When should I build work boats for luxuries and fish improvements?

fallout3dc

Warlord
I play as Korea so I start off next to sea luxuries a lot. My general build order is:

scout
scout
shrine
granary (if population 2)
settler (library, granary, worker, colloseum, (watermill, shrine, temple) university)
worker
settler (purchase library, granary, colloseum, (watermill, shrine, temple) university)
library
granary (if not built yet)
National college
settler (granary, library, university, colloseum, watermill, shrine, temple)
worker
colloseum
c. maximus
(temple)
university
lighthouse
cargo ship (send food to capital)
cargo ship (send food to capital)
holy temple
market
f. palace
bank
national epic
garden
public school
oxford (bulb radio)

The question is, where should I fit the work boats in here? Also, is this build a good type of build for Korea. Any tips are great. Thanks.

If it's only fish a lighthouse is good. If it's a luxury resource and you need the happiness buy the workboat(s). If you have GoTS buy the first workboat and with the production boost build a workboat (s).

I normally don't build a work boat until after I finished National College. If happiness is a necessity I tend to just buy the workboat flat out. I play as Spain so I have these ocean starts quite often as well. Usually though you just need to settle your second city on a luxury to prevent unhappiness.

If you're going to build a settler right after completing your granary, you should make the settler first, then the granary. You are delaying the settler quite a bit and the granary is not benefiting the city while it's not growing on a settler.

I would make work boats for luxuries ASAP but would not make work boats for fish until I have absolutely nothing to do with my hammers. Everything else in the game is more important than +1 food on one single tile. A light house is far superior and should be made long before a work boat that's not for a luxury.

You are delaying the settler quite a bit and the granary is not benefiting the city while it's not growing on a settler.
Except food is converted into production of settlers, which is only inferior to hammer-based production if you're running collective rule.

I occasionally play an optics start, if I've got four or more sea resources. Scout, scout, shrine, grannary, workboat, lighthouse, settler, settler. Buy a workboat as soon as possible. Get GoTS as soon as possible. Sell your sea luxuries as soon as you get them and keep buying boats, keep the last luxury.
It's a pretty strong build, although it's slow to national college the extra pop, high hammers and strong GPT will get your trade cogs and the triremes to defend them out fast, so you don't lag too much on science because your expos will grow fast.

Pure granary less effective then settler, because settler will produce 6 units of something, when granary produce only 2.

On other hand, if city has 2 granary resources, granary first could work better if you can convert exec food over 2 into hummer.

Work boats for fish -> sometime after a Lighthouse, Library, and Colosseum. (The fishing boat only adds one food while the lighthouse adds two [plus a hammer] so you can delay the fishing boat until you know that happiness won't be issue. In addition providing a food cargo ship can be a priority over fishing boat.)

Work boats for happiness luxaries -> Immediately after lighthouse unless you need the happiness even sooner.

Except food is converted into production of settlers, which is only inferior to hammer-based production if you're running collective rule.

With the extra 2 food taken into account towards settler production you are still delaying the settler massively. Was that a joke? The 2 food might shave off one turn of settler production while the granary took 6 - 7 turns to make.

if you intend to only build them in the cap then looking at your build order you can certainly delay colosseum and maximus for work boats. you could also buy one if its a lux tile and trade the lux if you dont need the happiness. but i usually only do this if i need the happiness and other happy sources are a long ways away.

With the extra 2 food taken into account towards settler production you are still delaying the settler massively. Was that a joke? The 2 food might shave off one turn of settler production while the granary took 6 - 7 turns to make.

Part of it is also for growing the city while building the granary. So its a difference between 3 pop hammers vs 4 pop hammers + granary. If the city has good growth and you have no immediate competition for settling spots, I see why not for making the granary first.

I occasionally play an optics start, if I've got four or more sea resources. Scout, scout, shrine, grannary, workboat, lighthouse, settler, settler.

If I have four or more sea resources, I buy the lighthouse if at all possible. Better than any other purchase you can make in that situation.

Buying a lighthouse is great, but it's 400 gold. A fishing boat is 240, you have to meet ten city states, or pilage a caravan or something to come up with the extra 160 gold in a timely manner. The fishing boat allows you to sell the lux you improve, enhancing your GPT alongside the extra food and hammer (from GoTS).

I usually don't build them for fish, but you'll have to make time for luxuries. Later I start buying work boats regularly. They don't just provide more food, but also more gold on the fish tile.

Top Bottom