Naval Units Rework Project

Speaking of which, I think we need another 'material' resource, a heavy ceramic that actually strengthens as it is damaged has been rumored to be possible and something along those lines would make up the hulls of future ships until we have Nano hulls, to which some suggestion as to what THAT material is currently defined as would be helpful.

How about the "Metamateral" resource that comes at Metamaterials (x95) tech?

Using your era categories ...

|Fuel|Hull|Tech
Steam Industrial|Coal|Wood OR Prime Timber OR Iron Wares OR Steel Wares
Late Steam Industrial|Coal|Iron Wares OR Steel Wares
WWI|Oil|Steel Wares
WWII|Oil|Steel Wares
After WW|Oil OR Uranium|Steel Wares
Cold War-Post Cold War|Oil OR Uranium|Steel Wares
Gulf War - Now|Oil OR Uranium OR Biofuel|Steel Wares|Computers
Next War |Microgenerators|Steel Wares OR Metamaterial Wares|Service Bots
Invisibility |Nanogenerators|Metamaterial Wares|Service Bots
Fusion |Shockwave Engines|?| Service Bots
Droid Navy|Shockwave Engines|?|Service Bots
Anti-Grav|Antigrav Generator|Superstrong Alloy Wares|Nanobots
Antimatter|Antimater|Megastrong Alloy Wares|?

Note its hard to plan this since you reversed the order of Fusion and Invisibility. Also the more I look the more I am thinking that te animal based droid navy might not fit in. In that it would go obsolete before its invented.

I have a question about property manipulations... Are any properties tracked on naval plots or are they completely property negated?

I can find open ocean tiles with crime, but they are rare. Near borders, ocean can have air/water pollution, crime & education, as can near-border coast (although in this case crime and education seem to be rare). In borders I can find, AP, WP, crime, disease and ed (on both coast and ocean). Didn't notice any tourism...

Not a conclusive answer, I know, but better than nothing:).

My only other input at this stage is: please make a Manoeuvre I equivalent promo for (most) Steam Ships etc. (can't really comment on later), so Iron Frigates can take it instead of ignoring terrain costs altogether. (Paddle Steamers probably shouldn't be eligible for it...)

It was very difficult for planes to sink ships even in WW2. It took a lot of planes and ships to sink the Bismark.

It was only in the 1980's, with the French Exocet missile that a ship was sunk by a plane only.

This is just dead wrong, though I suppose it depends on how you want to compare them. WW2 planes are much more efficient and finding and sinking ships than using other ships, when looking at the real (not Civ4) cost (in terms of materials and cash) of building planes vs. building ships.

That's an excellent collection of responses that will help tremendously. Thanks!

I'll figure something out on the tech thing H - but that helps a lot to have a start. Yes, some techs later will need to be moved around. You also suggested some new earlier techs and I'll be looking at some of that as well. Love the resources breakdown... very helpful!

Ok, here's the proposal regarding techs for these units (and some slight updates as to the units being planned.)

Page 1 goes over the exact tech prereqs for each unit.

Page 2 details the tech tree adjustments this entails.

Note to Hydro: Anti-grav ships have been planned as a part of the mid-Galactic era. The 'anti-gravity' of much earlier is considered to not be strong enough to have warranted the development of these ships at that time. That tech is significant but it's not the absolute gravitational field command achieved much later that enables these city sized vessels. The original Anti-grav tech may enable some vehicles that interact with naval but would come more from the land side than from the naval side where HUGE ships are the hallmark. Future developments to come I think. There's limitations in just looking at only the naval vessels at this time. Plus, it's possible that the planned event that would split off Droids into their own nation and deny Human civs Droid units and technologies while denying Droids Human units (and even some Human only techs) will bring about an alternative set of naval vessels that come in JUST after Droid Ships and keep them pertinent. But for now, the timestream assumes that during the era just after Comprehensive Cybernetics, humans are pretty much kicking back and letting the Droids do the work, including the warfare. At least until much later.

Anyhow, please review and make sure this won't cause any troubles elsewhere. It took a LONG time to work this up and I'm hoping it comes across as carefully planned as I intended it to be.

@TB

Ok so this make take me awhile to fully sort though. But here are the first parts ...

Armored Vehicles: Note - Should also require Motorized Transportation

Motorized Transportation IS a requirement for Armored Vehicles but its an OR requirement with Trench Warfare. If we changed it, then it should be Trench Warfare AND Motorized Transportation. Note it also requires Artillery but is then redundant with Trench Warfare requiring Artillery too.

Note that Vokarya' redo of the tech tree may be important to understanding why tech requirements are they way they are. See here.

Mechanized Warfare: Add Advanced Metalurgy as a prereq

I cannot see any problem with this.

Naval Aviation: Moved here and becomes a prerequisite for Aviation (which should be renamed to Advanced Aviation) and takes Industrialism, Flight and Radio as prereqs.

But we already have a tech called "Advanced Flight" (X78) won't that be confusing to call it "Advanced Aviation"? This seems like it might break the Aircraft upgrade paths if you do this. I ill have to go back to this later to see what it impact exactly.

Submarine Warfare: Should also require Motorized Transportation
Why? You know Motorized Transportation is like automobiles, not Combustion.

Coast Guard: Note, Moved here with prereqs of Submarine Warfare and Criminology

I don't know the Submarine Warfare preq. Criminology maybe. Note that ...

The modern Her Majesty's Coastguard of the United Kingdom was established in 1809 as the Waterguard, and was originally devoted to the prevention of smuggling as a department of the HM Customs and Excise authority. It was, however, also responsible for giving assistance to shipwrecks.

So ours may be a bit late on the tree. But the units they unlock are probably ok.

Amphibious Warfare: Add Advanced Metalurgy as a prereq
Could no either way on this.

Advanced Aviation: Renamed from Aviation
As I said before the name might be too confusing. Also if moved after Naval Avation then there may be a problem with the Airfield, Military Airbase and Willow's Run which are unlocked then.

Rocketry: Moved here with Prereqs of Advanced Metallurgy and Flight
This makes sense. I am not sure why it was not this way already especially with Aluminum Inc at Rocketry tech and you cannot get Aluminum without Advanced Metallurgy.

Advanced Flight: Moved here with Prereqs of Radar, Advanced Aviation and Logistics
Is Modern Physics still within the tech path? Is it redundant? Or whats going on here?

Modern Physics: Moved here with prereqs of Fission and Electronics
What about Cosmology, Compulsory Education and Zeppelins reqs?

Semiconductors: Swapped Positions with Computers and Adopts all relating prereqs
But the Vacuum tube computers! Computers come before Semiconductors! It also totally messes up things buildings I think.

Microwaves: Moved here. Prereqs of Modern Physics and Electronics.
But Radar is important to the development of Microwaves. Microwave towers came first and then lead lead to microwave ovens later. Without Radar it would not have lead to that.

Deep Sea Exploration: Add Radar as Prereq
Why? All you need is Sonar not Radar. Radar is for land/sky not underwater.

Jet Propulsion: prereqs change to Modern Physics and Advanced Flight
What happened to Manufacturing and Rocketry reqs?

Radio Astronomy: Moved here. Adjust Microwaves to primary prereq.
Um ok.

Computers: Swapped positions with Semiconductors (TECH_MICROCHIP) and inherrits all prereqs
I still do not agree with this. Sicne there were computers before this.

I will post more comments soon.

@TB

Ok time for part 2.

Inner City Gang Cultures (new): Prereqs: Counterculture (Forensics adds this as a second Prereq) Unlocks new crimes, Drug Distributors (coin, xp for criminals, +crime), and Somali Pirates

It needs a better name, like "Urban Culture". This could cover other areas if we do this. So like

Urban Culture
Req Tech: Counterculture AND Forensics AND Modern Sports

New Tech: Microwave Weaponry (x90/y15), Prereqs: TECH_MAGLEV, TECH_WARSIMULATION. Molecular Medicine and Microgenerators picks this up as an additional prereq. Becomes the prereq for any promos and units that use or add a Heat weapon
Ok. Sounds fine.

Railgun: Moved to (x95/y7), Prereqs: Metamaterials & Rapid Prototyping. Stops being prerequisite for Mass Driver(change to Fusion AND Railgun). Becomes prereq for Controled Plasma and Microgenerators. Plasma Armor is moved to Controlled Plasma prereq (for now). Electromagnetic armor will need to be moved to Electric Arc Weaponry but all others are good (for now). Becomes prereq for Heavy Railgun. Microgenerators becomes necessary for Rapid Railguns as well and Handheld Railguns come later.
Is the Mass Driver still require this tech through other techs? Cause the Mass Driver is like a GIANT railgun.

New Tech: Weaponized Lasers (x96/y9), Prereqs: TECH_LEDLIGHTING & Microgenerators. Becomes Prereq for Invisibility, Asteroid Mining, Fusion and laser weapons promos and units.
Guess Laser Battery (Fusion) building will need to be moved here. Note that it replaces the Railgun Battery (Raillgun). That is going to be a very short time between. In fact will it then create a situation where you can research Weaponized Lasers before Railguns?

Invisibility: Moved here with Prereqs of: Graphene Alloys & Rapid Prototyping & Quantum Teleportation. Becomes a prereq for Mesh Networks
I thin this will break the Nanosatelite Constilition. It will need to be moved to somewhere around x107. Maye there could be some sort of "Cloaking" tech that makes something complete invisible to other spectrum. Also the Peace Maker and YAM nukes will need to be moved too. Note sure about the Special Infantry.

New Tech: Electric Arc Weaponry (x99/y11) Prereq: Fusion. Becomes additional Prereq for Shockwave Engine and Wireless Electricity. Is prereq for any EMP or Electric Weapon System (promos and units)
Um ok.

New Tech: Sonic Telekinetics (x101/y7), Prereqs: Holographics, Lunar Manufacturing, Mass Driver. Becomes secondary prereq of Planetary Manufacturing and the primary for Electromagnetic Field Shielding. Is the prereq for Any units/promos that have a sonic attack and Sonic Shields
Why Lunar Manufacturing and Mass Driver? Maybe I am confused on what this is.

