Why is Egypt considered low tier? I do great with them.About to win....

Chariots have an upgrade path as melee units. Save their promotions til you upgrade to knights, get march, cover, all that. Range is better, but march is easier to get.

But then you need to turn on promotion saving to do just that.

By the time you get logistics on the UU, they will be obsolete. The problem with chariot archers is that they lack a ranged upgrade, not that they themselves are a weak unit.

The same is true of Hunnic mounted archers (note I misspoke in in my previous post). The map and game pace need to be right for this strategy to work.

The same is true of Hunnic mounted archers (note I misspoke in in my previous post). The map and game pace need to be right for this strategy to work.

I don't agree with that comparison. First of all the hunnic horse archer has a TON of bonuses and starts closer to the transferrable promotion. Plus the horse archer accompanies a second anti city unit so that it is a complimentary support unit. The war chariot does not have a unit that allows it to capitalize on its less pronounced advantages so it isn't very effective.

War Chariots are extremely powerful if you're trying for a super-fast Domination victory. It's true that they might not be great if you're aiming to play a longer and/or more peaceful game. But they're strong enough in their window to enable otherwise-impossible strategies. I'd say that them having that sort of special value is a more important factor to emphasize than the fact that they're kind of mediocre in other types of games.

I don't agree with that comparison. First of all the hunnic horse archer has a TON of bonuses and starts closer to the transferrable promotion.

They start with the accuracy promotion. AFAIK that is their only bonus. The WC has the negative bonus that it expends all its motion points on entering rough terrain.

Plus the horse archer accompanies a second anti city unit so that it is a complimentary support unit. The war chariot does not have a unit that allows it to capitalize on its less pronounced advantages so it isn't very effective.

That is a a characteristic of the civ, not the unit. Obviously the Huns are the greater war mongers. and the HA is better than the WC. I said they were analogous, not the same. Using the same strategy with WCs would be more challenging and the conditions under which it would succeed are narrower. Rough terrain is bad for HAs but it is poison for WCs.

I'll start a trial game as Egypt and see how it goes.

As far as War Chariots are concerned, to get the best out of an early rush domination game, I find that playing World Age 5 billion years is the way to go.

WC's are not so bad with hills. I mean it's not good--I'd rather have open terrain--but I can work with hills. They're archers.

They're good for two specific strategies. The first is the insanely early domination, the second is to pick off a civ closeby you before you meet any other civs. This is highly useful in a lot of cases. Start next to Greece? Bombard him with your Chariots, take Athens and from that point on lay low.
Once the chariots go obsolete, just sell them. By that time, Egypt has no further combat bonuses, so why not make the switch at that point to go from warmongery conqueror to peaceful monument builders? If you monger your wars properly, others won't even know what happened.

As far as War Chariots are concerned, to get the best out of an early rush domination game, I find that playing World Age 5 billion years is the way to go.

Tried Great Plains+, small, 8 players, epic, immortal. I suck at domination. I couldn't help myself building HagSo, HangGa, and the Oracle. By turn 180 I have put the kibosh on everyone except Washington who started in the Eastern 30% of the "Great Plains" that is heavily forested. I tried to speed up logisitics by researching bronze working then building a barracks before building the WCs. It still took a long time but they powned without it anyway.

Other civs might be playable as a chariot rush. If you're going to build a barracks then Russia makes sense because of the krepost bonus. Moreover your chariots will (if they survive) ultimately become cossacks with logistics.

Tried Great Plains+, small, 8 players, epic, immortal. I suck at domination. I couldn't help myself building HagSo, HangGa, and the Oracle. By turn 180 I have put the kibosh on everyone except Washington who started in the Eastern 30% of the "Great Plains" that is heavily forested. I tried to speed up logisitics by researching bronze working then building a barracks before building the WCs. It still took a long time but they powned without it anyway.

Other civs might be playable as a chariot rush. If you're going to build a barracks then Russia makes sense because of the krepost bonus. Moreover your chariots will (if they survive) ultimately become cossacks with logistics.

don't put epic on small map. It will tip the balance and thus make the trial not a valid one. Put epic huge, or at least put standard time on small.

don't put epic on small map. It will tip the balance and thus make the trial not a valid one. Put epic huge, or at least put standard time on small.

I'll put whatever settings I like. You have no authority over me.

Best reply ever. I hate it when people try to enforce what settings should be used as any kind of standard.

Having range units that upgrade to melee units, or vice versa, is just plain bad game design.

If it really has to be done, the promotions shoudl convert. If you have range, and you upgrade to melee, you should get a melee promotion.

It makes some UU's really lame.

what you put at a public forum is not a subject of private matter anymore. That means i can give any comment as long as the moderator sees fit. If by any chance you don't like people to complain about your playing style, DON'T POST IT IN A PUBLIC FORUM!

How about you don't complain about how others choose to play the game? There are so many settings that can be chosen to customize every game however the player sees fit. No one has to play the way that you expect them to.

Top Bottom