion>true</FoundReligion>
		<SpreadReligion>true</SpreadReligion>
		<ReligionSpreads>4</ReligionSpreads>
		<ReligiousStrength>1000</ReligiousStrength>
		<UnitArtInfo>ART_DEF_UNIT_GREAT_PROPHET</UnitArtInfo>
		<UnitFlagAtlas>EXPANSION_UNIT_FLAG_ATLAS</UnitFlagAtlas>
		<UnitFlagIconOffset>16</UnitFlagIconOffset>
		<IconAtlas>EXPANSION_UNIT_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
		<PortraitIndex>16</PortraitIndex>
		<MoveRate>GREAT_PERSON</MoveRate>
	</Row>
</Units>
<Unit_AITypes>
	<Row>
		<UnitType>UNIT_GURU</UnitType>
		<UnitAIType>UNITAI_PROPHET</UnitAIType>
	</Row>
</Unit_AITypes>
<Unit_Builds>
	<Row>
		<BuildType>BUILD_HOLY_SITE</BuildType>
	</Row>
</Unit_Builds>
<Unit_FreePromotions>
	<Row>
		<PromotionType>PROMOTION_RIVAL_TERRITORY</PromotionType>
	</Row>
	<Row>
		<PromotionType>PROMOTION_MEDIC</PromotionType>
	</Row>
</Unit_FreePromotions>

Yes, Great Prophets (and not their class of unit) are hardcoded. But you can detect when a Great Prophet is born, kill it, and replace it with your unique. Have at look at Leugi's Muisca civ. He does this exact thing.

Ok, great news: Gurus work now! :) Only thing is that the Limited Visibility promotion won't go away but that's not so important - and it did get the Medic promotion I added to the code.

Now: idea time for the guru! I am mostly acquainted with XML, and don't know much about Lua and stuff so I'd like to give him powers I can do in XML.

Healing powers was a nice idea imo, and I'm thinking of how to do this. Is Medic promotion the best way? Should he get not only Medic I but also Medic II or maybe even III? Other implementations?

I couldn't get rid of Limited Visibility but I was thinking of something similar to that. Either he could get that +1 visibility range promotion for free which probably would take out the -1 visibility range promotion and give him the normal visibility range - which was what I intended.
OR
Since I'll probably scrap the Fast Worker I was thinking of implementing its power into the Guru - faster movement. The Guru could have a movement of 4, like a missionary, or 3 for just a little bit faster movement.

Any other ideas? :)

Edit: Also, I tried adding names to the Gurus (after the Sikh Gurus) - like all the other Great People have, except for the prophets - but the Guru in my test did not get a name...

The thing with the Limited Visibility is easily solvable: Give them a +1 View Range promotion. :)
Should've read your post before posting myself.

A Great Prophet with Medic and 3 Movement Points would be very interesting to enforce your religion. haha
They either accept your teachings or he'll come back with armed friends.

You made me want to rethink the Guru a little, hehe. The Sikh Empire was quite tolerant against other religious groups so it would seem weird to have a prophet that could spread your religion even more aggressively...

With some inspiration from your earlier ideas I have started outlining the UA.

Some fancy UA name
Gain :c5faith: Faith from each enemy unit killed.

It would be just like the Aztec trait but faith instead of culture, so I checked the Aztec trait XML but that one was specifically <CultureFromKills> in the code. I guess this means I'll have to make my own FaithFromKills.

Edit: Oh, wait! There is FaithFromKills specified in the Traits.xml table already! And none of the civs use it yet.

Edit2: Trait is implemented and it works! My Warrior killed an enemy Warrior and I earned 8 faith, just like the Aztecs would earn 8 culture. Now I think this needs balancing because 1 faith is worth more than 1 culture or 1 gold (Honor finisher) is. Instead of giving 100% of the killed unit's strenght in Faith maybe I should tune it down to something like 50%? Because in my test game I was now able to found a pantheon after just killing off 2 Barbarian brutes.

Update on the Guru:

Gurus can create Great Works of Writing! They all have unique names, 10 in total - there were 10 Sikh Gurus (well 11, but the last one is a book). I have a problem with this though... The Gurus generated when you reach a certain treshold of faith don't get a name. They are just "Guru", while those given from other events - Hagia Sophia, Piety finisher etc. get their names. Why is that? Could it be something with the Lua code I have for replacing spawned Great Prophets with the Guru UU?

Gurus can't do the political treatise-thing that Writers can, so if there is no Writing slot they only have their usual Prophet powers. For now, the Guru still has its Medic I promotion but I'm thinking whether that would be too much powers also being a healer?

Update on UB:

So the UB will be the Gurdwara, replacing the temple. Since the Gurus will be able to create great works of writing, the Gurdwara will have a great work of writing slot to put those in. Is this enough or should I give it something more?

