Most Anticipated New Civilization

Which civilization do you anticipate the most in the new expansion?

• Netherlands

Votes: 91 24.8%
  • Mayans

Votes: 60 16.3%
  • Byzantines

Votes: 72 19.6%
  • Carthaginians

Votes: 69 18.8%
  • Celts

Votes: 75 20.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does her voice not fit an empress?

And if you think it doesn't, why is that bad? She was a commoner, after all.

Also I think they did an excellent job with her voice and animation mannerisms. Reminds me of my relatives in Taiwan.

I expected her to somehow sound older, right now she's like a young adult. Maybe it was just not my cup of tea. :)

Ah, I did not know that she was a commoner. If I had to judge the formality in her lines I would say it's medium - more formal than you'd talk to a friend but less than greeting a leader. For example when she says "you", I'd expect her to use the formal "您" (nin) and not the less formal "你" (ni).

Her animations are rather nice and the music is gorgeous, it's just her voice that irks me a bit. ;)

I'm looking forward to playing as Carthage. I'm guessing Hannibal for the leader (Hamilcar is probably the only other possibility, but his son makes muc more sense). Numidian calvary and either Libyan phalanx or the cothon as UU/UBs. I hope their UA is something to do with mercenary armies. Maybe cheaper to buy units?

It might be Dido, since she was never done, and Hannibal has been part of pretty much every Civ game.

Dido/Elissa was actually a leader in Civ II. However, there's really no reason to choose Dido/Elissa as the leader over someone more appropriate like Hannibal unless they're specifically looking to add another female leader.

On the Byzantines:

There's always Heraclius as well, but I think Justinian is probably more likely given the bent of the planned Byzzie civ. Zoe Porphyrogenita could be an interesting choice if they wanted to fit in another female leader.

I expected her to somehow sound older, right now she's like a young adult. Maybe it was just not my cup of tea. :)

Ah, I did not know that she was a commoner. If I had to judge the formality in her lines I would say it's medium - more formal than you'd talk to a friend but less than greeting a leader. For example when she says "you", I'd expect her to use the formal "您" (nin) and not the less formal "你" (ni).

Her animations are rather nice and the music is gorgeous, it's just her voice that irks me a bit. ;)

Well yes, she does sound a little young. But she was the favorite concubine before having the Emperor killed and her son put on the throne as a puppet with her as regent, before finally having him killed and then having a looooooong rule. So perhaps this is supposed to be while she is still regent, or shortly thereafter.

I have never used that formal version of you you speak of, nor have I ever heard anybody do so. Even if somebody wanted to use it, it simply doesn't flow in sentences. People just use the 'informal' version and nobody minds.

Though I think the informal speech works fine when she is angry and introduces you with "Oh, it's you." (angry glare)

I thinx we can except ancient classical civilizations because 2 of the new civilizations are classical ancient ones

I have never used that formal version of you you speak of, nor have I ever heard anybody do so. Even if somebody wanted to use it, it simply doesn't flow in sentences. People just use the 'informal' version and nobody minds.

Though I think the informal speech works fine when she is angry and introduces you with "Oh, it's you." (angry glare)

I totally agree with you about what she should say when she gets angry, it's those little details that makes Civ V diplomacy more entertaining. :cool:

Really? :confused: I'd say it's still used, maybe not as much as "vous" in French, but if you meet someone of high rank (say, an official), this would be an obvious choice. I can't remember so much, but it seems that when I went to school in China we had to use it (to a certain degree) when adressing our teachers.

I'm going to China this summer and hopefully I'll be updated about the level of formality. :)

Byzantines! I have an obsession for anything Rome-the Republic, Empire, and Byzantines. I hope that Justinian would be the leader, he is the most logical choice. They could make a great scene for him in his palace or the Hagia Sofia

It's been about 75 votes since I did this, so time for another leaderboard check.

1) Byzantines - 53
2) Celts - 51
3) Netherlands - 46
4) Carthaginians - 40
5) Mayans - 35

Well, it seems that the Celts and Byzantines are pulling away from the pack now while Carthage and the Maya are falling behind.

I've seen on wikipedia that the Byzantone leader is Theodora...I know this is not in any way a credible source and have yet to see any real proof...I seriously hope this is wrong...Justinian would be the better choice...if it is Theodora i will be very dissipointed.

It is Theodora. Personally, I think both her and Justinian are bad choices, but they're not horrible choices.

How is Justinian a bad choice? He expanded the empire to its greatest extent and built the Hagia Sophia.

And by expanding, he bankrupted the Empire and left it vulnerable. Then those conquests more or less evaporated after his death. His conquests basically just left a wake of destruction with little to show for them.

Don't get me wrong, he's also important for preserving the old Roman law in the Code of Justinian. However, that's my biggest complaint. He was too Roman. His goal was to reconquer the western half of the Empire. Other Emperors were more "Byzantine" in that they focused on making the Eastern Empire great even without depending on its connection to the west. There's a reason Justinian is known as "The Last Roman Emperor." I like the idea of a Greek-speaking Eastern Emperor.

Also, while it might have just been propaganda, he came off as fairly cowardly during the riots in Constantinople (this was Theodora's time to shine, though).

I voted Celts when this poll was started.

But now, as we have heard about the Huns, I would even like to vote them. Because I'm just curious how they will play. The *could* be so different to everything we are used to. *If* Firaxis is daring enough...

So, as they have such a big potential and we know so little about them, they are my new "most anticipated civ".

I agree. I think we have enough new info out that there should be a new poll.

I'm fine with Justinian.
Although Queen Dido bothers me.
Wasn't she a myth? A "King Arthur" type person?

Dido's good, shes different from the norm and hopefully Carthage will be better for it; after all, Hannibal only ruled Carthage for one term before he was sent into exile, he was known more for his military exploits rather than his governance. I felt I could never really get into Carthage as Hannibal, but Dido, the citys legendary founder is another story. While there are many myths surrounding Elissa/Dido, some say she was a goddess made leader, the personification of the Phonetician goddess, and patron goddess of Carthage, Tanit. Others say that she was a historical person, described in surviving historical records, including family trees; indeed, her father was a real King of Tyre. But whatever you believe, don't believe Vigil; indeed never believe any Roman source when it comes to Carthage; they're horrendously bias particularly those written in the Imperial era.

And Basil I the Macedonian would have been the best choice for Byzantine Leader, not Justinian or his Empress.

Personally, I put her vaguely in the same category as Gilgamesh. Mostly just a legend, but possibly based on a real person. Brennus and Ragnar fall into this category too, but notice they aren't coming back.

The problem is it's like having King Romulus lead the Romans. Carthage had a pretty cool government that is basically ignored by having a semi-mythical monarch instead.

Justinian's issue, as with almost every other Roman emperor (aside from the five good Emperors) was that he didn't have a good heir. The Eastern Empire made a huge resurgence under him, and the finances were in excellent shape by his death. What promptly ruined the empire was fresh Persian invasions combined with terrible leadership.

I agree about Justinian though. If they are to have a separate Byzantine civilization, they might as well draw their inspiration from the Greek empire of the Middle Ages rather than the Latin Empire from before Michael. Lots of good choices from this era, too. Both Basils, Heraclius, Alexius, and even Constantine XI was a good emperor who simply came too late to save the empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom