General Achievement Questions

Gabriel Pyyrhic

Warlord
Howdie All

I usually play with MODS or offline and so I do not have many achievements for the time I have played. That said I intend to play a more vanilla style game and so had a few questions pertaining to achievements that I hope you guys can help me with.

1. Do achievements for WINNING the game on a given DIFFICULTY (ie say Emperor), give you the achievement for the difficulties below that ?

2. If you WIN a SCENARIO (ie say Conquest of the New World) on a given DIFFCULTY (ie say EMPEROR) do you get the achievement for the difficulties below that for the scenario (ie Complete MONGOL INVASION on King).

3. Do you get the achievement for WINNING a game, if you WIN a SCENARIO (ie Complete 1066 on KING, do you get Beat the Game on KING difficulty as well as Beat the game on KING difficulty in 1066)?

4. Does being Offline affect you ACHIEVEMENT accrual, ie are they buffered and awarded when next you login ?

5. Do actions you take during a SCENARIO that are hooked to main game achievements get accrued ie if you sink a ship as Elizabeth in Conquest of the New World does it go towards the achievement that requires ~366 ships sunk as Elizabeth, or building Temples go towards the Temple building achievement, Cutting Forests towards the forest cutting achievement etc etc ?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I do appreciate it.

EDIT : Thanks Everyone for their replies. All questions thoroughly answered.

I'm not sure of the answers to your last three questions, but I do know that winning a game on a certain difficulty won't give you the achievements for difficulties below that - you must play at least one game of each difficulty and win it. I've only gotten such achievements in regular games, but presumably scenarios work the same.

Some answers:
1) No, you have to win the game once on each difficulty to get the achievements. Winning the game once on Deity won't pop all the "Win on x Difficulty" achievements.
2) The answer to this question is no for all scenarios save the Mongol one; on that scenario, you can win on Deity and get all the "Win the Mongol Scenario" achievements.
3) I'm not sure of the answer to this one. I do know, however, that winning as a specific leader in the "Conquest of the New World" scenario will unlock both the "Win the Conquest of the New World Scenario as [whatever leader]" achievement and the generic "Win on any difficulty as [the appropriate leader]" one, so I wouldn't consider it impossible to get the difficulty level achievements in some scenarios, at least.
4) No, you must be online to get achievements - so it doesn't matter if you, say, won a Space victory as Korea on Deity while you were offline; you'd have to do it again to get the achievements.
5) Yes.

Howdie All

I usually play with MODS or offline and so I do not have many achievements for the time I have played. That said I intend to play a more vanilla style game and so had a few questions pertaining to achievements that I hope you guys can help me with.

1. Do achievements for WINNING the game on a given DIFFICULTY (ie say Emperor), give you the achievement for the difficulties below that ?

2. If you WIN a SCENARIO (ie say Conquest of the New World) on a given DIFFCULTY (ie say EMPEROR) do you get the achievement for the difficulties below that for the scenario (ie Complete MONGOL INVASION on King).

3. Do you get the achievement for WINNING a game, if you WIN a SCENARIO (ie Complete 1066 on KING, do you get Beat the Game on KING difficulty as well as Beat the game on KING difficulty in 1066)?

4. Does being Offline affect you ACHIEVEMENT accrual, ie are they buffered and awarded when next you login ?

5. Do actions you take during a SCENARIO that are hooked to main game achievements get accrued ie if you sink a ship as Elizabeth in Conquest of the New World does it go towards the achievement that requires ~366 ships sunk as Elizabeth, or building Temples go towards the Temple building achievement, Cutting Forests towards the forest cutting achievement etc etc ?

1) No
2) Only mongol scenario (caus there is only one faction)
3) yes. I got the deity achievement for winning as mongols on deity
4) not sure, dont think so
5) pretty sure of yes

Important remark. Ever since the BNW update, it seems the old "win as" achievements are now broken. Scenario ones do still work however

I'm not sure of the answers to your last three
........ SNIP

Some answers:
................ SNIP

..................... SNIP
Important remark. Ever since the BNW update, it seems the old "win as" achievements are now broken. Scenario ones do still work however

THANKS EVERYONE !!!