Internal Shockwave Engine: Add Augment Consumables as primary prereq
Why would Geneticlly altered food be a requirement for a Fusion Engine? You pulling a BTTF Mr. Fusion here?

New Tech: Electromagnetic Field Shielding. (x102/y7), Prereqs: Sonic Telekinetics, Plastic Electronics, Mesh Networks. Becomes primary prereq of Wireless Electricity and is the Prereq of Energy Shields on vehicles

How is this different from Shielding (x112) tech?

Wireless Electricity: prereq for UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_BACKUP_HANDHELD_RAILGUN & UNITCOMBAT_WEAPON_DIST_HANDHELD_RAILGUN
Um ok.

Photon Thermodynamics: the advent of handheld laser weaponry
Sounds good. So like Laser Infantry etc.

New Tech: Ion Beam Weaponry (x105/y15) Prereqs: Superstrong Alloys, Amplified Wavelengths, Photon Thermodynamics, and War Machines. Becomes primary prerq of Electromagnetic Voltage. Is the main prerequisite for any units/promos that have an Ion Weapon
Um ok.

New Tech: Gravity Control (x123/y13), Prereqs: Attometer Engineering. Becomes Prereq for Artificial Planets, Interstellar Colonization (and primary prereq for more below.) Actual achievements at this point are probably going to be more based on further improvements in ferrying from a planet to its moons. Deep Sea exploration and further Deep Sea colonization could benefit here as well, either directly or as a derivative.

I think this is already covered with Antigrav tech since if you can remove gravity you can also make gravity. Which is why Gravity Traps are under Antigrav tech.

Weaponized Disintigration: Note, should swap primary and secondary prereqs for the sake of the chart display.
Sounds fine.

New Tech: Weaponized Gravity Fields (x124/y13), Prereqs Gravity Control, Advanced War Machines. Becomes Secondary Prereq for Singularity Stabilization.
See my other comment before.

New Tech: Phasing (x128/y3) Prereqs Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators and Wormhole Communications (where some detection of phasing may also exist). Becomes a prereq for Time Travel. Prereq for any Phasing based technological abilities.
I am not sure what you mean.

Lastly don't forget that Mr Azure still had a bunch of ideas for Galactic era techs but never got to implement them.

Note to Hydro: Anti-grav ships have been planned as a part of the mid-Galactic era. The 'anti-gravity' of much earlier is considered to not be strong enough to have warranted the development of these ships at that time. That tech is significant but it's not the absolute gravitational field command achieved much later that enables these city sized vessels. The original Anti-grav tech may enable some vehicles that interact with naval but would come more from the land side than from the naval side where HUGE ships are the hallmark. Future developments to come I think. There's limitations in just looking at only the naval vessels at this time. Plus, it's possible that the planned event that would split off Droids into their own nation and deny Human civs Droid units and technologies while denying Droids Human units (and even some Human only techs) will bring about an alternative set of naval vessels that come in JUST after Droid Ships and keep them pertinent. But for now, the timestream assumes that during the era just after Comprehensive Cybernetics, humans are pretty much kicking back and letting the Droids do the work, including the warfare. At least until much later.

So wait why is Antigrv separated into Mid-Transhuman and Mid Galactic? If anti-gravity why should the weight of the ship matter?

Motorized Transportation IS a requirement for Armored Vehicles but its an OR requirement with Trench Warfare. If we changed it, then it should be Trench Warfare AND Motorized Transportation. Note it also requires Artillery but is then redundant with Trench Warfare requiring Artillery too.

Note that Vokarya' redo of the tech tree may be important to understanding why tech requirements are they way they are. See here.
This is mostly a convenience factor as it enforces that Combat Classes can be assumable to apply for unlocking units. I'd be quite happy to implement the AND solution as any OR situation would've appeared as an absolute prereq when I was looking at the path to get to a tech on the tech tree in-game when making this determination so I would've seen Trench Warfare as the selected OR path and not realized there was an option anyhow. Trench Warfare AND Motorized Transportation sounds good.

I cannot see any problem with this.
This was again for maintaining Combat Class access integrity. Cool then.

But we already have a tech called "Advanced Flight" (X78) won't that be confusing to call it "Advanced Aviation"? This seems like it might break the Aircraft upgrade paths if you do this. I ill have to go back to this later to see what it impact exactly.
We're not moving Aviation. It stays put. It's Naval Aviation that's being moved before Aviation and it doesn't sound right to have Naval Aviation being before Aviation is discovered.

This is nevertheless quite important to do. The Early Carrier (renamed simply Carrier in this workup) and Seaplane fit quite perfectly both historically and strategically in the new position and are much too late 2 columns later (wwI and II areas are pretty jam packed so a lot happens in 2 columns!) while everything that happens at Aviation needs to stay right where it is.

So renaming Aviation to Advanced Aviation is an attempt to not make it sound like something that should've come before Naval Aviation. We could make it 'Enhanced Aviation' instead to differentiate from Advanced Flight if you like.

Why? You know Motorized Transportation is like automobiles, not Combustion.
Combat Class integrity and logically without the advancing developments in engine design, compacting it for improved and more controlled environments in use in subs would seem to be an out of place stage of development.

I don't know the Submarine Warfare preq. Criminology maybe. Note that ...

So ours may be a bit late on the tree. But the units they unlock are probably ok.
I'm sure the concept was around earlier than this in RL but I'm basing it on units and reactions to other units coming into play. This is mostly a military tech in the first place and this move makes the naval progress make sense and keeps a few things from crowding as well as enforces unit combat integrity for those units being unlocked at this tech.

Could no either way on this.(RE: Amphib Warfare prereq of Advanced Metallurgy)
I believe this came up as a way to maintain Combat Class integrity for something later down the line that also required Amphib Warfare. I don't remember exactly.

As I said before the name might be too confusing. Also if moved after Naval Avation then there may be a problem with the Airfield, Military Airbase and Willow's Run which are unlocked then.
The only plane unlocked before this by putting Naval Aviation before this tech would be the Seaplane which wouldn't be built for use with land based airfields anyhow. Everything at this tech should just stay put. Surprisingly, wikipedia research confirmed for me that we had the earliest functional carriers in place before bi-planes were made obsolete.

This makes sense. I am not sure why it was not this way already especially with Aluminum Inc at Rocketry tech and you cannot get Aluminum without Advanced Metallurgy.
Yeah, this was just something I noticed being out of place. V1s were developed in WWII not just before or at the beginning of WWI! It was extremely early in its current position.

Is Modern Physics still within the tech path? Is it redundant? Or whats going on here?
It's not within the tech path. I know it seems like it would fit better but the units unlocked at Advanced Flight are coming far too late trying to push it behind Modern Physics. I'm sure there was more rationale for this - I should've made better notes on why's and wherefores.

What about Cosmology, Compulsory Education and Zeppelins reqs?
Those were added in as extra prereqs that I had not taken notice of. Sure... we should probably keep those on the tech. I'd question the necessity of Zeppelins though.

But the Vacuum tube computers! Computers come before Semiconductors! It also totally messes up things buildings I think.
Vacuum tube computing would be inclusive in Electronics. Vacuum tube computers do not unlock Diskettes, Video Games and most of the buildings unlocked at this tech that make it clear its intended to be the Personal Computer tech. The Microchip was absolutely a prerequisite for these developments.

As for the Main Battle Tank... I'm not sure where it should fall... without full evaluation of land units, it appears about right where it is so keeping it in the same positions though the techs would change seems right.

But Radar is important to the development of Microwaves. Microwave towers came first and then lead lead to microwave ovens later. Without Radar it would not have lead to that.
I probably meant to make that Radar instead of Electronics since with this layout, Modern Physics would also require Electronics (Early computing would've been necessary to crunch numbers for significant advances in physics) and would therefore make Electronics redundant. This doesn't move Microwaves into the 80s or anything... I realize it's much greater in application and had been around for a while before that point.

Why? All you need is Sonar not Radar. Radar is for land/sky not underwater.
It was 2 reasons. 1 was gamey... Something about maintaining Combat Class integrity yada yada somewhere down the line. The other was about a presumption that there would be further radio technologies stemming from Radar development that enabled low frequency transmissions that allow deep sea vessels to communicate with the surface rather than being in a blackout.

What happened to Manufacturing and Rocketry reqs?
If they aren't included as inherited as proposed then I'd agree we should add Manufacturing and Rocketry - both seem important to make sure are included.

I still do not agree with this. Sicne there were computers before this.
Yes, but not what we think of when we think of computers today. Strongly feel those early forms of computers are much better encompassed within Electronics. Those early computers had a huge impact in making further progress, yes, but they're usage and value exploded with the microchip and the personal computer stages.

I will post more comments soon.
I'm out of time to respond to the rest so will after work.

However to answer a number of them:
Anti-grav: Ability to reverse the gravitational pull on a given object or in a given region. Can be useful for giving lift yes but water bouyancies and such denied the ability to make ships with as much utility until much later. They could've made the Droid ships fly or hover and probably do to lift them out of the water but then thrust mechanisms would differ above or below as AG fields at this stage would not CREATE anything but lateral movement (and submerging would have to fight bouyancy so most land units with Anti-grav, while being able to hover over water, would not be so good at diving into it.)

Gravity Control: Ability to generate and manipulate powerful and wide gravitational fields that are not mass dependent. Basically, absolute technological telekinetics has been completely unlocked and with enough energy can manipulate gravity fields to destroy planets and with a little more work, control the forces in and around black holes, even so far as to create or destroy them. This is not 'anti' gravity. This is gravity +/- at will.

2 very different stages of development wouldn't you agree? Land units with Anti-Grav capabilities would still make poor submersive units until much later but will be a huge part of what the Droid Navies would have to adapt to fighting as land and sea warfare begin to blend significantly at this stage.

