Airlift Bug - Military Units Stuck - Reproducable (Infinitely)

Something2Witty

Chieftain
I've only played BNW up to the modern eras once now; in that playthrough, however, airlifting military units seems broke.

Civilian airlifts work fine. They appear on their hex and respond normally. However, military units, once airlifted, get stuck on their destination hex. They cannot move during the remainder of that turn (as they are supposed to), nor can they take any action on any following turns.

Between turns, when the AI is playing, the stuck units' unit circles/cards light back up (like a normal working unit) as if they will work fine the next turn. However, when control is given back to me/the player, those stuck units' circles/cards are greyed out again as if they have exhausted their movements for that turn (when they have done nothing).

Military units that are stuck (100% of those I tried to airlift) remain stuck for the remainder of the game. Some units continued to be stuck over approx. 50 turns without fix.

I do not know if the stuck units are capable of defending themselves between turns; I haven't seen any of them attacked.

Attachments

• Instant Game.Civ5Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
Just an idea: Could it have something to do with auto end turn? Do you have enabled by any chance? And if so, did you try to manually select and move one of those military units before any of your non air-lifted units?

Just an idea: Could it have something to do with auto end turn? Do you have enabled by any chance? And if so, did you try to manually select and move one of those military units before any of your non air-lifted units?

I do not believe it has something to do with the auto turn. It is not enabled.

Conversely, I think it may have something to do with how the game carries out multi-turn unit moves. Similar to how the game will move a unit over multiple turns or manage each turn that a worker builds, I believe the game may be stuck in a continuous cycle where the units continue to think they are still in the process of an airlift and therefore their movement points are used up.

I have tried, however, to "cancel current move" and that did not work. I also tried the Backspace keyboard command to no avail. No option to delete the affected units appeared either.

Lastly, yes I still did try to move the affected units both before all other units, after all other units, and during the AI movement phase. All three failed.

I confirm your description of airlifted military units being stuck. I wonder if this is an artifact of your already having won a cultural victory (and presumably chose to keep playing)? Did you have this problem before winning the game?

I confirm your description of airlifted military units being stuck. I wonder if this is an artifact of your already having won a cultural victory (and presumably chose to keep playing)? Did you have this problem before winning the game?

Yes I did. The problem presented with the very first military unit airlifted. That occurred approx. 30-40 turns before cultural victory.

Hi in my recent game I noticed that certain units were impossible to move, upgrade or delete - even on a new turn. Further investigation showed that those units were placed within 1 tile of a city with an airport.

I have attached two screenshots and a savegame before the bug activates for mecknes:
  • you can see in turn 591 that mecknes is producing an airport with 1 turn to finish and that both crossbow unit and artillery can be moved
  • upon finishing the turn and completing the airport both units loose their ability to move, upgrade, delete.

The expected outcome would be that both units replenish their movement points on a new turn and can move, upgrade or be deleted.

Attachments

• after airport meknes.jpg
    after airport meknes.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 183
  • 591 before airport.Civ5Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • before airport at meknes.jpg
    before airport at meknes.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 156
I am experiencing similar behaviour. I thought initially that it was caused by the units in question being airlifted (as decribed also here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=504518), but indeed after some testing it seems to be airport-related.

Interesting thing is that during enemy turn if I click on the units in question, they seem to have full movement capabilities, but then at a new turn they again display message "no movement points left".

Just to test it I have demolished one airport and on the next turn the units were free to move again.

I am playing with two mods: R.E.D Modpack, which is only supposed to affect units' graphics and not the saves, and InfoAddict.

Attachments

• Kazimierz III_0650 AD-2000-January.7z
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
Since I am just using the normal DLC´s - it is not connected to the mods.

Eventually the problem disappeared for me.
I was quite annoyed, as it tied down important part of my army, so I razed most airports I had. Then I started to rebuild them one by one, and carefully test it, the problem however was gone, no idea what caused it to appear or disappear...

Moderator Action: Duplicate threads merged.

Edit: To the moderator, could you change the topic name then? The bug seems more connected to the airport building than to the airlifting feature, it's just that it is likely to manifest itself during airlifting. Or at least put the "airport" name to the thread too? Will be easier to find.

I too am using just the BNW basic with no mods, and this problem presented.

For clarification, I did not have the problem described by others where airport proximity was the problem. I only had this problem after an airlift.

Top Bottom