I was relatively familiar with how achievements work prior to G+K but had had no real experience with them since then, so I thought some things may have changed.

Thanks for all the replies.

@Scheva007 : I sincerely hope you are wrong about the "WIN AS ...." achievements, as that is one of the main reasons for my re-interest in achievements, helps me keep track of what I have and have not done.

I had really hoped they had fixed the issues regarding (1) from my OP. Not really that I need the achievements but I imagine as the achievements start to accrue I will look at the achievement totals ie x/300 (approx) and not realise that maybe 40 of those are ones that don't matter once you have succeeded on a higher difficulty. Perhaps I am failing to see some design principle at work here ?

I have always wondered why achievements don't store the difficulty you are playing at (and perhaps other metrics ie Civ, World Size etc) when the achievement is achieved. Seems metrics can be stored for achievements as some of them have counters as part of their achievement. Doing this IMO would mean that people could re-achieve achievements at a higher level therefor giving a sense of skill progression.

FYI FTL is the only game I have seen that records this (it records the difficulty you achieved any achievement on (ie EASY or NORMAL)). TO be fair thogh FTL only has in-game achievements, rather then STEAM achievements, although they do get synced with the STEAM CLOUD.

Howdie All

Okay...

1. Each difficulty achievement in a normal game is separate. You have to win at each difficulty.

2. Some scenarios do give you the achievements for winning at a higher difficulty. They will be listed as "Win at X or above". If they aren't, you have to win each one separately.

3. This I don't remember off the top of my head.

4. I know in the past you could earn achievements in offline mode, and they would be credited the next time you logged into Steam. I haven't done this in a long time, but I think it still works.

5. I am not sure about the English ship sinking, but the rest do all count toward achievements. Cutting forests, building roads and temples, winning games, all those count in scenarios.

by the way, you can also get BNW "win as" achievements in Scramble for Africa scenario, just as it worked with Conquest of the New World (i got both the Portugal win and the Feitora achievement in SfA).

another thing i remember now is that playing as the vandals in Fall of Rome scenario gave me the Songhai achievement for conquering a city on another continent (vandals are using Askias leaderscreen).

Sinking ships in conquest of the new world does add towards the ruller of the seas achievement
unless bnw has changed this.
cheers
JD

Okay...

1. Each difficulty achievement in a normal game is separate. You have to win at each difficulty.

2. Some scenarios do give you the achievements for winning at a higher difficulty. They will be listed as "Win at X or above". If they aren't, you have to win each one separately.

3. This I don't remember off the top of my head.

4. I know in the past you could earn achievements in offline mode, and they would be credited the next time you logged into Steam. I haven't done this in a long time, but I think it still works.

5. I am not sure about the English ship sinking, but the rest do all count toward achievements. Cutting forests, building roads and temples, winning games, all those count in scenarios.

Thankyou.

by the way, you can also get BNW "win as" achievements in Scramble for Africa scenario, just as it worked with Conquest of the New World (i got both the Portugal win and the Feitora achievement in SfA).

another thing i remember now is that playing as the vandals in Fall of Rome scenario gave me the Songhai achievement for conquering a city on another continent (vandals are using Askias leaderscreen).

:) That's interesting regarding the Songhai. I will keep all this in mind as I kinda want to use the achievements to track my progress with different Civs/Scenarios. Now I am armed with what you and others have told me I will know to win the main game with a given Civ before trying to win with it in a scenario.

Sinking ships in conquest of the new world does add towards the ruller of the seas achievement
unless bnw has changed this.
cheers
JD

Thanks for confirming this. I think I have a pretty good grasp now.

Thanks again everyone. Very helpful.

Top Bottom