Phasing: A bi-dimensional state of existence that makes one completely immaterial but remaining capable of interacting with our physical reality in some limited ways, particularly if weapons emissions are calibrated to enable attack from a phased state. It's like being a true ghost really. Term came into application with Kitty Pride (Shadowcat) of the X-Men.

We're not moving Aviation. It stays put. It's Naval Aviation that's being moved before Aviation and it doesn't sound right to have Naval Aviation being before Aviation is discovered.

This is nevertheless quite important to do. The Early Carrier (renamed simply Carrier in this workup) and Seaplane fit quite perfectly both historically and strategically in the new position and are much too late 2 columns later (wwI and II areas are pretty jam packed so a lot happens in 2 columns!) while everything that happens at Aviation needs to stay right where it is.

So renaming Aviation to Advanced Aviation is an attempt to not make it sound like something that should've come before Naval Aviation. We could make it 'Enhanced Aviation' instead to differentiate from Advanced Flight if you like.

How about instead of renaming Aviation you rename Naval Aviation to "Naval Flight"? And then rename "Advanced Flight" to "Advanced Aviation"? Thus like ...

- Flight
- Naval Flight
- Aviation
- Advanced Aviation

Combat Class integrity and logically without the advancing developments in engine design, compacting it for improved and more controlled environments in use in subs would seem to be an out of place stage of development.

Ok I guess. :undecide:

I'm sure the concept was around earlier than this in RL but I'm basing it on units and reactions to other units coming into play. This is mostly a military tech in the first place and this move makes the naval progress make sense and keeps a few things from crowding as well as enforces unit combat integrity for those units being unlocked at this tech.

So its more about keeping the player moving along the tree without having too many trailing techs or should I say getting to far ahead in beelining.

The only plane unlocked before this by putting Naval Aviation before this tech would be the Seaplane which wouldn't be built for use with land based airfields anyhow. Everything at this tech should just stay put. Surprisingly, wikipedia research confirmed for me that we had the earliest functional carriers in place before bi-planes were made obsolete.

See above I think Renaming Naval Aviation to Naval Flight is the best way to go.

It's not within the tech path. I know it seems like it would fit better but the units unlocked at Advanced Flight are coming far too late trying to push it behind Modern Physics. I'm sure there was more rationale for this - I should've made better notes on why's and wherefores.

I have not looked too deep into this but if Modern Physics is not within the tech line anymore it may break some techs and/or buildings. So we should look into this closely to see how it impact that stuff.

Those were added in as extra prereqs that I had not taken notice of. Sure... we should probably keep those on the tech. I'd question the necessity of Zeppelins though.

We would have to look up Vokarya's on the Zeplins but I am guessing it was important in keeping the player from getting to far ahead without knowing important techs.

Vacuum tube computing would be inclusive in Electronics. Vacuum tube computers do not unlock Diskettes, Video Games and most of the buildings unlocked at this tech that make it clear its intended to be the Personal Computer tech. The Microchip was absolutely a prerequisite for these developments.

As for the Main Battle Tank... I'm not sure where it should fall... without full evaluation of land units, it appears about right where it is so keeping it in the same positions though the techs would change seems right.

Oh I see what you mean because of the buildings it unlocks. I think we may need like a "Vacuum Tube Computing" or just "Vacuum Tubes" tech.

I probably meant to make that Radar instead of Electronics since with this layout, Modern Physics would also require Electronics (Early computing would've been necessary to crunch numbers for significant advances in physics) and would therefore make Electronics redundant. This doesn't move Microwaves into the 80s or anything... I realize it's much greater in application and had been around for a while before that point.

Well electronics is important too I suggest you just make it require Radar AND Modern Physics AND Electronics. Unless one of those is redundant.

It was 2 reasons. 1 was gamey... Something about maintaining Combat Class integrity yada yada somewhere down the line. The other was about a presumption that there would be further radio technologies stemming from Radar development that enabled low frequency transmissions that allow deep sea vessels to communicate with the surface rather than being in a blackout.

I can roll with that, however it just means from looking on the tree it won't look as cool to have Sonar lead to Deep Sea Exploration.

If they aren't included as inherited as proposed then I'd agree we should add Manufacturing and Rocketry - both seem important to make sure are included.

Well we should check to make sure they do either directly or induirectly through the other techs requirements.

Yes, but not what we think of when we think of computers today. Strongly feel those early forms of computers are much better encompassed within Electronics. Those early computers had a huge impact in making further progress, yes, but they're usage and value exploded with the microchip and the personal computer stages.

See my post above.

However to answer a number of them:
Anti-grav: Ability to reverse the gravitational pull on a given object or in a given region. Can be useful for giving lift yes but water bouyancies and such denied the ability to make ships with as much utility until much later. They could've made the Droid ships fly or hover and probably do to lift them out of the water but then thrust mechanisms would differ above or below as AG fields at this stage would not CREATE anything but lateral movement (and submerging would have to fight bouyancy so most land units with Anti-grav, while being able to hover over water, would not be so good at diving into it.)

Gravity Control: Ability to generate and manipulate powerful and wide gravitational fields that are not mass dependent. Basically, absolute technological telekinetics has been completely unlocked and with enough energy can manipulate gravity fields to destroy planets and with a little more work, control the forces in and around black holes, even so far as to create or destroy them. This is not 'anti' gravity. This is gravity +/- at will.

2 very different stages of development wouldn't you agree? Land units with Anti-Grav capabilities would still make poor submersive units until much later but will be a huge part of what the Droid Navies would have to adapt to fighting as land and sea warfare begin to blend significantly at this stage.

I am not really satisfied with this but, I can go with the idea that gravity/antigrav takes a lot of energy to do so its like taking the power of a sun for antigrav and taking the power of many suns for gravity control.

Phasing: A bi-dimensional state of existence that makes one completely immaterial but remaining capable of interacting with our physical reality in some limited ways, particularly if weapons emissions are calibrated to enable attack from a phased state. It's like being a true ghost really. Term came into application with Kitty Pride (Shadowcat) of the X-Men.

I think your thinking of Transverse Euclidean Geometry. Infact Let me look up the stuff from Civ Fuehrer back with the AtoM mod.

- Transverse Euclidean Geometry
--- First Four Dimensional Animal(TP)
--- 4D Melee Unit(s)(shot projectiles won't be able to toggle dimensional plane in which it exists to physically damage 3D objects)

-Dual-flux Quantum Temporal Rift
--- Quantum Temporal Rift Inducer(WW)
--- Omni-Chronology Laboratory (NW)
--- Temporal Suspension Animator Factory
--- Temporally Suspended Droid

- Endogenous Euclidean Propulsion
--- 4D UAVs
--- 4D USVs (Unmanned Spacial Vehicles)

- Euclidean 5-Space Geometry
--- 5D Artifical Gravity

As you can see Transverse Euclidean Geometry covers "Phasing" and "Euclidean 5-Space Geometry" covers "Gravity Control".

:)

Vacuum tubes were used in early radios - I built a few as a hobby in the late 1950's.

Also they were used in an early computer at Bletchley Park UK - during WW2, to break the German cypher codes. This was in the 1940s. Probably the first electrical computer.

Electronics were not widely available till some time in the 1960s. I believe the first electronic use was by an IBM computer in 1955.

As I lived through this transitional period as a child and then a teenager (studying electronics - as part of a Radio Telegraphy job on ships.). Vacuum tubes and electronic chips were considered to be miles apart.

Do not believe what you may read on Wikipedia. It is like adding the horse and cart and the car to the same tech.

Oh I see what you mean because of the buildings it unlocks. I think we may need like a "Vacuum Tube Computing" or just "Vacuum Tubes" tech.

Agree. This should also unlock a Bletchley Park Wonder later.

Remember vacuum tubes were used for radio before WW2. Can not verify this but they were probably only considered for computing during the war.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Vacuum tubes were used in early radios - I built a few as a hobby in the late 1950's.

Also they were used in an early computer at Bletchley Park UK - during WW2, to break the German cypher codes. This was in the 1940s. Probably the first electrical computer.

Electronics were not widely available till some time in the 1960s. I believe the first electronic use was by an IBM computer in 1955.

As I lived through this transitional period as a child and then a teenager (studying electronics - as part of a Radio Telegraphy job on ships.). Vacuum tubes and electronic chips were considered to be miles apart.

Do not believe what you may read on Wikipedia. It is like adding the horse and cart and the car to the same tech.

Remember vacuum tubes were used for radio before WW2. Can not verify this but they were probably only considered for computing during the war.

Vacuum tubes played a big part in early magnetic tape recorders. In the late 60's the vacuum tube was replaced with the transistor. Magnetic tape was still used in university computer labs as late as the early 1980's. ( I had a short sighted Cobol Prof in 1980 that still kept us using punch cards when the CRTs were available in the computing labs. ((She caused me to eventually change majors. Only class I ever failed and I had a 4.0 grade avg before that semester. :mad: :p And by switching Majors when I did I never got my degree. That's what really hurt. :( )))

I also used magnetic tape recorders and Radios in the Military in the early 70's as part of my MOS.

JosEPh

This may create a lot of redundancies to multi-quote and split up every comment but I didn't get a chance this morning to address some things in your second reply so it's necessary for me to do this here... I'll try to lump topics at least.

It needs a better name, like "Urban Culture". This could cover other areas if we do this. So like

Urban Culture
Req Tech: Counterculture AND Forensics AND Modern Sports
I agree the name needs improved and I was thinking similarly but I'd prefer Urban Gangs at least as it really denotes the tech to be a Crime tech as it's intended.

Is the Mass Driver still require this tech through other techs? Cause the Mass Driver is like a GIANT railgun.
I figured that was what Mass Driver was and yes, along this course it maintains a prereq of Railgun.

Guess Laser Battery (Fusion) building will need to be moved here. Note that it replaces the Railgun Battery (Raillgun). That is going to be a very short time between. In fact will it then create a situation where you can research Weaponized Lasers before Railguns?
Good catch. We have a few options here to solve this. I would propose:

1) Make them run concurrent. If you look at our current tech progress in RL we're currently making rapid progress on both and we do actually have some weaponized laser systems in use now. They are mostly in use as missile interception weaponry but can be used to great effect against other air forces as well.