Does the Guru use the unit model that I linked? Also, regarding the icons not fitting, you might want to ask someone else to create the DDS for you or use whoward's DDS converter.

Yes, the Guru uses the Indian scout model. :)

Spoiler :

Thanks for the program tip, it was much easier to put them together with whoward's program.

Edit: Well, I was unable to make them look the way I wanted with the DDS converter too... if anyone is interested in helping me out, I made a separate thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13029338#post13029338

Attachments

• 2014-01-27_00001.jpg
    2014-01-27_00001.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 267
Edit: Also, I tried adding names to the Gurus (after the Sikh Gurus) - like all the other Great People have, except for the prophets - but the Guru in my test did not get a name...
Would I be able to take a look? There's two things you need to have for the names to show up, one in the unit XML file and the other in the text XML file. Since it just shows as "guru" in the screenshot, I'm inclined to believe it's in the Unit file that you're missing something

Pouakai: I found out later that them not getting names only applied to SOME gurus and not all of them, described it a few posts up:

The Gurus generated when you reach a certain treshold of faith don't get a name. They are just "Guru", while those given from other events - Hagia Sophia, Piety finisher etc. get their names. Why is that? Could it be something with the Lua code I have for replacing spawned Great Prophets with the Guru UU?

If you want to take a look at the files I attached the current mod folder below. :)

Attachments

• Sikh Empire (v 1).zip
    527.3 KB · Views: 40
Oh, okay. What I would expect it to be in that case is the list running out of names. But I wouldn't expect that to happen so early in the game. I'll take a look and talk with Leugi to see if we can figure out what's going on

So my two-cents:

"Faith from kills" is a fairly generic trait, along with the fact that it has been used countless times for UUs. Along with that, I just kind of have a hard time picturing such a religiously oriented civ being rewarded for conquest, unless you want to do the whole "converting the heathens" type UA.

That aside, perhaps you could link the UA name to one of the Sikh beliefs. "En Onkar", "Simran and Sewa", Naam Japna", "Kirat Karni", etc. TBH I'm just kind of pulling words off this page.
Except for En Onkar, which is if I'm not mistaken, the Sikh name for God.

Now about Gurus being able to create great works of writing: I think it's a good idea as long as the Gurdwara doesn't have a great writing slot. Since it seems the civ already is geared towards getting lots of great prophets, that would effectively make your civ be able to churn out far more tourism than any other civ in the game, giving them maybe a little OP CV advantage (?). Maybe the gurdwara could have a great work of art slot instead?

Hm, I think you're quite right about the UA. When designing the trait I was thinking mainly of the Sikh wars but it does say on that page you linked "Sikhs are a peace loving people and stand for Truth and Justice. Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, 'It is right to use force as a last resort when all other peaceful means fail.'" Maybe such an aggressive faith-earning trait was a bad choice...

I don't think a great work slot of any other kind would fit very well for the Gurdwara, but it could have another bonus if not the writing slot. My idea here was that the Gurus would write religious texts and put them in the temples, but as you say having quite a few Gurdwaras in your civ and then use your Gurus AND Great Writers to create great works you would end up with a very big advantage culturally. According to the wikipedia page Gurdwaras can also hold libraries and classrooms - I was thinking maybe a Science bonus or would that be too similar to the Mayan Shrine replacement?

An alternative is to have the Gurus lose their great works ability and let the Gurdwaras keep their writing slot, giving the Guru something else that is unique.

I have a question. When this Civilization is ready, will it be posted on Steam?

Craig: Having a unique Holy Site would probably give the Guru a lot of unique things and I don't know if it would be very balanced to put so much focus on that one unit. I mean you would want to use your Guru both for founding religion, enhancing religion, writing great works and spread religion. If the second unique is a holy site which would also require to get your civ a Guru you wouldn't get so much use out of your uniques, I think.

Skaz: I don't know how the Steam workshop thing works but when/if I get this done I was thinking of looking into it. :)

I worked a little on this yesterday, added in the Gurdwara (right now it has no special properties though) and took out the fast worker. I was also thinking of keeping the fast worker ability so I added into their UA that workers get extra movement and I'm thinking of whether to keep or swap out the faith from kills thing (maybe reduce it to a lower amount).

Although, somehow the game won't read my texts anymore. All of them shows up as TXT_KEY_ except for a few and I don't understand why that is. I even took out all the elements I added in, gurdwara and new UA abilities, but that did not make the text strings come back.

I tried searching both on here and Google to see if someone else has had the same problem but I didn't find anything. Current version of the mod is attached if someone wants to take a look and see if I missed something obvious when looking around...

Edit: Problem solved (if you're interested in solution, check the next page), so I took down the attached file.

Top Bottom