Rhye's and Fall of Civilization info and discussion thread

That wouldn't be a terrible idea actually, I'm sure someone can make some progress out of it. What exactly were the issues present Rhye?

That wouldn't be a terrible idea actually, I'm sure someone can make some progress out of it. What exactly were the issues present Rhye?

Probably lack of time and the inability to do everything by himself. Plus bug hunting is a chore :nuke:

Hello everyone.

I'm bringing good and bad news. I think that the important thing is to bring some news and explain, anyway.

I'm sorry for being absent these months: my life has become a kind of roller coaster in a way that I couldn't imagine. In the last year I've been in 10 countries (Japan-Russia-Germany-France-England-Italy-China-Qatar-Egypt-Turkey). A kind of commuter by plane, with a heap of experiences that consumed my time and energy (such as moving to a different apartment several times, experiencing baggage lost, representing Italy in official events abroad, volunteering in tsunami areas, finding myself in the middle of the Egyptian revolution turmoils, getting lost in outskirts of China, and the list could go on and on).

As I couldn't do much alone in this situation, I assigned some tasks to others, but the programmer seems to have been also himself busy with studies and I gradually lost contact. After buying the expansion pack I tried to go on with development by myself in my very little free time left, but I got stuck in several crashes that I couldn't find the reason.
This is, indeed, a bad news. So what can I do?
Here's a good news. I will keep my promise and for now release the empty map, without additional components. I'm sure that someone of you will have the energy to build interesting scenarios upon it. In addition, I will write a document of "Guidelines for making a RFC style mod". Rather than releasing the buggy alpha of RFC, I think it's better to write a document that contains all the details of how it should be implemented, what it should and shouldn't feature, so that the team willing to carry this job won't have to care about design decisions but can focus only on implementation. I will provide the code if necessary. I know that this might be disappointing for most of you, but I can't do much more at this time. I can realistically fit only the position of supervisor.

My intention is to release sometime in the next weeks, taking advantage of the slightly more free time that I've got since I am...guess where?...in the US.

Side note: I arrived in Pittsburgh this morning. I will probably visit New York, Boston, and maybe Philadelphia, Washington and Toronto later on. If any of you is living in one of these cities, let me know. I'd be delighted to find someone who can guide me around.

Cheers,

Rhye

Are you freaking kidding me? If i had a life like that i wouldnt have to play civ for a bit of excitement. 10 countries, and i cant even get outta one. Anyways good luck and thanks for the info. The wait without word was driving me bonkers.

There are also many minor issue, but the biggest one is with crashes.
Recently we had a bunch of new stuff implemented, especially the settlers AI routines.
However, they couldn't be tested because each time I run an American start, the game crashed sometime during auto-play. I left the PC there and I always found the crash already happened or even the window closed. Reverting back the changes didn't eliminate the crash, because old versions started to crash as well, except very old ones.
As investigating a problem like this requires a fast computer and a lot of time to spend (and I haven't got neither of the two) I assigned this work to tester volunteers. What I wanted was to find out which version introduced the crash and excluding the new features one by one, get some hint of what could be the cause. This ended up with me sending all the packages by email, and never getting answer.

The same thing happened with other small working packages that I assigned: I explain the goal, sent the files and got no replies.
As you can understand, it's impossible to work like this, except if I did everything by myself, which is something I can't afford with this lifestyle.

Are you freaking kidding me? If i had a life like that i wouldnt have to play civ for a bit of excitement. 10 countries, and i cant even get outta one. Anyways good luck

Thank you.
Besides, I will visit Toronto this weekend, and NYC the next. Anybody living there?

I will stay in the US until the end of March, that's why I am thinking of releasing the map during this month in which I have a bit more free time.

There are also many minor issue, but the biggest one is with crashes.
Recently we had a bunch of new stuff implemented, especially the settlers AI routines.
However, they couldn't be tested because each time I run an American start, the game crashed sometime during auto-play. I left the PC there and I always found the crash already happened or even the window closed. Reverting back the changes didn't eliminate the crash, because old versions started to crash as well, except very old ones.
As investigating a problem like this requires a fast computer and a lot of time to spend (and I haven't got neither of the two) I assigned this work to tester volunteers. What I wanted was to find out which version introduced the crash and excluding the new features one by one, get some hint of what could be the cause. This ended up with me sending all the packages by email, and never getting answer.

The same thing happened with other small working packages that I assigned: I explain the goal, sent the files and got no replies.
As you can understand, it's impossible to work like this, except if I did everything by myself, which is something I can't afford with this lifestyle.

Gotcha. Well bud, if you aren't against quitting development then I wouldn't mind becoming your main tester. I have a fairly powerful PC and much experience with testing. I understand the importance of keeping contact and such, so we would need to set something up in order to get ahold of each other quick. I understand time is holding you back as well, so it's really up to you.

If you guys are itching for your RFC fix, there's always the great RFC modmods to try! RFC Europe, Sword of Islam, RFC Asian, RFC Classical World... you've got active modders there! I just don't see the will to get anything done in civ V. It hurt the community in many ways...

If you guys are itching for your RFC fix, there's always the great RFC modmods to try! RFC Europe, Sword of Islam, RFC Asian, RFC Classical World... you've got active modders there! I just don't see the will to get anything done in civ V. It hurt the community in many ways...
I strongly agree. Civ V is a good game, but unfortunatly it seems unfriendly to Rhye's concept. :( I miss so much stability and historicity in Civ V...

Well Civ V players, take a look at some RFC modmod. They are really good and some are still in development.

I didn't follow the civ5 Rhyes-mod development for many month now. After Brave new World, civ5 became a good game finally (same as always, it needed 2 addons to make civ-games good since civ3). So is there a real chance that Rhyes and Fall of Cicilization will be released for civ5? As Rhyes is very busy, is there a "team" which take care of development?

You left out the best one, RFC: Dawn of Civilization

Well I guess this is as good as dead. Such a shame since I played RFC more than Civ IV itself and I could envision myself doing the same for Civ V.

Rhye stated would be a scenario from him in Civ 5 but not news since...

Moderator Action: Merged with existing thread in C&C. :)

Top Bottom