2) Therefore the Railgun (being a Heavy Railgun - fires very heavy and hugely impacting shots but takes a bit to cool off between uses to do so safely so does not fire at a rate much greater than our current artillery batteries) Battery would be an anti-ground unit building while...

3) The Laser Battery would have a much lesser (but compounding) effect on ground units (and would increase the minimum defense for entry since it would have a lethal effect on those units that approach closely) but would also contain some enhancement to interception (if a new tag is needed for this I'll be happy to oblige as part of the project.)

4) The Laser Battery as you've probably got it currently envisioned (as a suitable replacement for the Railgun battery) would probably be best encompassed as an Ion Battery building.

5) Rapid Railgun Batteries would also open up at Microgenerators and I don't see it really obsoleting or being an upgrade of any of the above so perhaps should also run concurrent and allow cities to really grow strong in their defenses.

We'll have to further evaluate these particular buildings very soon I think. For now, the most appropriate action would be to keep Railgun Battery at Railguns and rename the Laser Battery to Ion Battery and move it to Ion Weaponry to give them enough time between making Ion Batteries the upgrade that replaces the Railgun Battery.

I thin this will break the Nanosatelite Constilition. It will need to be moved to somewhere around x107. Maye there could be some sort of "Cloaking" tech that makes something complete invisible to other spectrum. Also the Peace Maker and YAM nukes will need to be moved too. Note sure about the Special Infantry.
Yeah this was a hotspot I may have overlooked trying to patch up at the time I was working on this. However...

I did come to realize that there's really two degrees of Invisibility development we're talking about here. One (the one we nearly have) is based on new materials that bend light as it hits the object and other optical tricks. It makes for an invisibility that is not absolute and total. Invisible objects and people can be spotted as there are slight disturbances that allow detection for the truly alert to catch onto.

The second phase, the one I think was reflected in the original Invisibility tech placement, would be photonic field manipulation. I'd been thinking of including photon shields anyhow. They would absolutely bend light around the object or person in a radius around the object. This would be an absolute defense against laser weaponry as well and I've got an interesting concept coming together about shielding that should make the late game quite intriguing strategically (having to decide what kind of shielding to use on your units as they can't overlap :evil:) and a need for a perfect defense against lasers and strong defense against Ion beams had emerged as a gap in that scheme. So I was thinking about putting such a tech in anyhow.

Calling this technology Cloaking would actually fit quite well there as my layout doesn't have ships with the built-in ability until Droid ships and the current invisibility tech lies between Shockwave and Droid ships. This will enable me to generate some cool interactions with equipment for upgrading Shockwave ships and will enable the Droid ships nicely. Since the photon shielding would BE cloaking then I don't have to struggle to try to make all Droid ships have it (just enforce that those that do ALSO have Photon rather than other forms of shielding.)

So yeah, perfect. Simply rename the current invis tech to be Cloaking really makes a perfect fit.

I'll work in Photon Shields around that as well then.

As for the Special Infantry, I suspect there will be a lot of eventual repositioning of land units with similar evaluations to come so I'm not going to stress on that at the moment. I suppose we can leave it at Cloaking for now.

Hydro said:
I said:
New Tech: Electric Arc Weaponry (x99/y11) Prereq: Fusion. Becomes additional Prereq for Shockwave Engine and Wireless Electricity. Is prereq for any EMP or Electric Weapon System (promos and units)
Um ok.
I needed to shift the weaponry forward a bit on the tree so as to allow the ships to bundle a little closer together and not start intruding too closely to the Droid ships. There also appeared to be some other benefits. Wireless Electricity's definition takes a little more refinement in doing this as it becomes a bit of a derivative of the research that takes place here where we weaponize electricity enough to control it to create huge non-nuclear bursts and arc beams directed as we will. Wireless Electricity then becomes the advancement of this (like nuclear power was for fusion) research that allows us to now transfer electrical energy from distant sources to receiving devices that even foot soldiers can receive and now enables the wielding, by hand, of very powerful weaponry that used to require entire reactors to power (in particular, the thinking has extended to Handheld (rapid) Railguns as well as handheld electrical weaponry at this point.)

Hope that clarifies my thinking a bit.

Why Lunar Manufacturing and Mass Driver? Maybe I am confused on what this is.
1) Lunar Manufacturing becomes a major inspiration for the scientists to start considering better ways to transport objects than the mechanical methods we have so far. It becomes a study platform as initially use on Earth is considered a bit dangerous to the very integrity of the planet tectonics.

2) Adaptation of Mass Driver technologies actually lead directly to what enables our command of sound to this extent. I theorize that it's found that by running a Mass Driver 'dry' it creates such a soundwave that it can forcefully push objects about. Adaptations to miniaturize and then further adaptations to shape these sound waves enables the final tech discovery of Sonic Telekinetics, the application of which unlocks Sonic Shielding and Sonic Blast weaponry.

Note: the theories surrounding this technology are already well proven in RL. Generating controlled sound waves in such volume and shaping it with ease is what we lack. Therefore it surely wouldn't be too far off from where we are now when we can work with the technology with this degree of effectiveness.

Why would Geneticlly altered food be a requirement for a Fusion Engine? You pulling a BTTF Mr. Fusion here?
A great deal of energy is necessary to build up to the capacity to safely contain such a smallscale fusion reaction. An element of the engine design allows us to (as in Back to the Future) use castoff biological material to fuel the building energies necessary to push to the point where the reaction may be maintained. Additionally, breaking them down into the materials needed to generate the reaction takes place inside the engine as well (some very advanced biological chemistry enables us to rebond all the materials, even at a submolecular level, into fusionable fuel thus obsoleting the need for tricky uranium handling.) This mechanism would have been further explored and developed at the stage of Enhanced Consumables so it's the advancements in chemistry and physics that are taking place there that eventually enable the invention and application of the Shockwave engine, both for personal and military application.

And people love it because it's very clean - and advanced work with Fusion at this point has made it quite safe as we can kill the switch VERY quickly and will default to a rapid shutdown if suffering intense and sudden damage. Thus finally it's actually safe to use as a vehicular energy source.

How is this different from Shielding (x112) tech?
Shielding represents something more advanced. Electromagnetic Shielding would be a repellent and a deflecting field but can be penetrated while Shielding is far more solid. In a sense, Shielding represents 'advanced shielding' while 'advanced shielding' a magnitude of power beyond that. I would think of an Electromagnetic Shield as a single repelling field and Shielding as an actual force field - a Pair of extremely HIGH powered Electromagnetic Shields sandwiching a layer of air with such compression that it becomes solid thus enabling a far more material deflection and protection.

I may yet split the Energy Shield CC into 3 entirely different categories to represent all three of these stages but initially I've been thinking that I'd keep them all as 'Energy Shields' and simply upgrade them via stages of equipment eventually.

Gamewise, Shielding comes far toooooo late for Combat Class plans and far too close to Advanced Shielding to enable gradiated progression among unit upgrade paths. Putting Electromagnetic Shielding where proposed will enable greater granularity to show up in unit upgrade chains and equipment development.

Sounds good. So like Laser Infantry etc.
Yes... placing it a bit later than building and large vehicular applications of laser weapons that take a lot of energy and size such that effective handheld lasers need a bit more development to make truly useful in comparison to other concurrent weapons available to ground soldiers. At Wireless Electricity and Exoskeletal Armor you almost have it (and it's already been applied to large Mechs much earlier) but a little work to greatly enhance the handheld laser makes it finally a truly lethal handheld weapon.

I said:
New Tech: Ion Beam Weaponry (x105/y15) Prereqs: Superstrong Alloys, Amplified Wavelengths, Photon Thermodynamics, and War Machines. Becomes primary prerq of Electromagnetic Voltage. Is the main prerequisite for any units/promos that have an Ion Weapon
Um ok.
To clarify, an Ion Beam is basically what is created when you turn on a particle accelerator. Miniaturized so that it doesn't require miles of tubing (though still requiring a unit of fairly large size so is only ever Large Vehicular or Building based) and weaponized, these throw streams of super accelerated molecules (what type matters little here as the speed makes such physics almost irrelevant) at the enemy and thus become something like a laser but a bit more 'physical' and far more penetrating and powerful. Just requires a LOT of energy.

The result is a cutting beam that has the power shown by Cyclops in the Wolverine: X-Men origins movie.

I know there are later beam techs (much later) such as Disintegration and Anti-Matter but these are different. Disintigration is a field disruption ray that causes matter to break down to the sub-molecular level and scatter. Anti-Matter Beams basically completely eradicate matter by completely negating its existence. They're almost entirely equivalent in strength and capacity but differ in ranges of shaping these forces in weaponized contexts and how the shield types interact with them. Ion Beams, however, are very one-trick ponies with an unparallelled capacity to puncture.

The main weakness of an Ion Beam is that it CAN be deflected (or defracted) by some materials and electromagnetic forces at the right angles and an opposing beam targeted just right CAN counter the majority of the stream for a moment until both stream sources are destroyed by what particles can sneak through the oncoming particles. For its induction, it's an absolutely devastating weapon. It takes some further time and development to miniaturize it enough to be on anything BUT a massive Shockwave Battleship. (Keeping with the Biggest, Baddest, Newest philosophy of Battleship roles on these charts.)

How about instead of renaming Aviation you rename Naval Aviation to "Naval Flight"? And then rename "Advanced Flight" to "Advanced Aviation"? Thus like ...

- Flight
- Naval Flight
- Aviation
- Advanced Aviation
Works for me. Or simply rename Naval Aviation to Naval Flight and keep Advanced Aviation as the moniker seems to work for me.

So its more about keeping the player moving along the tree without having too many trailing techs or should I say getting to far ahead in beelining.
It's about being able to make some assumptions about what Combat Classes would've been unlocked 'by this point'. Yes, simplifying somewhat but it also makes sense.

