Battle of Iwo Jima 1945 ToT scenario released

Hi Gapetit,

I'm pleased you like my scenario. Thank you for the graphics they are very nice. I will definitely add them to my growing collection of WWII units.

Spent a good solid ten hours on this scenario in between work today. Great concept, well executed, very challenging and some very cool and unique features (such as tunnels). I'm just about holding things together, but it's getting a little chaotic. Surubachi is all but secured and I have located two other tunnel entrances. Looking forwards to finishing it off tomorrow. Can't believe it has taken me this long to play this great scenario. It is a little daunting to begin with, but once you get a feel for the various units capabilities it is a lot of fun! Great work Tootall!

:goodjob:

Hi McMonkey,

It`s been a very long time since anyone had posted on this thread but it's really nice to hear you seem to be enjoying the scenario. As I recall, I put a lot of effort in trying to make it competitive and interesting.

I imagine you selected Tunnel Complex I to play first. One thing I tried to do in my design was make it so that a player will never play the same exact scenario twice by 1) creating three different tunnel complex systems to choose from at the start and 2) have many of the initial japanese units set up randomly each time the player starts a new game.

Let me know how the game ends.

I restarted the scenario after day 6. The reason for this was that I went into it without a good understanding of unit capabilities and didn't follow a clear plan. This led to my decimated forces being in a real state of confusion.

Second time around things are a lot more organised but just as tough. I'm on day 7. Surubachi has been captured and I'm into two other tunnel complexes in the east of the scenario. Taking out the tunnel bunkers is proving problematic, even with Battleships firing in support. Enemy counter attacks are very effective. I'm determined to take the island on this attempt. 3rd Marine Division is on its was to help keep the momentum going.

I regret not finding the time to play this sooner as it is a quite remarkable scenario. Original, very well made & extremely challenging! Great work :D

I regret not finding the time to play this sooner as it is a quite remarkable scenario..

I'm very pleased to hear you are enjoying it now. :)

I restarted the scenario after day 6. The reason for this was that I went into it without a good understanding of unit capabilities and didn't follow a clear plan. This led to my decimated forces being in a real state of confusion.

I hope you took advantage of the ReadMe file as it contains a lot of valuable information about the game mechanics and unit capabilities.

With regards the tunnels I recommend that you pay close attention to details. Most Japanese HQ's (cities) are either located behind walls that can only be accessed after finding and attacking an explosive unit that blows up the wall associated to each HQ (and they are never situated next to the wall opening) or through hidden wall entrances which you can walk through (as you travel through the different tunnel complexes you may notice in some of them that certain wall tiles are slightly different than the others (and there's usually a yellow '?' unit in the tunnel in question that when attacked gives you a message to that effect)).

EDIT:

Obviously, the scenario was designed before TNO came along but, out of curiosity, are you running the game under TOTPP or simply under the basic TOT?

Completed the scenario on day 21 on my second attempt. To be fair it would probably have taken a little longer if I had not had a heads up as to the location of the first two tunnels in the east. Next time I will use the batch file to get a new system.

Thoroughly enjoyed the scenario, it's excellent! Very challenging. Every move needs to be carefully considered as movement is restricted by enemy ZOC. The right units need to be in the right place at the right time to progress. My only suggestion would be to consider (utilising ToTPP's extra events space) more Japanese infantry counter-attacks in the latter stages as they peter out. A lot of my casualties were sustained when the Banzai attacks came in!

I would recommend anyone who has not tried this scenario to give it a go. It's a little daunting at first but you soon get used to the mechanics and the unit capabilities. The re-playability factor also stands it in good stead.

Are you still working on your Vietnam scenario Tootall?

Thoroughly enjoyed the scenario, it's excellent!

Thanks!! :D

My only suggestion would be to consider (utilising ToTPP's extra events space) more Japanese infantry counter-attacks in the latter stages as they peter out.

As I recall, I actually designed the game to be as faithful as possible to the actual order of battle of both sides. Once the American had pierced the defensive line in the middle of the island, it essentially became a mopping up operation (as your play demonstrated). I fear adding more Japanese units would not be historical and might make it too difficult for players who don’t have your level of experience to win a game.

Are you still working on your Vietnam scenario Tootall?

Very much so. As per the last post on my development thread, I was stuck on some serious logic path issues with my tech tree which were affecting my ability to move forward with my event file.

I’ve worked pretty hard over the last few weeks to resolve almost all of them and can say for the first time since I started this project that I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel with regards completing the event file (maybe a few more weeks).

Once that is done I can finally move on to the final step in my process, testing!

Top Bottom