How to get friendly status with AI?

avl8

Prince
Subj!

In the new brave world where u cant trade for lump sums of gold...

ive got a simple question:
Is there any actual steps to get a friendly status with AI?

Building a city fairly close to another civ will usually have them coming around bleating about expanding too close to them. If you accept you can then back-fill at your leisure and get a +ve for adhering to your promise whilst blocking off their expansion, sweet.

If you can afford it, send them 10gpt. Instant friendship if they don't have a red diplo modifier.

Don't settle agressively
Don't be a warmonger and or turning a defensive war into a war of conquest
Be generous in trades
Open trade routes with the civs
Share their religion
Don't spread your religion to their cities if they have their own.
Don't assume the AI won't know what your up to. They can fake peace too.
Don't break your word if you promise not to expand towards them or spread your religion.
Don't attack their protected city states
Become friends with their friends
Don't play like you did in previous Civ games.

There's more but these are basic things people should do.

I never have a problem DOF'ing almost everyone. I think the main points are: trade routes, open borders, DON'T spread a religion, and, if you can afford it . . . go ahead and let them have that Sugar for 30 turns free of charge. If you wont go near unhappiness from losing a luxury and the ask for it (even if it's the last unit), give it. This helps the AI to slaughter eachother when their enemy inevitably asks you for some resources as well. The plot only thickens when you have diplomats in many capitals, and share your intrigue with all the AIs. Create war between them and maintain yourself as everyone's best friend and financier!

Settling close to an AI will have different effects based on how much space is available total. If you settle close to an AI that has little room elsewhere, gird thy loins.

Thanks for ideas!

Is it true that when u give a lux for small amount of gold a special message appears in diplomatic status?
Like "it was a generous trade" or something?

My trick is to gift 1 horse to every leader I meet (if they don't have horses, else it wouldn't be considered a good gift -_-).
They most likely DoF me the next turn.

Doesn't always work tho. It all depends on whether they needed the gift or not.

When they seek allies for a war, promise to join in 10 turns. Sure, you'll be fighting a war, but in my experience this is one of the best ways to maintain friendship with an empire. When the time comes for war, however, make sure you follow through, or else I believe there is a negative modifier if you don't.

However, when you go to war, don't take too many cities. That was my mistake in a recent game. I fought with Carthage against the Dutch and took 3 cities including the Dutch capital, and all was well, until Carthage and the rest of my former friends back-stabbed me a couple eras later because I had "built" (even though I didn't build any cities) too "aggressively". :lol: Take out their army and maybe one or two cities.

Cool, thanks!

Any tips and tricks to get friendly status on Immortal/Deity?

Cool, thanks!

Any tips and tricks to get friendly status on Immortal/Deity?

Bend over when they say so :D

Edit: Don't give them any excuse to hate you. Beware of who you befriend or befoe (that isn't a word, but it should be).

Any other ideas how to get friendly status with AI?
Pretty much what was already said. Set up caravans to them early, trade luxes for GPT once you have duplicates, don't settle too close, and don't send missionaries/Great Prophets to convert their cities. Also, if they warn you to not get friendly with another civ/city-state, start harassing that civ/city-state to get on your friends good side.

Top Bottom