I have not looked too deep into this but if Modern Physics is not within the tech line anymore it may break some techs and/or buildings. So we should look into this closely to see how it impact that stuff.
Well... keep looking and I'll keep looking but I think it should be ok from all I could see.

We would have to look up Vokarya's on the Zeplins but I am guessing it was important in keeping the player from getting to far ahead without knowing important techs.
Since only a few nations developed Zeplins I'd be keen to make it an optional tech entirely.

Well electronics is important too I suggest you just make it require Radar AND Modern Physics AND Electronics. Unless one of those is redundant.
Under this proposal Electronics is necessary for Modern Physics so it would be redundant.

I can roll with that, however it just means from looking on the tree it won't look as cool to have Sonar lead to Deep Sea Exploration.
Sonar IS a prereq for Radar...

Well we should check to make sure they do either directly or induirectly through the other techs requirements.
I looked and they don't so it was a good catch on your part.

I think this is already covered with Antigrav tech since if you can remove gravity you can also make gravity. Which is why Gravity Traps are under Antigrav tech.
Anti-grav tech would allow an item to be attached to another item that forces that item to 'fall' away from the Earth, inversing the gravitational pull of existing gravitational fields. It could create a small local field that causes things within it to behave as if gravity has been reversed within this location. It cannot create or remove gravity itself. It can only enhance the effect, counter the effect or inverse the effect of an existing source of gravity (such as the planet.) In essence it's much like a very powerful density control, able to create even an 'inverse' density.

We actually can do this already. Not with Fields as has been proposed here, but with our scant understanding of the odd physics involved in mono-atomic gold. It's been found that heating mono-atomic gold it, unlike anything else we know of in nature, actually loses density at a molecular level. Superheated it's capable of taking an inverse density (aka it gets to the point where it floats rather than sinks or repels rather than attracts in reaction to gravitational force.) This IS antigravity. We have it... it just takes far too much power to do anything significant with it, far too much heat to contain to a useful degree. And keeping the gold mono-atomic during all these heatings and coolings becomes a trick. Gold's natural form is bi-atomic meaning it's bonded to itself in pairs when found naturally. It's a very fascinating subject though. I've based my own Sci-Fi writings on this effect among other theories regarding mono-atomic metals.

So wait why is Antigrv separated into Mid-Transhuman and Mid Galactic? If anti-gravity why should the weight of the ship matter?
At true Gravitation Control the size and weight of the ship does become meaningless but at Anti-gravity, the density of the object does need to be countered by a flow of energy pouring into the mechanism by which the gravity is countered and potentially reversed. The more energy poured into that, the more it may take away from weapon systems, thus the limits of Wireless Electricity transfers are utilized for the Medium sized land based hovering vehicles with their local generator mechanisms powering their weapons. It's just too much at this stage for huge naval vessels to be completely anti-grav capable though anti-grav IS used to assist in the construction and navigation of such vehicles. Anti-grav certainly helps with getting materials, crews and smaller ships into orbit and definitely helps with space navigation a lot.

I am not really satisfied with this but, I can go with the idea that gravity/antigrav takes a lot of energy to do so its like taking the power of a sun for antigrav and taking the power of many suns for gravity control.
Yes, power would be a factor. Plus, if Anti-Gravity technology can only make an object lighter or heavier in relationship to existing gravitation fields then it cannot create a thrust of its own except to create thrust away from the planet or towards it. It would not be able to create forward cross-planet motion and even an object of great weight would still find the water barrier to be difficult to cross with absolute ease. Whales, for example, would be crushed on the surface of the land by their own weight while are bouyant enough to be lightly suspended in the water. Sea/Air ships would encounter modularization difficulties in transitioning between the two seamlessly to the point that it's more effective to differentiate the roles of Air and Sea still while the Land is empowered to adopt the whole planet (except water subsurface though they can probably move up and down in the seas and with some limits side to side, forward and back, but nothing like the maneuverability under the waves as these Droid ships would possess).

It's just not the same as using complete control of gravitational energy fields to move your ship about wherever you wish it to go. That sort of power could tunnel as easily as it can dive but wouldn't want to do so with such sizes as the fractures in the Earth would create horrific tectonic events planetwide.

That and since power is a factor and is not absolutely free and in endless volumes yet, it's more optimal for the seas themselves to be navigated by more dedicated machines.

I have some actual game dynamics in mind here to differentiate submerged vs surface game states for units on plots. (A simplistic method of dividing abilities to interact useful for now until later development of more depth and elevation management on units.)

"Euclidean 5-Space Geometry" covers "Gravity Control".
Then we should just kill that tech. Gravity Control should precede the ability to stabilize a singularity wouldn't you think? Without Gravity Control there's really no way to even approach a singularity safely. Even Planet and Star creation seems to be something that could reasonably be expected would come AFTER such field control.

I'm not a fan of the 'Euclidean' techs in general really since they don't give a clue to any non-physicist what they actually do unless you research the tech in the pedia perhaps.

I can see taking Gravity Control away from the prereqs for Interstellar Colonization except that the Gravity Field engines that this naval phase is indicating is implied here as a prerequisite for the HUGE seedships that have the same operational capabilities as these naval vessels in addition to interstellar thrust engines (which these military monstrosities DON'T have so as to maintain a huge focus on weapon systems - they'd be far more powerful than most interstellar ships until MUCH larger vessels and would probably upgrade later into fleet ships very similar to Star Destroyers from Star Wars that DO merge this amount of military might with long range deep space exploration capabilities.)

This actually presumes that we'll be extending the Galactic era beyond this point significantly. I know I'd like to see a lot more there. But what we have now is a good point to develop up to at the moment imo.

5 space geometry just sits there at the moment as a nearly useless and purposeless rung along the route to the last tech. And I don't think I'd be alone in reading it and thinking "Gee... what the hell does that mean?" and leaving it at that.

No offense intended to CF who I'm sure based this model on some good theoretical research. Just not so good for game design imo. And despite the BEST physics theories of our modern era, SOME assumptions we're currently making are GOING to prove false. Easy enough to envision this being one of them since it's terribly theoretical and alternative theories not only exist but could clearly tweak our current understandings of how we'll enable ourselves to do something (in this case generation of gravitational fields.)

H said:
I think your thinking of Transverse Euclidean Geometry. Infact Let me look up the stuff from Civ Fuehrer back with the AtoM mod.

As you can see Transverse Euclidean Geometry covers "Phasing"
So it would seem. Sorta.

If you look at the tech tree and what it unlocks and infer some of what the Transverse (for short) tech means, it insinuates that it means an object can be existing basically in two places at once, both in time and distance. Phasing would be a dual existence along the electromagnetic spectrum only. In a sense it's becoming something like light itself and maintaining integrity. It's not about needing to fold space but it's necessary for making a craft capable of navigating a wormhole and is a direct result of the developments at Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators. The two dual states reflected in these two techs, Phasing and Transverse would be differing types of dual states. Some weaponries would affect each differently.

I was holding the Transverse tech to be a development that really only will eventually apply to the spacefaring upgrades of these 'last of the naval' units. (Hopefully among a much more intricate tech tree developed out into this region of tech developments.)

One envisionable difference in warfare application: Transverse would enable one ship to surround an enemy ship as it can exist in 20 different places at once around the enemy ship. Phasing would not. Locationally, a phased ship would still have its one location.

I'm going to have to look deeper at my original intentions for swapping the two so can't comment on THAT quite yet BUT I do think that such an early computing tech simply should be named Early Computing and we should then find a good place to fit Personal Computers. Splitting the tech in two basically seems to be the answer here.

I think the PC development was a major turning point and should have its own place in our histories. I suggest x81/y13 with prereqs of Semiconductors, Television and Microwaves (if that seems appropriate to those who know computing science better than I do - or simply Modern Physics otherwise). So tentatively I'm proposing to then keep Semiconductors and EARLY Computing right where they are and I'll have to rethink the impact on these ships.

And I can agree that early computing as it's been discussed here is also important... BUT it needs some further thought as to what exactly it will unlock since almost everything on Computers now would be moved on to the new PC tech.

I'll update my chartings on these after this discussion gets sorted out or unless you want to see how it all looks in any particular spots.

Vacuum tubes played a big part in early magnetic tape recorders. In the late 60's the vacuum tube was replaced with the transistor. Magnetic tape was still used in university computer labs as late as the early 1980's. ( I had a short sighted Cobol Prof in 1980 that still kept us using punch cards when the CRTs were available in the computing labs. ((She caused me to eventually change majors. Only class I ever failed and I had a 4.0 grade avg before that semester. :mad: :p And by switching Majors when I did I never got my degree. That's what really hurt. :( )))

I also used magnetic tape recorders and Radios in the Military in the early 70's as part of my MOS.

JosEPh

Business was still using magnetic tape until the late 1980's, I know because I got a thank-you note from the operators when I wrote a program to remove no longer needed records off the main data file and onto an archive. The file went from 6 tapes of data to one and a half.:cool:

Aside, the year before I finished my degree, a lady finished what she and the admin people thought was enough for a degree and she was going onto do a PhD when they discovered that it was not enough. She had Maths and Computing but no Science so they had to make a new degree or lose her. Which is why I have a "BSc (Mathematics)".

I agree the name needs improved and I was thinking similarly but I'd prefer Urban Gangs at least as it really denotes the tech to be a Crime tech as it's intended.

But then it would be a crime. This is a hard tech to quantify and describe since unbran culture can be independent of their nation, however your also trying to include the crime aspect too. The Solmali Pirate for example I do not think is Inner City Gang Culture at all. If anything its a whole 3rd world militant or even terrorist problem. Perhaps the tech should be called "Urban Terrorism" or just "Terrorism" or something like that. Drug Distributors on the other hand could still be under Counterculture tech.

Good catch. We have a few options here to solve this. I would propose:

1) Make them run concurrent. If you look at our current tech progress in RL we're currently making rapid progress on both and we do actually have some weaponized laser systems in use now. They are mostly in use as missile interception weaponry but can be used to great effect against other air forces as well.

2) Therefore the Railgun (being a Heavy Railgun - fires very heavy and hugely impacting shots but takes a bit to cool off between uses to do so safely so does not fire at a rate much greater than our current artillery batteries) Battery would be an anti-ground unit building while...

3) The Laser Battery would have a much lesser (but compounding) effect on ground units (and would increase the minimum defense for entry since it would have a lethal effect on those units that approach closely) but would also contain some enhancement to interception (if a new tag is needed for this I'll be happy to oblige as part of the project.)

4) The Laser Battery as you've probably got it currently envisioned (as a suitable replacement for the Railgun battery) would probably be best encompassed as an Ion Battery building.

5) Rapid Railgun Batteries would also open up at Microgenerators and I don't see it really obsoleting or being an upgrade of any of the above so perhaps should also run concurrent and allow cities to really grow strong in their defenses.

We'll have to further evaluate these particular buildings very soon I think. For now, the most appropriate action would be to keep Railgun Battery at Railguns and rename the Laser Battery to Ion Battery and move it to Ion Weaponry to give them enough time between making Ion Batteries the upgrade that replaces the Railgun Battery.

Choice 4 is probably the best way to go. There should be enough space between Railguns and Ion Beam Weaponry tech.

Yeah this was a hotspot I may have overlooked trying to patch up at the time I was working on this. However...

I did come to realize that there's really two degrees of Invisibility development we're talking about here. One (the one we nearly have) is based on new materials that bend light as it hits the object and other optical tricks. It makes for an invisibility that is not absolute and total. Invisible objects and people can be spotted as there are slight disturbances that allow detection for the truly alert to catch onto.

The second phase, the one I think was reflected in the original Invisibility tech placement, would be photonic field manipulation. I'd been thinking of including photon shields anyhow. They would absolutely bend light around the object or person in a radius around the object. This would be an absolute defense against laser weaponry as well and I've got an interesting concept coming together about shielding that should make the late game quite intriguing strategically (having to decide what kind of shielding to use on your units as they can't overlap ) and a need for a perfect defense against lasers and strong defense against Ion beams had emerged as a gap in that scheme. So I was thinking about putting such a tech in anyhow.

Calling this technology Cloaking would actually fit quite well there as my layout doesn't have ships with the built-in ability until Droid ships and the current invisibility tech lies between Shockwave and Droid ships. This will enable me to generate some cool interactions with equipment for upgrading Shockwave ships and will enable the Droid ships nicely. Since the photon shielding would BE cloaking then I don't have to struggle to try to make all Droid ships have it (just enforce that those that do ALSO have Photon rather than other forms of shielding.)

So yeah, perfect. Simply rename the current invis tech to be Cloaking really makes a perfect fit.

I'll work in Photon Shields around that as well then.

As for the Special Infantry, I suspect there will be a lot of eventual repositioning of land units with similar evaluations to come so I'm not going to stress on that at the moment. I suppose we can leave it at Cloaking for now.

Awesome! Glad we are sorting this out now. And I think Special Infantry were suppose to be like Invisible infantry. This is a very oild unit from RoM/AND days so we could always rework the unit or even make the unit into two units Invisible and Cloaked.

1) Lunar Manufacturing becomes a major inspiration for the scientists to start considering better ways to transport objects than the mechanical methods we have so far. It becomes a study platform as initially use on Earth is considered a bit dangerous to the very integrity of the planet tectonics.

2) Adaptation of Mass Driver technologies actually lead directly to what enables our command of sound to this extent. I theorize that it's found that by running a Mass Driver 'dry' it creates such a soundwave that it can forcefully push objects about. Adaptations to miniaturize and then further adaptations to shape these sound waves enables the final tech discovery of Sonic Telekinetics, the application of which unlocks Sonic Shielding and Sonic Blast weaponry.

Note: the theories surrounding this technology are already well proven in RL. Generating controlled sound waves in such volume and shaping it with ease is what we lack. Therefore it surely wouldn't be too far off from where we are now when we can work with the technology with this degree of effectiveness.

Ok thanks for explaining why.
A great deal of energy is necessary to build up to the capacity to safely contain such a smallscale fusion reaction. An element of the engine design allows us to (as in Back to the Future) use castoff biological material to fuel the building energies necessary to push to the point where the reaction may be maintained. Additionally, breaking them down into the materials needed to generate the reaction takes place inside the engine as well (some very advanced biological chemistry enables us to rebond all the materials, even at a submolecular level, into fusionable fuel thus obsoleting the need for tricky uranium handling.) This mechanism would have been further explored and developed at the stage of Enhanced Consumables so it's the advancements in chemistry and physics that are taking place there that eventually enable the invention and application of the Shockwave engine, both for personal and military application.

And people love it because it's very clean - and advanced work with Fusion at this point has made it quite safe as we can kill the switch VERY quickly and will default to a rapid shutdown if suffering intense and sudden damage. Thus finally it's actually safe to use as a vehicular energy source.

Ah ok. It was confused when say "super corn" makes Fusion plants run better. But I suppose if you going to fuel it it should have some sort of fuel that will work the best for it (Ex Crude Oil vs Refined Oil).

Shielding represents something more advanced. Electromagnetic Shielding would be a repellent and a deflecting field but can be penetrated while Shielding is far more solid. In a sense, Shielding represents 'advanced shielding' while 'advanced shielding' a magnitude of power beyond that. I would think of an Electromagnetic Shield as a single repelling field and Shielding as an actual force field - a Pair of extremely HIGH powered Electromagnetic Shields sandwiching a layer of air with such compression that it becomes solid thus enabling a far more material deflection and protection.

I may yet split the Energy Shield CC into 3 entirely different categories to represent all three of these stages but initially I've been thinking that I'd keep them all as 'Energy Shields' and simply upgrade them via stages of equipment eventually.

Gamewise, Shielding comes far toooooo late for Combat Class plans and far too close to Advanced Shielding to enable gradiated progression among unit upgrade paths. Putting Electromagnetic Shielding where proposed will enable greater granularity to show up in unit upgrade chains and equipment development.

So they are filling the same role its just the level of technology. Such as Chainmail vs Kevlar. And splitting Energy Shield CC sounds like a good idea.

Yes... placing it a bit later than building and large vehicular applications of laser weapons that take a lot of energy and size such that effective handheld lasers need a bit more development to make truly useful in comparison to other concurrent weapons available to ground soldiers. At Wireless Electricity and Exoskeletal Armor you almost have it (and it's already been applied to large Mechs much earlier) but a little work to greatly enhance the handheld laser makes it finally a truly lethal handheld weapon.

I realized that later once I got to the Ion Beam Weaponry tech.
To clarify, an Ion Beam is basically what is created when you turn on a particle accelerator. Miniaturized so that it doesn't require miles of tubing (though still requiring a unit of fairly large size so is only ever Large Vehicular or Building based) and weaponized, these throw streams of super accelerated molecules (what type matters little here as the speed makes such physics almost irrelevant) at the enemy and thus become something like a laser but a bit more 'physical' and far more penetrating and powerful. Just requires a LOT of energy.

The result is a cutting beam that has the power shown by Cyclops in the Wolverine: X-Men origins movie.

I know there are later beam techs (much later) such as Disintegration and Anti-Matter but these are different. Disintigration is a field disruption ray that causes matter to break down to the sub-molecular level and scatter. Anti-Matter Beams basically completely eradicate matter by completely negating its existence. They're almost entirely equivalent in strength and capacity but differ in ranges of shaping these forces in weaponized contexts and how the shield types interact with them. Ion Beams, however, are very one-trick ponies with an unparallelled capacity to puncture.

The main weakness of an Ion Beam is that it CAN be deflected (or defracted) by some materials and electromagnetic forces at the right angles and an opposing beam targeted just right CAN counter the majority of the stream for a moment until both stream sources are destroyed by what particles can sneak through the oncoming particles. For its induction, it's an absolutely devastating weapon. It takes some further time and development to miniaturize it enough to be on anything BUT a massive Shockwave Battleship. (Keeping with the Biggest, Baddest, Newest philosophy of Battleship roles on these charts.)

Yeah I realize what it is. When I was in high school I had a super hero character that has particle accelerator rifle. Here is a drawing of him. However this was a comic so it was not that realistic.

Works for me. Or simply rename Naval Aviation to Naval Flight and keep Advanced Aviation as the moniker seems to work for me.
:crazyeye: I think somthing got mixed up here. I am saying ...

Current Name -> New Name
- Flight -> Flight
- Naval Aviation -> Naval Flight
- Aviation -> Aviation
- Advanced Flight -> Advanced Aviation

Since only a few nations developed Zeplins I'd be keen to make it an optional tech entirely.

I disagree, even if they did not make it they should know of them. Likewise Blimps are used commercially even today.

Under this proposal Electronics is necessary for Modern Physics so it would be redundant.

Ok so Modern Physics AND Radar. Cool.

Sonar IS a prereq for Radar...

Yeah I know but when you have researched Sonar it will tell you what techs it leads to. Which is currently Radar and Deep Sea Exploration. With your proposal Deep Sea Exploration will be hidden at Sonar tech. I also still think that Deep Sea Exploration should not require Radar, only Sonar.

I looked and they don't so it was a good catch on your part.
Oh good.

Anti-grav tech would allow an item to be attached to another item that forces that item to 'fall' away from the Earth, inversing the gravitational pull of existing gravitational fields. It could create a small local field that causes things within it to behave as if gravity has been reversed within this location. It cannot create or remove gravity itself. It can only enhance the effect, counter the effect or inverse the effect of an existing source of gravity (such as the planet.) In essence it's much like a very powerful density control, able to create even an 'inverse' density.

We actually can do this already. Not with Fields as has been proposed here, but with our scant understanding of the odd physics involved in mono-atomic gold. It's been found that heating mono-atomic gold it, unlike anything else we know of in nature, actually loses density at a molecular level. Superheated it's capable of taking an inverse density (aka it gets to the point where it floats rather than sinks or repels rather than attracts in reaction to gravitational force.) This IS antigravity. We have it... it just takes far too much power to do anything significant with it, far too much heat to contain to a useful degree. And keeping the gold mono-atomic during all these heatings and coolings becomes a trick. Gold's natural form is bi-atomic meaning it's bonded to itself in pairs when found naturally. It's a very fascinating subject though. I've based my own Sci-Fi writings on this effect among other theories regarding mono-atomic metals.

Yeah I have seen a thing where they can levitate a frog within the fields. However this seems more like magnetizing the frog.

Then we should just kill that tech. Gravity Control should precede the ability to stabilize a singularity wouldn't you think? Without Gravity Control there's really no way to even approach a singularity safely. Even Planet and Star creation seems to be something that could reasonably be expected would come AFTER such field control.

I'm not a fan of the 'Euclidean' techs in general really since they don't give a clue to any non-physicist what they actually do unless you research the tech in the pedia perhaps.

Well I am not entirely sure what Civ Fuehrer ment by that. 5D Artifical Gravity could mean gravity in the 5t dimension? I am not sure.

I can see taking Gravity Control away from the prereqs for Interstellar Colonization except that the Gravity Field engines that this naval phase is indicating is implied here as a prerequisite for the HUGE seedships that have the same operational capabilities as these naval vessels in addition to interstellar thrust engines (which these military monstrosities DON'T have so as to maintain a huge focus on weapon systems - they'd be far more powerful than most interstellar ships until MUCH larger vessels and would probably upgrade later into fleet ships very similar to Star Destroyers from Star Wars that DO merge this amount of military might with long range deep space exploration capabilities.)

This actually presumes that we'll be extending the Galactic era beyond this point significantly. I know I'd like to see a lot more there. But what we have now is a good point to develop up to at the moment imo.

Well for spaceships atlast the propulsion methods were ..

Solid Rocket = 7km/s, 1mN (mega newton = 1,000,000 newtons), very limited fuel, used for moon(s)

Liquid Rocket = 14km/s, 1mN, very limited fuel, used for moon(s)

Ion Thruster = 600km/s, 1cN (centi-newton) used for solar system traversal

Solar Sails (only be used to reduce inner solar system maintenance)

VASIMR = 900km/s, 1kN settle Alpha Centauri or equivalent

Magnetic Sails (only be used to reduce overall solar system maintenance)

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion = 15,000km/s, 10tN trade with Alpha Centauri more efficiently but cannot settle with since thrust would crush a person.

ACNPP = 62,000km/s, 60tN trading only

Antimatter Rocket = 100,000km/s, 1pN (petaNewton) strictly terrestrial probes, thrust would crush anything not actually attached to the craft.

Neutrino Oscillation Pulse = 9,000tm/s (terameters) Pulse only lasts one second, but must be within a black hole's gravity range to enter a wormhole or craft would self terminate from thrust.

Wormhole traversal (needs Neutrino Oscillation Pulse to enter successfully or craft will be destroyed by the singularity, otherwise wormholes would only be used for fast communications)

Folding Space = fold limited amounts of space at any one time, roughly 1ly - 100ly (light years)(only enough to explore galaxy, game winner)

Space Creasing = fold larger amounts of space at any one time, roughly 1,000ly - 1,000,000,000ly(only enough for intra-galactic trading)

Remember there are no FTL "warp drives" however folding space and space creasing would be FTL. Also unlike say Star Trek, their movement would be instantaneous. Or at the very least though a tunnel in the wormhole.

5 space geometry just sits there at the moment as a nearly useless and purposeless rung along the route to the last tech. And I don't think I'd be alone in reading it and thinking "Gee... what the hell does that mean?" and leaving it at that.

No offense intended to CF who I'm sure based this model on some good theoretical research. Just not so good for game design imo. And despite the BEST physics theories of our modern era, SOME assumptions we're currently making are GOING to prove false. Easy enough to envision this being one of them since it's terribly theoretical and alternative theories not only exist but could clearly tweak our current understandings of how we'll enable ourselves to do something (in this case generation of gravitational fields.)

I think you should talk to Civ Fuehrer before removing that tech. Perhaps he has a good reason why.

So it would seem. Sorta.

If you look at the tech tree and what it unlocks and infer some of what the Transverse (for short) tech means, it insinuates that it means an object can be existing basically in two places at once, both in time and distance. Phasing would be a dual existence along the electromagnetic spectrum only. In a sense it's becoming something like light itself and maintaining integrity. It's not about needing to fold space but it's necessary for making a craft capable of navigating a wormhole and is a direct result of the developments at Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators. The two dual states reflected in these two techs, Phasing and Transverse would be differing types of dual states. Some weaponries would affect each differently.

I was holding the Transverse tech to be a development that really only will eventually apply to the spacefaring upgrades of these 'last of the naval' units. (Hopefully among a much more intricate tech tree developed out into this region of tech developments.)

One envisionable difference in warfare application: Transverse would enable one ship to surround an enemy ship as it can exist in 20 different places at once around the enemy ship. Phasing would not. Locationally, a phased ship would still have its one location.

Well the game concept I really liked from Civ Fuehrer's 4D Melee Unit(s) As he says ...

(shot projectiles won't be able to toggle dimensional plane in which it exists to physically damage 3D objects)

From a game point a of view it brings everything full circle.

But then it would be a crime. This is a hard tech to quantify and describe since unbran culture can be independent of their nation, however your also trying to include the crime aspect too. The Solmali Pirate for example I do not think is Inner City Gang Culture at all. If anything its a whole 3rd world militant or even terrorist problem. Perhaps the tech should be called "Urban Terrorism" or just "Terrorism" or something like that. Drug Distributors on the other hand could still be under Counterculture tech.
We can go with Urban Culture. I'd wanted to later suggest moving Counterculture back a bit so that it's in the 60's region rather than the 70's/80's as it is now and suggest another tech to go between but I get where you're coming from as well. That said, Somali Pirates are basically just street gangs that are now running the place in absence of any higher authorities. So I do think they qualify albeit they are ALSO militants (though I'd not call them terrorists as I'd assign that term more to violent actions taken to achieve political aims. Somali pirates are just trying to survive their otherwise unsurvivable situations for the most part.)

Choice 4 is probably the best way to go. There should be enough space between Railguns and Ion Beam Weaponry tech.
I wasn't meaning to suggest them all to be options compared to one another but a set of actions to take all at once. However, for now, yes, as suggested, doing this would allow us to keep the buildings pretty much as they are with as little re-evaluation and tweaking as possible.

Awesome! Glad we are sorting this out now. And I think Special Infantry were suppose to be like Invisible infantry. This is a very oild unit from RoM/AND days so we could always rework the unit or even make the unit into two units Invisible and Cloaked.
Yeah, that's what I mean... the land units of the late game are very out of harmony with any kind of strategic angles really and will eventually (and I stress eventually here because I can only focus on so much at once) need some serious full re-evaluation.

Ah ok. It was confused when say "super corn" makes Fusion plants run better. But I suppose if you going to fuel it it should have some sort of fuel that will work the best for it (Ex Crude Oil vs Refined Oil).
The intended beauty of the Shockwave Engine is that it IS a nuclear reactor that runs on pure garbage basically. But I suppose for the large scale or military operated vehicles they would indeed want something that would be completely optimal so as to demand the least amount of waste/maintenance. Said fuel would probably be invented at Enhanced Consumables.

So they are filling the same role its just the level of technology. Such as Chainmail vs Kevlar. And splitting Energy Shield CC sounds like a good idea.
Alright - I've already added a number of new shield CCs and plan at least one more so a couple more won't hurt (though I might allow those at Shielding and Advanced Shielding to generally be the same 'type'.)

Yeah I realize what it is. When I was in high school I had a super hero character that has particle accelerator rifle. Here is a drawing of him. However this was a comic so it was not that realistic.
He looks cool though.

:crazyeye: I think somthing got mixed up here. I am saying ...

Current Name -> New Name
- Flight -> Flight
- Naval Aviation -> Naval Flight
- Aviation -> Aviation
- Advanced Flight -> Advanced Aviation
I caught what you were saying and simply stated mine incorrectly. That said, I'd be quite happy with that suggestion and any further negotiation would be for no reason whatsoever as it's a very suitable solution.

I disagree, even if they did not make it they should know of them. Likewise Blimps are used commercially even today.
Hmm... ok but making it a prereq for Modern Physics seems silly. Perhaps demanding its development prior to Advanced Aviation would fit better.

Yeah I know but when you have researched Sonar it will tell you what techs it leads to. Which is currently Radar and Deep Sea Exploration. With your proposal Deep Sea Exploration will be hidden at Sonar tech. I also still think that Deep Sea Exploration should not require Radar, only Sonar.
I'd have to check but I think this came up as an issue with a later sub type that should've demanded Sonar existed by then... I understand what you're saying there though.

Yeah I have seen a thing where they can levitate a frog within the fields. However this seems more like magnetizing the frog.
And as far as anti-grav 'fields' go (as opposed to anti-grav materials such as superheated monoatomic gold) the current physics understanding points us to electromagnetism to achieve it. It's still only manipulating the effect on a region in relation to existing gravitational fields rather than creating gravity.

The difference between the two would be very obvious in deep space as anti-grav would have absolutely no effect since there's no sources of gravity anywhere nearby enough to have any pull but an artificial gravitational field on the other hand have a very profound effect.

Well I am not entirely sure what Civ Fuehrer ment by that. 5D Artifical Gravity could mean gravity in the 5t dimension? I am not sure.
I do wonder if there are more ways to enhance the concept that could be encapsulated in this tech. I'm happy to leave it but not happy to consider it to make unnecessary the addition of a new tech that makes the flow of unlocking units follow a reasonable stage of progression. I don't want all the units to end up unlocking at the same tech - you'll see they vary quite a bit based on what weaponry has been unlocked etc... In most cases, the pattern is that the engine is discovered first and one or two weaker ships open up immediately and then more powerful weapon systems open up the Cruisers, Battleships and Carriers. Subs are a bit of a wildcard - sometimes they are very early in the set while other times they're very late - if they are later they tend to have stronger weaponry or other 'powers' to compensate.

Forcing us to wait for gravity manipulation till the last tech in the game means all the ships have to unlock at that last tech... not cool.

Well for spaceships atlast the propulsion methods were ..

Remember there are no FTL "warp drives" however folding space and space creasing would be FTL. Also unlike say Star Trek, their movement would be instantaneous. Or at the very least though a tunnel in the wormhole.
The Gravity Drive would not be very comparable in speeds to many of these except perhaps the earlier ones but it would be without compromise in its ability to handle huge sized objects (ships) within any variety of existing gravitational fields (like that of a planet) without requiring those ships to have any other cumbersome aeronautics or other propulsion systems. It would be extremely maneuverable but those vessels using it would be designed to be absolutely monolithic. The Seed Ships get away with having an interstellar drive system (one of those listed above) AND a Gravity Drive because they aren't having to try to fit lots of mind-bogglingly power consuming weapon systems as well. Interplanetary warships would not spend the energy on the Gravity Drive and keep it to the weapons and the interstellar drive systems.

With Folding Space and wormholes however, you'd be generating portals from point a to point b so it's not really pertinent to any kind of 'movement points' as the game normally has - more a matter of a new mission function like an airdrop that takes you anywhere (perhaps leaving planets plenty of berth for their safety.) In otherwords it won't obsolete the need for advanced drive systems.

I think you should talk to Civ Fuehrer before removing that tech. Perhaps he has a good reason why.
I'd love him to join this conversation... can you do me a favor and PM him... I'm going to be taking most of the 'night off' here.

Well the game concept I really liked from Civ Fuehrer's 4D Melee Unit(s) As he says ... (yada)
I'm simply trying to suggest that there are two stages of that kind of functionality that can exist here. In simple terms, one could say the first, Phasing, would be for vehicles, while the second can work for even infantry. Again, the second stage would introduce yet more functionality than mere phasing as well.

If we MUST avoid adding a Phasing tech it CAN be made a part of Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators since the description suggest it's almost what phasing is about (though it expresses it as a burst where the concept of phasing takes it to a more controlled behavior where the altered state of insubstantiality can be maintained, deepened, or lightened very gradually.)

Waiting until Transverse Euclidean Geometry I feel moves the last to qualify units in this bunch far to out towards the end of the tech tree and far too far away from where the other units have begun to unlock.

Hmm... ok but making it a prereq for Modern Physics seems silly. Perhaps demanding its development prior to Advanced Aviation would fit better.

Fair enough. As long as you have researched Zeppelins before you can research Modern Physics.

I'd have to check but I think this came up as an issue with a later sub type that should've demanded Sonar existed by then... I understand what you're saying there though.

Well since Sonar and Radar are so close to each other I do not think that having only Sonar will be a big impact on the later techs since most other techs do not require Deep Sea Exploration anyways. They can get Radar though other techs.

I do wonder if there are more ways to enhance the concept that could be encapsulated in this tech. I'm happy to leave it but not happy to consider it to make unnecessary the addition of a new tech that makes the flow of unlocking units follow a reasonable stage of progression. I don't want all the units to end up unlocking at the same tech - you'll see they vary quite a bit based on what weaponry has been unlocked etc... In most cases, the pattern is that the engine is discovered first and one or two weaker ships open up immediately and then more powerful weapon systems open up the Cruisers, Battleships and Carriers. Subs are a bit of a wildcard - sometimes they are very early in the set while other times they're very late - if they are later they tend to have stronger weaponry or other 'powers' to compensate.

Forcing us to wait for gravity manipulation till the last tech in the game means all the ships have to unlock at that last tech... not cool.

Well I think we are putting the cart before the horse in this case. The Galactic Era is VERY bare bones and we should really develop it a lot ore before trying to add late game units. Or if we do add units know they are subject to major tweaking. I mean before MrAzure remade the Transhuman era the tech tree was much different. So much so that the whole Lunar and Martian colonization had to be re-thought since there was way too much of a gap between going to space and going to the moon.

With Folding Space and wormholes however, you'd be generating portals from point a to point b so it's not really pertinent to any kind of 'movement points' as the game normally has - more a matter of a new mission function like an airdrop that takes you anywhere (perhaps leaving planets plenty of berth for their safety.) In otherwords it won't obsolete the need for advanced drive systems.

Exactly. Airdrops for spaceships. Meaning on a galactic map and not a terrestrial map.

I'd love him to join this conversation... can you do me a favor and PM him... I'm going to be taking most of the 'night off' here.

Sure. Hopefully he is still around to find it.

I'm simply trying to suggest that there are two stages of that kind of functionality that can exist here. In simple terms, one could say the first, Phasing, would be for vehicles, while the second can work for even infantry. Again, the second stage would introduce yet more functionality than mere phasing as well.

If we MUST avoid adding a Phasing tech it CAN be made a part of Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators since the description suggest it's almost what phasing is about (though it expresses it as a burst where the concept of phasing takes it to a more controlled behavior where the altered state of insubstantiality can be maintained, deepened, or lightened very gradually.)

Waiting until Transverse Euclidean Geometry I feel moves the last to qualify units in this bunch far to out towards the end of the tech tree and far too far away from where the other units have begun to unlock.

Yeah I understand what your saying. However this deep in the tree its hard to even debate this stuff since we might as well be debating magic. Having Phasing (vehicles) and 4D Units at Transverse Euclidean Geometry could work. However he had ...

--- 4D UAVs

This places 4D vehicles after the units. So I am wondering if its working backwards in that vehicles are to big to use until later. Meaning the smaller the mass the easier to 4D.

Likewise in real life I wonder if any of these are correct. It could be that moving though 4D space doesn't matter if its an infantry unit or a vehicle. :crazyeye:

@TB

Looking though the original The Ascent of Mankind thread.

Euclidean 5-Space Geometry(reqs Transverse Euclidean Geometry, Singularity Stabilization)
- Five dimensional mass gives gravity for 3-4 dimensional crafts

So this would indeed be Artificial Gravity for 3D and 4D ships.

Also ...

The theory in which the 4th dimension is a space in a space hidden from 3 dimensional beings is called Euclidean Four Space Geometry. The fabled ability to visit the 4th dimension is given from your future civ. This means that the technology itself is a freak of nature, being an infinite loop through time. The only downside to this is that to harm 3 dimensional beings, you must be in the 3rd dimension, which disallows simple bullets to wage war and needs the carrier to switch dimensions to hurt or be hurt therefore putting melee war back into play in the late game.

In the movie The Flight of the Navigator, a boy is taken by a craft that can change shape speed etc. This type of ship has no visible 3 dimensional propulsion, electronics or rigid body. It is this technology that has a 4 dimensional craft with a 3 dimensional cockpit allowing the user to go anywhere at any speed within the third dimension.

The ability to reach the fifth dimension is just a test that humans endowed upon themselves to test their own knowledge of how dimensions work in general. It was accidentally discovered when five colleges and a few governments had a race in the fourth dimension to build a machine made from the fourth dimensional flavors of neutrinos that could reach 0 kelvin and instead had the opposite reaction, making the neutrinos slam into the fourth dimensional wall, causing a warped hole into the fifth dimension.

Phasing isn't the same as 4D though. The 4th dimension (mathematically) is time itself. This makes 4D travel much different than Phasing where Phasing is simply a 'state alteration' which is discussed how this is achieved in a burst of a moment in the description for Transtangible Neutrino Accelerators. Phasing is just a 'held' state of transtangibility. This is not 4D which is basically an ability to exist in multiple places and timeframes at once. The effect is similar but a lot more 'complete' with 4D and there are more 'abilities' that come with a 4D state.

Well I think we are putting the cart before the horse in this case. The Galactic Era is VERY bare bones and we should really develop it a lot ore before trying to add late game units. Or if we do add units know they are subject to major tweaking. I mean before MrAzure remade the Transhuman era the tech tree was much different. So much so that the whole Lunar and Martian colonization had to be re-thought since there was way too much of a gap between going to space and going to the moon.
The fact that it is subject to great tweaking is something I hope will eventually take place... not so much tweaking the units themselves necessarily but their positioning in relation to things, sure. This is a patch design but it's still quite thorough in providing a scaling development for these unit developments. For now, with the advent of 3 additional techs it all fits to play out in a nicely unfolding strategic mechanism and can give a little more depth and applicability to a stage of the game that is desperately underdeveloped at the moment but is still something I'm sure players strive to reach.

RE the Gravity Generation, I'd love him to join our conversation and explain why its critical to keep things in the order they're in at least. Or if there is some approach he can envision that suits all needs.

My view on designing future technologies is in agreement with you that we're basically debating the progress of magical capability discoveries and this means to me that we should sculpt as the game needs and as makes sense enough to warrant it rather than sticking to any preplotted plans or adherence to modern theory that hasn't taken those game development angles into consideration. Making these ships require gravity control to come from the last tech in the game is not conducive to the design of tech access for these ships so there should be no reason not to allow some tree re-crafting to enable a better staging of unlocking unit access. Make sense?

EDIT: Additionally, this is not good for the game as it takes a phase of logical development completely out of the realm of applicability before it's already obsoleted:
CF said:
It is this technology that has a 4 dimensional craft with a 3 dimensional cockpit allowing the user to go anywhere at any speed within the third dimension.
He's talking about
CF said:
--- 4D UAVs
right? So where's the benefit in then mastering gravitational control as a propulsion mechanism AFTER this stage of development? We're cutting out a whole game feature and significant growth stage to put gravity control after the ability to be wherever you want whenever you want wouldn't you say?

Fair enough. As long as you have researched Zeppelins before you can research Modern Physics.

What relevance do zeppelins have to modern physics? Planck, Rutherford, Bohr, Einstein et al certainly had no need of aviation experience in their field.

Top Bottom